Rear Locker Discussion

sunnysideup_lj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I am in the market for a new rear locker. My factory Rubicon locker has left the chat... I have my eyes on an ARB, Eaton E-Locker, Or a trusty Detroit.

I like the idea of doing a 35 spline ARB. I've talked some that say the 35spline doesn't allow for any type of tolerance, so if the axle has any type of bend or warp it will burn up bearings and spider gears in short order. Has anyone had experience with running a 35 spline set up?

Are the horror stories of air locker issues as bad as they are made out to be? It seems install plays a big part of reliability. How are you supplying the air? Powertank? On Board compressors?

Part of me wants to run a Detroit for the simple and reliable reason.

Open to thoughts and opinions, Let me know what you think! Thanks.

There's no valid reason IMHO to go with a 35 spline shaft in a Dana 44, a good quality 4340 30 spline shaft like from Revolution Gear holds up well to pretty much anything you can throw at it with 35's which is the TJ's realistic upper limit with factory axles. I've yet to have a rear axle shaft problem with my 4340 Superior Axle then Revolution Gear 30 spline shafts on mostly very tough to extremely tough trails. Most were pure rock crawling.

And for a locker I'd likely go for an Eaton E-Locker if I ever need a replacement.

JB7.jpg

I am in the market for a new rear locker. My factory Rubicon locker has left the chat... I have my eyes on an ARB, Eaton E-Locker, Or a trusty Detroit.

I like the idea of doing a 35 spline ARB. I've talked some that say the 35spline doesn't allow for any type of tolerance, so if the axle has any type of bend or warp it will burn up bearings and spider gears in short order. Has anyone had experience with running a 35 spline set up?

Are the horror stories of air locker issues as bad as they are made out to be? It seems install plays a big part of reliability. How are you supplying the air? Powertank? On Board compressors?

Im going with ARB and the small compressor to supply the air. Having a shop install

I'm getting ready to throw a ARB in the Dana 30 front. if you actually dig into the locker they are a really simple and robust design. so long as you can deal with getting air to the axle theres not much to go wrong ( you can have air leaks on the way that are annoying) course I already have an ARB single compressor and I got the locker super cheap, so it was kinda a no-brainer for me. I remember reading something about electromagnetic lockers attracting all of the metal particles floating in the gear oil when engaged, but I don't remember seeing anything to really back it up.

I'm getting ready to throw a ARB in the Dana 30 front. if you actually dig into the locker they are a really simple and robust design. so long as you can deal with getting air to the axle theres not much to go wrong ( you can have air leaks on the way that are annoying) course I already have an ARB single compressor and I got the locker super cheap, so it was kinda a no-brainer for me. I remember reading something about electromagnetic lockers attracting all of the metal particles floating in the gear oil when engaged, but I don't remember seeing anything to really back it up.
If you don't already have a selectable locker in the rear I'd strongly consider installing that new ARB in the rear instead of the front. That is if you have a Dana 44 in the rear. Not to mention unlocking the rear makes for a substantially tighter turning radius than unlocking a front locker.

If you don't already have a selectable locker in the rear I'd strongly consider installing that new ARB in the rear instead of the front. That is if you have a Dana 44 in the rear. Not to mention unlocking the rear makes for a substantially tighter turning radius than unlocking a front locker.

I'm open/open right now with a 30/35 on 31's unfortunately the RD101 locker I have is for the Dana 30 carrier only and I'm having a hard time finding one for 3.07 gears and a 35 that dosent cost 1K

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
ARB user here. They've been in for a number of years now and the issues I've experienced are;

1. Pressure solenoid switch failing
2. Journal orings on the seal housings torn

The orings were no fault of ARB. The locker and seal housing have been in and out so many times that it contributed to the wear. I've never had an issue with leaking airlines, they are a poly material that is very durable. I've also never had them catch on anything as they are ziptied out of the way. The small compressor I have (CKMA12) works well too. If you do go ARB, I would recommend rewiring the switch so you can operate F/R lockers independently. They way they are wired, the rear has to be engaged for the front to engage.

My jeep came with front and rear ARBs, love them but I did have rebuild one of them due to a leak (easy other than the usual axle disassembly) so I went ahead and rebuilt both. Also ARB sent me a free replacement brush cap for the small air compressor. They have been very reliable otherwise and I can’t complain because I don’t honestly know how well the prior owner took care of them.

On the side note though, I would choose e-locker over ARB given a choice.

Do you have the factory rear 44? I thought the 33 spline was the biggest you could get for a rear TJ 44.

I have ARBs and I love them. Something I do not like about the Eatons is that they lock and unlock whenever you change direction. It may not be that big a deal, but people have broken the pins in the Eatons by rocking back and forth. The ARBs stay locked when you change direction.

Reactions: sunnysideup_lj

I have had front and rear ARB’s in my LJ for about 4 years. I have the bigger air pump from ARB so I can fill my tires. I have had zero issues with my ARB other than the car wash knocking the switch off the housing. I did purchase the spider gears and axles with the larger spline count. (30 I think) but have not installed yet. I like that arb’s engage and disengage right when you turn them on. I have been with friends running rubicon lockers that get hung up and won’t release. I have not separated the switch circuit as previously mentioned, I must turn on the rear to activate the front. I have not needed to just engage the front and put all that load on the 30. I have not heard horror stories of arb’s. Yes if you run the air line next to the exhaust it will melt, if you let it hang down it will get caught on something and get torn out, so will a wiring harness for an E locker. Use the same care running the air line as a wiring harness and you will have no problems.

Why is that?
It has nothing to do with the units themselves, they are very durable. It’s mor so the fact that you have wiring/fuse, a pump, lines, the actuators, AND seals that all could fail where as the e-lockers have the wire, fuse, and switch.

Simple generally means less potential points of failure

It has nothing to do with the units themselves, they are very durable. It’s mor so the fact that you have wiring/fuse, a pump, lines, the actuators, AND seals that all could fail where as the e-lockers have the wire, fuse, and switch which all could fail.
Simple generally means less potential points of failure
Fixed it

What have you seen better about it besides strength?

There is more certainty that the ARB is locked when I want it to be. I didn't have that with my Rubicon locker. But that could have what been a quirk of my locker. I have also broken two Rubicon lockers, but that's a different story.

There is more certainty that the ARB is locked when I want it to be. I didn't have that with my Rubicon locker. But that could have what been a quirk of my locker. I have also broken two Rubicon lockers, but that's a different story.

That is true… there is no uncertainty with an ARB when it’s locked or not, and it’s instant so that’s nice