Rear mounted tow hook?

I
Where did you order from if you don’t mind me asking? Did you get two kits? One for each side? Thanks

got two of these, one for each side https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GMZRQ8/?tag=wranglerorg-20. I also used a magnetic telescopic tube to help hold the nut in place. Took some finest but it was easy in the end. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PBR5PL/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I already used a rear mounted hook to strap the back of the jeep to a tree with a tree strap and tow strap. Then used winch to drag out a log from the woods. Hook was great!

Reactions: JMT
A 4.75 ton rated shackle in a 1.75 ton rated receiver hitch.

Are the bumpers that have both the recovery points for d ring shackles and the hitch built any differently? My bumper has the tabs for the shackels but I’ve always used the hitch because I felt it was a stronger mounting point.

1A2DEF8D-49A2-4C8D-9876-A8BA734F2827.jpeg

The gray spots are from the swing out tire carrier. I hated the additional step and space needed to open it so I took a grinder to it and went with a stock tire mount.

Last edited:
How can you tell whether or not the tabs are legit or if they are for show?
That depends on the bumper design. My Dirtworx bumper shows the tabs having been through-welded on both the front and rear sides of the bumper. I'd be surprised if yours weren't through-welded too so long as it was commercially made and not from someone's garage.

Thanks Jerry. I'm fairly certain it's a Barricade. Im a bit confused though. The bumper is rated for recovery and doesn't carry a tow rating but the website describes the hitch as a recovery point. Wouldn't a recovery put far more stress than towing a trailer?

Last edited:
Manufacturers became very reluctant to continue rating bumpers for towing strictly for liability reasons. Some bumpers previously rated for towing no longer are for that reason.

Reactions: RedrumRH
Unfortunate reality of the times. I thought it was odd when it didn’t have the tow chain tabs. Now that I know to use the tabs, what do you think a recovery hitch means?

Bad idea for recovery, too much potential leverage against the receiver and its drawbar.

Naaaaaaa! I’ve had it on 7 different Jeeps for over 28 years, nary an issue! I do however know how to install a rear bumper to a Jeep that makes a Tire Carrier/Bumper very stout! It does get wire wheeled/sand blasted from time to time and repainted!

Last edited:
Naaaaaaa! I’ve had it on 7 different Jeeps for over 28 years, nary an issue! I do however know how to install a rear bumper to a Jeep that makes a Tire Carrier/Bumper very stout!
We're all entitled to our opinions.

Bur for your supposedly 28 year old hook that has been used on 7 different Jeeps, it appears to be brand new and unused as it sits on your TJ bumper. I'm confused.

Last edited:
We're all entitled to our opinions.

Bur for your supposedly 28 year old hook that has been used on 7 different Jeeps, it appears to be brand new and unused as it sits on your TJ bumper. I'm confused.

Yep! Every new Jeep and from time to time it gets sand blasted/wire wheel cleaned and new paint! Just picked up the Rubicon a few months back. It has save many Tires and just slides down ledges and rocks easily!

And a big yes on varying opinions, it’s what makes the world go around.