Rear seat hinge pin broken?

odren

Supporting Member
Hey all. I’ve searched and came up empty and it may be a terminology issue since I’m new to the jeep life.

The rear seat in my (new to me) 2001 was sitting at an off angle and when I tried to square it up I found that the “hinge pin” that goes in the bracket on one side is snapped off where a clip should be. Is this something that can be replaced on the seat frame or am I looking for a whole new seat?

IMG_3377.jpeg

Hey all. I’ve searched and came up empty and it may be a terminology issue since I’m new to the jeep life.

The rear seat in my (new to me) 2001 was sitting at an off angle and when I tried to square it up I found that the “hinge pin” that goes in the bracket on one side is snapped off where a clip should be. Is this something that can be replaced on the seat frame or am I looking for a whole new seat?

View attachment 514640

Edited to clarify that this is on the front of the rear seat. Not the back side. My seat folds down and flips forward and these two steel ends act as a hinge and a stop for the tub mounted bracket.

The cover could be removed, at least in that area and weld on a new pin. The cost of having that done may very well exceed the cost of buying a used replacement seat. If you're handy with a welder, it could be fixed for cheap.

The cover could be removed, at least in that area and weld on a new pin. The cost of having that done may very well exceed the cost of buying a used replacement seat. If you're handy with a welder, it could be fixed for cheap.

Maybe buy a set of the same style for cheap, and swap your foam/cloth over so it still matches...

Reactions: flyinfish
I'd make a few cuts in the material around the broken pin, hold it back with something to give a welder some clearance, and just have a welder weld a replacement on. It wouldn't be a hard weld so even a friend with a welder could do it. Shouldn't cost much, any welding shop could do it in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for the replies, that is what I was afraid of hearing. I don't think I want to rely on a welded pin to keep the seat in place if I ever get hit. Looks like I have a two seater until I replace the seat.

Any recommendations on aftermarket replacement seats? All of them are pretty shot honestly so I'm not above getting something more comfortable front and rear.

Bestop use to make seats for the rear of the TJ

But even welding it back, I'd trust a competent welder to do it... Afterall, the Jeep is welded together...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks for the replies, that is what I was afraid of hearing. I don't think I want to rely on a welded pin to keep the seat in place if I ever get hit. Looks like I have a two seater until I replace the seat.

Any recommendations on aftermarket replacement seats? All of them are pretty shot honestly so I'm not above getting something more comfortable front and rear.

There a lot of options for seats if you want to spend the coin, and that's not a bad choice.

But, I don't see any reason for concern on welding a post there. The pin obviously broke, a weld wouldn't be any weaker to me, than the pin that already showed it could break, ha.

If the hardware looks good but the upholstery is trashed on a used seat, using it as a donor for the frame would still be an option.

Your concern about a weld is a none issue, not sure why you would be concerned as most of your jeep is welded together.

But if it makes you sleep easier at night a factory replacement should be easy to find as many remove the backseat and the hardware.

I’m more curious why it broke in the first place

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks again. I am just ignorant to welding but after talking to a couple guys who do it for a living and hearing yall's input I feel like I can put that to rest and go on ahead and have them weld a new stud end on it. Appreciate you all and this forum.