Rear tire carrier suggestions?

I just got my barricade classic rear bumper and tire carrier and there’s no shaking at all even in the current hurricane winds also I love the look and it was 350 for the whole thing with free shipping on extreme terrain it was a bit of a pain to install cause some of the brackets were bent in shipping but there’s no drilling or anything needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't waste your money on that thing. It's overpriced when compared to the Exogate / MORryde tire carrier. In addition, that one doesn't tie into the rear roll bar, so it's not as strong.

The smart thing to do would be to get the Exogate / MORryde. I have one and absolutely love it. The design behind it is better than anything on the market IMHO.

I always encourage people to stay away from rear bumpers with built in tire carriers. The good majority of them are very poorly built, and the swing away tire carrier starts to sag soon after purchase, and then become very stiff and difficult to swing open. This is due to the fact that most of them (especially the cheap Chinese ones such as Barricade, Smittybilt, EAG, etc.) use crap quality bearings (if they're even using bearings at all).

Reactions: skrelnik
If you have a larger than stock tire, yes. The previous owner of my jeep had already cut the wires and removed the internal connections (brake light didn't light up) so I just removed it.

I have a 33” spare and notice the tailgate is not shutting correctly. The mount on the stock carrier seems fine. Will the exogate hinges solve this?

Don't waste your money on that thing. It's overpriced when compared to the Exogate / MORryde tire carrier. In addition, that one doesn't tie into the rear roll bar, so it's not as strong.

The smart thing to do would be to get the Exogate / MORryde. I have one and absolutely love it. The design behind it is better than anything on the market IMHO.

I always encourage people to stay away from rear bumpers with built in tire carriers. The good majority of them are very poorly built, and the swing away tire carrier starts to sag soon after purchase, and then become very stiff and difficult to swing open. This is due to the fact that most of them (especially the cheap Chinese ones such as Barricade, Smittybilt, EAG, etc.) use crap quality bearings (if they're even using bearings at all).

I am really liking the Exogate suggestion. How difficult was it to install? I have a 2001 and those body screws are likely to be a challenge just judging by the 2 windshield screws I removed for a quick-detach mirror. Did you heat it with a torch? I also thought about picking up a hand impact tool and giving it a try. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 33” spare and notice the tailgate is not shutting correctly. The mount on the stock carrier seems fine. Will the exogate hinges solve this?
Yes. Eventually the stock carrier will likely fail under the weight of a 33" or bigger spare tire, mine cracked on top after about 6 weeks. The tailgate and its hinges are not up to a 33" or 35" tire for long.

But you can do this and eliminate the need to reinforce the hinges with the Exogate or install an aftermarket carrier. These take the spare tire's weight off the tailgate and its hinges.

spare_tire-holder-2.jpg
Spare-tire-holder-1.jpg

Reactions: M35A2 and JMT
If your hinges are tweaked from the weight of the tire, I could see the Exogate remedying that. Mine has been on for 4 years and still is rock solid. Its been carrying a 285/75r16 all that time with no issues, and its rated up to 35 inch tires.

Reactions: JMT
I am really liking the Exogate suggestion. How difficult was it to install? I have a 2001 and those body screws are likely to be a challenge just judging by the 2 windshield screws I removed for a quick-detach mirror. Did you heat it with a torch? I also thought about picking up a hand impact tool and giving it a try. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Easy install, but if I recall correctly the instructions were close to non-existent 4 years ago. I think I had to go by pictures online at the time to get mine installed, but still not bad overall. Lots of us on here running them now, so any issues during the install, you have a big user base to lean on.

It's incredibly easy to install, nothing hard about it at all. No need to use an impact, torch, or anything. It's literally a straight forward and simple install!

Yes. Eventually the stock carrier will likely fail under the weight of a 33" or bigger spare tire, mine cracked on top after about 6 weeks. The tailgate and its hinges are not up to a 33" or 35" tire for long.

But you can do this and eliminate the need to reinforce the hinges with the Exogate or install an aftermarket carrier. These take the spare tire's weight off the tailgate and its hinges.

View attachment 55710 View attachment 55711
Ok, do you have any idea what something like this is called? I have a 2" hitch receiver built into my bumper. I'd like to do this solution till I can save the funds for an Exogate/Moryde.

Thanks, I kind of thought so! I'll think this one through. And I think I'll remove the spare before I damage anything.