Rear seat retainer strap is so worthless that it is rare

Jaxon B.

TJ Enthusiast
This curiosity has had my attention for the last hour and had my scouring the web for something, anything.

When you fold up the rear seat on the earlier TJs, there is no spring-like mechanism like there is used in the later models that keeps the seat up, so Jeep used a strap that looped around a part of the seat and attached to the rollbar, pictured as part 11 in this '98 engineering diagram for the rear seat assembly:
1620060895668.png

I wanted to see how much it cost out of curiosity; I guess I found the idea of an OEM piece of nylon funny, but the thing is, you cannot find it anywhere.

I mean it has to exist right? I saw it in the informational videos that have been preserved on YouTube of it being used, and I saw like 3 pictures of the OEM one, but a place where someone or something sells it alludes me. I searched the part number (5519 6450 as listed in the parts list) and found that it used to be sold, but has since been discontinued.

This rarity makes me almost want to buy the first one I can find, even though a simple bungee cord or ratchet strap easily serves the same purpose.

Personally just a small tangent and a great example of something so seemingly worthless that it is almost...priceless.

Does anybody have one of these by chance?

1620061207243.png

• Haha
Reactions: SSTJ
After looking, apparently, they came from the factory in either in the door sides or in a bag in the center console, but I can't find a definitive, verifiable answer about it. It is just one of those things that is so easy to lose I guess. Makes me want one more!

I have a 18" velcro strap that I hook around the rollbar and part of the rear seat that sticks up when folded. Having something built into the seat would be cool so I don't have to hunt for the strap every time I fold the seat up.

Yes. My TJ (2001) came with one and I still use it. Don’t have much choice TBH, it’s the only way. It’s not a great solution...

• Sad
Reactions: Jaxon B.
Learn something new every day. I don’t have one for my 2001, but it would be nice to have one

It's the same strap that used to keep the windshield down to the hood or strap the bars that go from the windshield frame to the rollbar in the rear compartment to the footmen's loops.

No, it’s not the same at all - it doesn’t have any cinch fixings. It’s just a piece of webbing with a loop on each end. It wraps around the rollbar (pull the end through the loop) and the loop at the other end attaches to the seat latch.

See around 24:11 here

No, it’s not the same at all - it doesn’t have any cinch fixings. It’s just a piece of webbing with a loop on each end. It wraps around the rollbar (pull the end through the loop) and the loop at the other end attaches to the seat latch.

See around 24:11 here
Interesting. When I got my Jeep, they had the rear seat held up with that cinch strap. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks.

I guess yours still does the same as mine - the seat is too tight behind the front seats with the driver's seat all the way back *and* the seat keeps moving forwards and hitting me in the back...

much easier to take it out!

After looking, apparently, they came from the factory in either in the door sides or in a bag in the center console, but I can't find a definitive, verifiable answer about it. It is just one of those things that is so easy to lose I guess. Makes me want one more!
I still have mine, in the factory bags. I just pull the seat out if I need more space or fold the backrest. I can't think of a single instance where folding/tumbling and tying the seat forward would be useful.

I am betting that most folks tossed these in the trash when new.

I still have mine, in the factory bags. I just pull the seat out if I need more space or fold the backrest. I can't think of a single instance where folding/tumbling and tying the seat forward would be useful.

I am betting that most folks tossed these in the trash when new.
I fold my seat up often, easiest way for me and I don't have to go through the trouble of putting the seat back in.

If you don't use the straps... i'll pay shipping LOL

I've been spending way too much time looking for these to pop up on ebay or something instead of doing my schoolwork...

Still have the one that came with my 06.

You can make with with strap from the camping section and some buckles if you don't want to sew it. Use the buckles to make the loops.

Still have the one that came with my 06.

You can make with with strap from the camping section and some buckles if you don't want to sew it. Use the buckles to make the loops.
I know it is easily replaceable, but I just think that it would be cool to have the OEM one.
Just to reiterate, I am not looking for this out of necessity, but curiousity.

Reactions: Fishtaco