Rear spring spacers look weird

Tristan Nickey

The the butt of my TJ sags slightly and I just put a new Metalcloak 3.5"short arm long travel suspension on it. I also nabbed a pair or Teraflex 1.25" rear coil spacers. They looked a little small and once installed it looks like the spring is balancing on the spacer. I called Teraflex and Daystar and they both said, "yup, thats how they look."

Looking at the JK spacers, the spacers are the same size as the buckets. Why are these not the same size as the Tj buckets. Anyone have any experience, advice or explanation as to why they are like this.

Rough Country makes a 10 degree angle bucket I am considering replacing the spacers with because it fits the bucket and straightens out the spring.

IMG_0624.JPG

Purely cosmetics. They function just fine like that, but they do look odd, I agree.

So even at full flex the spring wont slide? That is more what Im worried about. At least with the bucket there is a lip.

I don't think the spring will slide at full flex as long as you have your bump stops adjusted accordingly and everything.

The the butt of my TJ sags slightly and I just put a new Metalcloak 3.5"short arm long travel suspension on it. I also nabbed a pair or Teraflex 1.25" rear coil spacers. They looked a little small and once installed it looks like the spring is balancing on the spacer. I called Teraflex and Daystar and they both said, "yup, thats how they look."

Looking at the JK spacers, the spacers are the same size as the buckets. Why are these not the same size as the Tj buckets. Anyone have any experience, advice or explanation as to why they are like this.

Rough Country makes a 10 degree angle bucket I am considering replacing the spacers with because it fits the bucket and straightens out the spring.

View attachment 43976

I wonder how the RC 10 Degree spacer would work with MetalCloaks bottom mounted bump stops if you have those installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its cheaper to cut your upper perch to move it in the center of the frame arch, then weld it back into place.

20160702_152307.jpg
20160702_170640.jpg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Just moving the upper spring seats won't do much to change the ride. If anything it will stiffen the coil a tiny bit. The real purpose in doing so is to get the bump stops to line up again after a sizable spring lift combined with a tummy tuck.

Most people move the springs when they outboard the rear shocks. That can create a dramatic improvement in many areas, mostly because it involves upgrading to a nicer shock in a better location and a significant increase in travel.

Here are mine with a spacer at full droop. Nothing is going anywhere because there is nowhere to go.

664d3bd44c1f56a78522bd852b9d981f.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how the RC 10 Degree spacer would work with MetalCloaks bottom mounted bump stops if you have those installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So I was looking at those! Thinking about taking the spacers out and doing the angle spacers. Its still on the table but Im riding these current ones around a little more to see how they do.

Just moving the upper spring seats won't do much to change the ride. If anything it will stiffen the coil a tiny bit. The real purpose in doing so is to get the bump stops to line up again after a sizable spring lift combined with a tummy tuck.

Most people move the springs when they outboard the rear shocks. That can create a dramatic improvement in many areas, mostly because it involves upgrading to a nicer shock in a better location and a significant increase in travel.

Here are mine with a spacer at full droop. Nothing is going anywhere because there is nowhere to go.

View attachment 44103
Awesome! Thanks for the info and photo. It really helps.

Reactions: Chris