Rear Popping / Groaning From Rear

wigsajumper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Recently there has been a groaning/creaking noise coming from the rear axle area. Occasionally there will be a popping when it has been sitting for a few days when first moving.

Had it looked at by the local Jeep dealership when it was in for Oil Change and tire rotation. They couldn't find anything specific.

I attempted a video this morning backing into the parking space and you can make out the noise a bit.

I plan to jack up the rear end next weekend in an attempt to do some trouble shooting, clean out the frame, and do some rust repair/prevention work so any ideas of what to look for would be great.

Start with the simple stuff and check all the bushings in the rear. If you don't know the age of bushings, change them out for fresh rubber. Look at bushings in the lower & upper control arms, sway bar end links, sway bar, and track bar. Grab those parts and push them around, checking for any movement. After that, check rear bearings for any play and diff fluid level. Others with more experience can give a lot more if you can't find the problem through visual inspections.

Reactions: Blondie70
If you bounce the jeep up and down does it make the noise or is it only when its moving?

@Lou Only when moving (Just spent about 5 minutes standing on the rear bumper and bouncing)

@fizzlebottom just replaced the rear swaybar endlinks and bushings this winter but will include them when I check the rest of your suggestions thank you

Kind of sounds like spider gears inside of the differential going out.

Check your breaks. If you let it sit a bit then some surface rust can occur and latch on to the break pad until it scours clean. And can also be the source of groaning. E-brake could also be hanging up or set wrong.

Check your breaks. If you let it sit a bit then some surface rust can occur and latch on to the break pad until it scours clean. And can also be the source of groaning. E-brake could also be hanging up or set wrong.

That is where I would start. The easiest low hanging fruit is the best place to start.

Reactions: wigsajumper
That has always been my moto. Rarely is the most extreme or expensive option been necessary. And if it is, I've already learned how to fix something for future use.

Reactions: wigsajumper