Rear-end Wobble

Gabe

TJ Goon
Supporting Member
Hello,

I have an '05 TJ Sport with a 2.5" lift on 31" tires. Everything was smooth at highway speeds until I washed my Jeep last Friday. After the wash I got back on the highway and the rear-end stared to wobble! Felt like a tamer version of death wobble, but on the rear. I thought something got wet that shouldn't have, but I tried again and that wobble is still going on. Driveshaft, spark plugs, muddy in the rotors?? I'm not sure where to start. When driving under 55mph, everything seems fine.

Thanks,
Gabe

I had a chunk of mud on the inside of a passenger wheel after leaving the 4wd jeep jamboree and damn it shook the jeep like mad.

Reactions: Gabe and StG58
Mud? Sheesh... I would have never thought.

Talk about the cheapest fix ever!

Yeah, when I sprayed off the Jeep I guess I didn't spray the top back part of the rim. It was some nasty clay, so that caused that wicked shimmy! Here's the car I pulled out, those ruts were DEEP! Crazy car driver!

Stuck.jpg

Ummm... Why was that guy even attempting those conditions in that vehicle?

Reactions: Gabe
Yeah, when I sprayed off the Jeep I guess I didn't spray the top back part of the rim. It was some nasty clay, so that caused that wicked shimmy! Here's the car I pulled out, those ruts were DEEP! Crazy car driver!
That is an awesome pic. How long did it take before you stopped laughing?

Reactions: StG58 and Gabe
I asked him what he was thinking and called him a city boy, he didn't like that, but could say anything! Haha. I had to pull him out by his rear rim, probably messed up something. Hope he learned from it!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Chris
Yes, it does indeed.

And the things I see at Pacific City are probably firsthand examples of social Darwinism.

We're talking about guys in cars like this (or other 100% on-road cars with on-road tires) who drive into the sand only to realize 1 minute later, they can't get out.

Like what the hell was going through your mind? Did you REALLY thing your VW Passat with on-road tires was going to make it through the sand?

We get a kick out of sitting there at The Pelican and watching people get stuck. It really makes my day!

It's one of those cruel but honest moments... Like okay, I'm an asshole for basking in other peoples misfortune. However, when you're stupid enough to do something like that in the first place... Well, my humor is warranted.

Reactions: StG58 and Gabe
Well, sad to say, but that wobble is back along with some loud squeaking. I took my Jeep to the local shop and they said it was the driveshaft. They said the sound was coming from the rear driveshaft. I was wondering, should I replace the rear only, or just replace both front and rear? Maybe replace all the u-joints first....:confused:? I was saving for some new tires, but.....:rolleyes:

Just replace the rear and see if that solves it. If not, you may have to replace the front as well.

Did they say if it was the entire driveshaft, or just the u-joints?

Yes, it does indeed.

And the things I see at Pacific City are probably firsthand examples of social Darwinism.

We're talking about guys in cars like this (or other 100% on-road cars with on-road tires) who drive into the sand only to realize 1 minute later, they can't get out.

Like what the hell was going through your mind? Did you REALLY thing your VW Passat with on-road tires was going to make it through the sand?

We get a kick out of sitting there at The Pelican and watching people get stuck. It really makes my day!

It's one of those cruel but honest moments... Like okay, I'm an asshole for basking in other peoples misfortune. However, when you're stupid enough to do something like that in the first place... Well, my humor is warranted.

Same thing at the boat launches down here.

Reactions: Chris