Rear End Differential Help

sohllis

My rear end differential is toast. I need someone to help point me in the right direction. I saw some hefty prices and quite honestly, I'm hoping I might've looked at something that I don't need. I'm a first time Jeep owner so I'm not too fluent in what I should be looking for besides knowing the ratio of my rear end which is 3.73

Where should I be looking to purchase this setup at? When I search, a lot of how to tell your rear end differential needs to be replaced articles popup instead of helpful information.

I have 35" tires on a 3.5" lift and the ratio I need is 3.73. It's for a TJ Wrangler X (05)

Thanks for any help

I'm guessing stock? Take a pic of the insides, I'n betting you blew up the spiders. However, hard to make recommendations if we don't know whats wrong.

If you want bolt it, you'll have to find a whole housing, but it'll likely be a lot cheaper to just fix whats broken inside.

If it's at all helpful, I replaced my whole front axle housing with a used axle housing I found on eBay.

It was time consuming, but extremely straight forward. That may be the cheapest way to replace your rear end: just buy a whole 'nother one!

Reactions: JMT
Purely a guess but being that it is a "X," it probably has a Dana 35 which is not up to 35's in stock form. Nor is 3.73 enough gearing for 35's. Regardless of what is wrong with it, you are at a point in which you can re-gear both the rear and front as well as beefing up the rear axles, which will come at an expense you may or may not be ready for. Or you can simply find a used rear end with the same ratio and install it on the relative cheap.

Purely a guess but being that it is a "X," it probably has a Dana 35 which is not up to 35's in stock form. Nor is 3.73 enough gearing for 35's. Regardless of what is wrong with it, you are at a point in which you can re-gear both the rear and front as well as beefing up the rear axles, which will come at an expense you may or may not be ready for. Or you can simply find a used rear end with the same ratio and install it on the relative cheap.
Listen to this man.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Drop to 33’s and buy a Dana 35 with 3.73 gears if you’re trying to get out cheap.

Stay with 35’s and Buy a Dana 44 with 3.73 gears for a medium cost.

Stay with 35’s and Buy a Dana 44 and regear both axles if you want to do it right

Reactions: Hammer24