Rear spring mounts repairs

dazed_uk

Afternoon all, long story short.. Rust.
i need to repair both upper coil mounts on the rear springs. I see a lot about the Safe T Caps but getting them in the UK is difficult or expensive. I have found similar from Barnes, doesnt look as solid as the Safe T Cap and is a bit self assembly.
Ive had a search and cant find any comments about them, does anyone have any experience with them? Or do i just dig deeper in the wallet and buy Safe T?
Thanks

I thought the safety caps were to replace the rotted out control arm mounts. There are special pieces to replace the oil mounts, but someone with better internet type abilities will need to help. They are also some so you can put the coil uppers in a different position for an axle stretch. Googling that may help.

Just did the Left Rear on ours... we used Pocono Metal Craft.... (used their Rear trail arm sections too). Great quality & fit. Not sure how there shipping will be to over the pond but here is the like to the set:

https://poconometalcraft.com/collec...pring-bucket-mount-for-jeep-wrangler-tj-97-06

I went with them because the guy helping out with the repair has been doing Jeeps for years & prefers them to Safe-T-Cap... Not saying there bad... just thought I pass on the info...

Just did the Left Rear on ours... we used Pocono Metal Craft.... (used their Rear trail arm sections too). Great quality & fit. Not sure how there shipping will be to over the pond but here is the like to the set:

https://poconometalcraft.com/collec...pring-bucket-mount-for-jeep-wrangler-tj-97-06

I went with them because the guy helping out with the repair has been doing Jeeps for years & prefers them to Safe-T-Cap... Not saying there bad... just thought I pass on the info...
Not a bad looking product. I'm a bit sad that they welded a piece of tube in the middle for a bump stop cup instead of doing the formed dimple like factory. They did make a serious point of copying the OEM punch and die set, well except for that part.

Yes I agree on the middle tube & so does the guy helping me with the frame repair. Other than that everything else looks really good.... Great welds good gauge steel & everything lines up nice (same for their rear trail arm repairs).

Safe-T-Cap does the same thing...

We are going to cut the tube down & weld a solid piece of plate steel over the tube then drill it to accept the factory bump stop & cup...

Knowing how much we love pictures I thought I'd report back and add some...

It was tricky getting the parts shipped to the UK, one shop really let me down but thats a story for another day.
Anyway Pocono came through and I am really pleased with the quality, my welding guy also commented on the quality and ease of fitting. He did add a weld on the outer edge between the disc and frame rail part.

The welded tube on them is strange, its not wide enough to take the bump stop, it is the right length to use instead of the extension pieces (with the longer bolts) i had from the spacer kit fitted. So it worked for me but will make your bump stops too long if you have standard height.

Anyway it passed its annual inspection so I can drive it again!

On to the next job... and I'm looking into welding courses, I think it might be useful

20190728_094239.jpg

20190728_094244.jpg

20190731_195331.jpg

20190731_195407.jpg

20190803_125952.jpg

20190803_130034.jpg

Nice Job dazed_UK... looks good... I'm glad Pocono Metal's came through for you... & your driving it again..

Yes a welding course would be awesome... I learned from an old friend of the family that was certified & originally welded structural framing for buildings & later in life worked for a trailer building company... I'm barely a novice; I can weld & they are strong (even on my equipment which sees abuse), but compared to his welds... let just say he is Picasso & I'm more like drawing with dull crayons.. but they hold...

Again glad it worked out for you...