Rear Inner Fender Removal

Johnsbluetj

Has anyone on here removed the inner fenders on their Jeep? I've seen some pics on the internet and it looks kinda cool. I feel like it would be a lot easier to clean and It would get rid of my weird body lift gap. If you've done this can you show me some pictures? Also, any info on it that is beneficial to know? Thank you!

What body lift? ;)
20200314_230933.jpg

Did you paint the inside? If so do you remember what you used? Also, I'm completely jealous of your suspension... It looks amazing and I'm sure it runs even better

The liners have been out for at least 5 years, long before the outboard happened. These days, the liners couldn't go back in even if I wanted them to. I just used black paint. Nothing special.

Reactions: Johnsbluetj
I don't like having them off. They keep mud out of the corners of the tub and protect the paint from rocks. And if you have a later-year model with the vacuum canister in the corner of the tub, it keeps the mud off of that too. Also, having them on makes things easier to clean, because they keep most of the mud out of hard to reach places.

Reactions: Rut Row
Mines been out for a while now too. Aside from the occasional rock/pebble being tossed up there I notice no difference. I think it looks better without.
20190831_130410.jpg

Reactions: B252
Refresh my memory, how many plastic rivets are holding each rear inner fender liner, for a 1999 TJ?

Last edited:
I removed one side a couple of years ago to get at the shock mount and planned to reinstall it. Never did. Never will. The part just keeps getting demoted in the shop and last I remember, I kicked it under a workbench.