rear seat head rests-removal?

just bought a wrangler sport 2017 4 door, and i would like to know if there's any way to remove the rear seat headrests?
they just bind up on the front seat, and they get in the way of my dog bed..
thanks for your thouhgts"
This is a forum for the Jeep TJ 1997-2006. There may be a few of the members who have JK's also that can help but you may want to look at a JK forum.

Reactions: StG58
There's a lot of moving parts involved in the JKU rear seat headrest internal to the rear seat. You have to take the upholstery off and unbolt / cut the mechanism out.

There's a lot of moving parts involved in the JKU rear seat headrest internal to the rear seat. You have to take the upholstery off and unbolt / cut the mechanism out.

Really? They had to go and make the damn rear seat that complicated? Sheesh

Yup. When you fold the rear seats down, the headrests unlock and fold back. It's not like on the 'Bourbon where you push a latch and pull the headrest up and out. They, the MOPAR engineers, obviously have never heard the Einstein quote "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler. "

Yup. When you fold the rear seats down, the headrests unlock and fold back. It's not like on the 'Bourbon where you push a latch and pull the headrest up and out. They, the MOPAR engineers, obviously have never heard the Einstein quote "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler. "

Sounds like the Germans. They're notorious for over-engineering.

Yup, pretty sure that's were it came from. The Germans will use as many parts as required to make a mechanism function perfectly. The Americans will use just enough parts to make it work.

Yup, pretty sure that's were it came from. The Germans will use as many parts as required to make a mechanism function perfectly. The Americans will use just enough parts to make it work.

I've owned enough German cars to know that I'll never own one again. Fantastic machines when they work, no argument there. However, when they break, it's a fucking nightmare.

I prefer simplicity, if only because it makes my life easier.

The earlier JKUs did have the headrest mechanism as described above, and it seems they are still done that way. The JK 2-doors have rear head rests, but they have a latch where you can pull them up and out of the seat back. Simple. The JKU engineers outsmarted themselves with headrests that fold, lock, unlock, and don't come off.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Ours is a 2012 JKU. Didn't know about the JK's being different. Good to know. I wonder if the rear seats swap?
I don't think they would, as the JKU rear seats are in front of the wheel well, and are therefore wider, but also 60/40 split back, I believe.