Rear storage idea

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Today was my first big shopping trip with the TJ. I found that I didn't have as much room as in the Liberty. LOL I have read on how people remove the rear seat and I was telling hubby I was thinking of doing that. Then I got a brilliant idea! Build a box that will slide in and out, like a kitchen drawer. I thought it would make it easier to put in and remove things. If the rear soft top window was easier to open and close I wouldn't have worried about it, but it is hard to put things in and out when the window is in place.

What do you guy's think? Has this been done before?

I don't have a back seat. This is what I did:
017.JPG

014.JPG

That would work ok when the top is off, but with top on and rear window in place, it is hard to access the full back area without pretty much bending over and climbing half way in. That is the idea of the sliding box so I can just pull it out so far, load it, and push it back in. :D

Edit to add, that is a good idea to put a top on it, that would make it more secure with the top off. :D

That would work ok when the top is off, but with top on and rear window in place, it is hard to access the full back area without pretty much bending over and climbing half way in. That is the idea of the sliding box so I can just pull it out so far, load it, and push it back in. :D

I just pull the milk crates out about half way and load them from there. For large stuff, I unzip the back window about half way, pull the window bar, (you can flip it up far enough to stay on the top and out of the way), and load on top of the platform.

I just pull the milk crates out about half way and load them from there. For large stuff, I unzip the back window about half way, pull the window bar, (you can flip it up far enough to stay on the top and out of the way), and load on top of the platform.

I just got the top and being new to the whole zipper window thing I have been kind of afraid to unzip it and undo the bar. LOL So I have been loading things through the bottom. LOL I guess I need to get over the fear of messing something up. :D

I have this is the back of my TJ. It is made by Smittybilt. I added the lip around the top edge so things wouldn't slide off and also the bumper that keeps the drawer from rattling when the tailgate is closed. It has been quite convenient but it is a bear to take out when I want to put the rear seat in for a passenger.

IMG_1177.jpg

Kim , don't feel bad , I didn't even know the bar detached!

The back access is one of the trickiest things on these...with soft tops especially .

If you ever , ever do a hard top ,that makes it better.

On the other side of the equation , you and your husband, in that jeep , in the California summer , are going to have a blast .

Years from now , you will say , remember that white TJ we had?

Trust me on that one.

I have this is the back of my TJ. It is made by Smittybilt. I added the lip around the top edge so things wouldn't slide off and also the bumper that keeps the drawer from rattling when the tailgate is closed. It has been quite convenient but it is a bear to take out when I want to put the rear seat in for a passenger.

That looks a little bigger then the other one that was linked, wish one could get one like that for around 100 bucks instead of 600. :D

I was going to go to the Container Store and see if I could find something that would fit the bill, but I have a feeling I will have to try to make what I want. Or, my hubby knows a guy that does wood working and I may see what he would charge to build me the box I want.

My idea is to have a drawer and also have the top of the box have 2 piano hinges so you could close it all the way and lock it to the drawer, then when needed you could fold the first half back, or fold the hole thing up to the rear of the seats. Building the box would be pretty easy, its just the drawer part and hinge part that may take me some time. LOL

The main reason I want a drawer that slides out, is the soft top isn't as easy to put up, as the hard top hatch. :D Would be nice to just open the tailgate, slide out the drawer, load it, shut both and go on my way. :D

Reactions: derekmac
You will see similar pullouts online for work truck beds..one could be made for a TJ . Heavy duty refrigerator /freezer pull out door guides are what is used basically. Like a kitchen pullout on steroids.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
That looks a little bigger then the other one that was linked, wish one could get one like that for around 100 bucks instead of 600. :D

I was going to go to the Container Store and see if I could find something that would fit the bill, but I have a feeling I will have to try to make what I want. Or, my hubby knows a guy that does wood working and I may see what he would charge to build me the box I want.

My idea is to have a drawer and also have the top of the box have 2 piano hinges so you could close it all the way and lock it to the drawer, then when needed you could fold the first half back, or fold the hole thing up to the rear of the seats. Building the box would be pretty easy, its just the drawer part and hinge part that may take me some time. LOL

For what it is worth, the one I have is currently priced at around $380. Still pricey but a bit less than $600.

Reactions: KimsJeep
I've been doing this for 20 years. A rear shelf for the dog plus storage.

Your dog is probably like mine. This past holiday season, my father in-law commented on the good behavior of my dog, and said "your dog is a little spoiled". I said "no, he's a lot spoiled"

There's nothing like jeeping with a dog.

Reactions: JMT