Rear End Creaking

f22beaver

TJ Enthusiast
Well, here's the sound;

This is a 155k mile 2004 with a 4.0, auto trans, and a Dana 44 rear. From the T/C back there is a new U-joint on the driveshaft, new axle bearings and seals, new calipers/pads/rotors, new parking brake shoes, fresh diff fluid, new pinion seal, new rear shocks, new rear sway bar end links.

As soon as I get any speed this sound goes away and it drives fine. But it's annoying as hell and happens at all forward and reverse starts once it's even slightly warmed up. I can leave the garage and it's fine, but by the time I drive it 10-15 minutes I get the creaks.

Any ideas? The Dana 44 doesn't rely on a correct preload, right? Just torque. What else am I missing here? Do I need to inspect gear teeth?

Well. This probably isn't good. I can spin the nut on the lower control arm without spinning the head and the nut is NOT backing off the threads. Can this sound come from an untorqued control arm?

man, i've been hearing a similar creaking noise. I can make it happen when it's not driving though. I've had a friend rock the jeep and can feel the creak in the driver's side lower control arm. I'm guessing it's the bushing, but I definitely want it resolved. It's very prominent when im pulling into my garage at low speed.

Well. This probably isn't good. I can spin the nut on the lower control arm without spinning the head and the nut is NOT backing off the threads. Can this sound come from an untorqued control arm?

Replace the nut and bolt. If that doesn't work, then you need a new control arm.

man, i've been hearing a similar creaking noise. I can make it happen when it's not driving though. I've had a friend rock the jeep and can feel the creak in the driver's side lower control arm. I'm guessing it's the bushing, but I definitely want it resolved. It's very prominent when im pulling into my garage at low speed.

How do you induce the creak while static? Just rocking above that wheel? I'd love to pinpoint the control arm so as to not parts cannon this particular problem.

How do you induce the creak while static? Just rocking above that wheel? I'd love to pinpoint the control arm so as to not parts cannon this particular problem.

Can you remove the bolt that has the nut spinning on it? If not, you need to fix that no matter what. And chances are decent that will include a new control arm after you cut everything free.

Can you remove the bolt that has the nut spinning on it? If not, you need to fix that no matter what. And chances are decent that will include a new control arm after you cut everything free.

Going to take a look when I'm home in about an hour.

Out of curiosity, your comment is not the first time I've heard that people just replace the entire control arm. Is that just due to the simplicity of replacing the entire arm instead of having to try to press out and press in new bushings?

Out of curiosity, your comment is not the first time I've heard that people just replace the entire control arm. Is that just due to the simplicity of replacing the entire arm instead of having to try to press out and press in new bushings?

Cost and ease in replacing arm vs trying not to squish arm when pressing...

Reactions: jjvw

Simplicity over the time and frustration of pressing bushings out and back in.

If that bolt doesn't turn, it is seized inside the inner bushing sleeve. You will need to cut the bolt and replace the arm.

If the bolt spins but won't pull out, then it is seized inside the inner bushing sleeve and that sleeve has separated from the rubber bushing. You will need to cut the bolt and replace the arm.

If the bolt spins but won't pull out, then it is seized inside the inner bushing sleeve and that sleeve has separated from the rubber bushing. You will need to cut the bolt and replace the arm.

Probably the worst of the available options. The nut is spinning on the bolt. So the bolt appears to be intact and is freely spinning, but some threads somewhere have yeeted their way out of the chat.

• Haha
Reactions: hear
Probably the worst of the available options. The nut is spinning on the bolt. So the bolt appears to be intact and is freely spinning, but some threads somewhere have yeeted their way out of the chat.

Replaced and correctly torqued. Fixed nothing. Any other ideas?

Replaced and correctly torqued. Fixed nothing. Any other ideas?

You got one known problem out of the way that would create noise. That is progress.

What are you trying to find? And where is it coming from?

What are you trying to find? And where is it coming from?

Yes. 😁

The sound is in the very first post, so I can't really answer the what or where because I don't know. It is definitely from the rear but past that......who knows?!?! That's my problem.

I can get it to creak by rocking the jeep tub laterally. It’s not as prominent as when I’m moving though. Feels like it could be related to applying the brakes. But IDK.

I can get it to creak by rocking the jeep tub laterally. It’s not as prominent as when I’m moving though. Feels like it could be related to applying the brakes. But IDK.

I have found things by pulling the parking brake and trying to roll back and forth. Same with putting the transmission in gear. And with somebody holding the brake pedal.

Really anything to get stuff moving around and taking the time to feel around and listen.

Carry a jack with you and the moment you hear the creak, get into a parking lot and lift a tire up so you can spin it by hand. Do both sides. If you can make the noise by doing this, you should be able to hear if it is in the hub or the diff or the drive shaft.

The video makes it sound relatively external.

Carry a jack with you and the moment you hear the creak, get into a parking lot and lift a tire up so you can spin it by hand. Do both sides. If you can make the noise by doing this, you should be able to hear if it is in the hub or the diff or the drive shaft.

The video makes it sound relatively external.

Did this earlier today, can't replicate it once in the air. And to take that one step further, it actually only makes the sound when I'm turning. So it has to do with something binding I suspect.

Did this earlier today, can't replicate it once in the air. And to take that one step further, it actually only makes the sound when I'm turning. So it has to do with something binding I suspect.

Front axle shaft u joints?