Rear not level

Ramona Wrangler

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
New springs were installed, swapped sides with springs and I still have a 1” sag on the passenger side. New control arms installed, did the torquing with wheels on the concrete. What else could it be? Just install a 1” coil spring spacer?

New springs were installed, swapped sides with springs and I still have a 1” sag on the passenger side. New control arms installed, did the torquing with wheels on the concrete. What else could it be? Just install a 1” coil spring spacer?

How are you measuring (ie what is your reference point?). Also .. was your jeep ever in an accident in the past?

measured springs ..right side it 5/8" shorter than left side...I have sent pics to tire rack. Question, could this spring be in upside down? H & R springs

measured springs ..right side it 5/8" shorter than left side...I have sent pics to tire rack. Question, could this spring be in upside down? H & R springs
Rear springs don't know if they are up or down since both ends are the same pigtail wrap. The only reason front springs know is they are not the same but if they were the same, then they wouldn't know either. There is no magic in physics. The spring compresses x amount per inch according to the rate, that happens regardless of orientation.

Disconnect the sway bar links front and rear. Make sure all the bolts in the arm joints have been tightened at ride height, don't assume or guess, make sure.

If the condition still persists, move to the front springs and swap them side for side and see if the lean follows.

If you swapped them side for side and the lean did not change, it is not that set of springs and Tire Rack who knows fuck all about springs is now just confused. Leave them alone, they don't know how to fix the problem.

Reactions: P man
If you swapped them side for side and the lean did not change, it is not that set of springs and Tire Rack who knows fuck all about springs is now just confused. Leave them alone, they don't know how to fix the problem.
I think autozone may be more knowledgeable than tire rack..or maybe Jim Bob in the wal mart tire center

The springs were not swapped.....my bad on that part......I'm waiting for H & R to open at 8 am....Control Arms were replaced yesterday and torqued with tires on concrete,,,rear was uneven prior to new CA's install. The reason I called TR is because that is where I bought them...incase there is a bad spring, I may get replacements

Rear springs don't know if they are up or down since both ends are the same pigtail wrap. The only reason front springs know is they are not the same but if they were the same, then they wouldn't know either. There is no magic in physics. The spring compresses x amount per inch according to the rate, that happens regardless of orientation.

Disconnect the sway bar links front and rear. Make sure all the bolts in the arm joints have been tightened at ride height, don't assume or guess, make sure.

If the condition still persists, move to the front springs and swap them side for side and see if the lean follows.
I'm trying to avoid as much "on my back" wrenching as I can.

The springs were not swapped.....my bad on that part......I'm waiting for H & R to open at 8 am....Control Arms were replaced yesterday and torqued with tires on concrete,,,rear was uneven prior to new CA's install. The reason I called TR is because that is where I bought them...incase there is a bad spring, I may get replacements
How will they know the spring is bad? You have to prove they are bad by the employ of sound diagnostics. Tires on concrete doesn't mean shit if the concrete isn't reasonably level side to side. (and not normal to have to say this but if the concrete is level side to side, but sloped slightly like driveways are for run off, then you can't park across the slope and tighten them then)

How will they know the spring is bad? You have to prove they are bad by the employ of sound diagnostics. Tires on concrete doesn't mean shit if the concrete isn't reasonably level side to side. (and not normal to have to say this but if the concrete is level side to side, but sloped slightly like driveways are for run off, then you can't park across the slope and tighten them then)
I'm not looking for any hand holding,,,I received a lot of advice here and another forum. I can only take one step at a time. Yes, you know a lot more about Jeeps than I do, but why are you always so grumpy?

• Face Palm
Reactions: TJ Jim
Did the 1" sag exist before the spring swap?

And do not forget the track bars also.

Reactions: mrblaine
I'm not looking for any hand holding,,,I received a lot of advice here and another forum. I can only take one step at a time. Yes, you know a lot more about Jeeps than I do, but why are you always so grumpy?
I'm not grumpy at all, this is my normal demeanor. You can't make this their problem until you can prove it, you can't prove it until you exhaust the other checks to see what is holding it out of level or you have an underlying problem that isn't solved with springs.

there was a total rear end sag, with 2 different springs,,,,,after I put in new springs,,there was this 1" lean/sag/
Where are you measuring? Are you sure what you are measuring is identical on both sides? Is it the frame that leans? Is it the body that leans? Are the body mounts new to eliminate any bushing sag? Did the factory make sure everything is exactly identical on both sides?

Quit fretting about a little lean, it will compensate when you throw your ass in the seat. Or just space the offending side and drive.

Where are you measuring? Are you sure what you are measuring is identical on both sides? Is it the frame that leans? Is it the body that leans? Are the body mounts new to eliminate any bushing sag? Did the factory make sure everything is exactly identical on both sides?

Quit fretting about a little lean, it will compensate when you throw your ass in the seat. Or just space the offending side and drive.
see post #3,,that may help you