Rear track adjustment

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have a rough country rear track bar and I cant get my axle aligned. When I turn the adjuster one side gets small and the othe gets longer. I feel like I just burned one trying to figure this out. At this point the red arrow side is all the way in and cant be turned anymore. Before that I had it about 2" toward the blue side. Both locations my axle is an 1" off. What stupid thing am I not realizing??
20210111_172126.jpg

Shouldn't both ends shorten and lengthen in the same direction?
20210111_181450.jpg

Last edited:
That does seem odd.
If it's doing exactly what you're saying, then it's made wrong.
Guess you'll have to disconnect it to adjust. Or send it back.

Called rough country and the guy on the other end said maybee I am doing it wrong. Wow I wonder how many different ways there are to turn the adjuster😳

The RC adjustor should work exactly the same way as the factory drag link adjuster. Given the way manufacturing works, it would be pretty unusual for them to make a batch wrong since that would require messing up two components in order to assemble the finished track bar.

Or this is how it has always been and Rough Country doesn't understand left and right hand threads with an adjustment sleeve.

First thread BOTH sides ALL THE WAY IN. Both sides.
Snug both clamps. Dosen't need to be tight, just snug.
NOW you bolt in the axle side bushing. Again, snug. Not tight.
See what direction the frame side mount needs to go. Shorter? Longer?
Now loosen both clamps. Your red and blue. Do NOT rotate the frame side end!
While holding the frame side end, rotate the adjustment collar that is BETWEEN your red clamp and blue clamp.
Turning that collar will lengthen the track bar. It should only turn one direction because you started with both ends fully threaded in.
Adjust the length so the frame side can be installed. Not tightly, again, just snug it up.
Now you should be able to rotate the adjustment collar to center your axle in the frame.
Once you have it adjusted correctly then you can tighten up your red and blue clamps followed by your axle side and frame side bushing bolts.
All done. Easy-peasy👍

Reactions: RMETeeJay
First thread BOTH sides ALL THE WAY IN. Both sides.
Snug both clamps. Dosen't need to be tight, just snug.
NOW you bolt in the axle side bushing. Again, snug. Not tight.
See what direction the frame side mount needs to go. Shorter? Longer?
Now loosen both clamps. Your red and blue. Do NOT rotate the frame side end!
While holding the frame side end, rotate the adjustment collar that is BETWEEN your red clamp and blue clamp.
Turning that collar will lengthen the track bar. It should only turn one direction because you started with both ends fully threaded in.
Adjust the length so the frame side can be installed. Not tightly, again, just snug it up.
Now you should be able to rotate the adjustment collar to center your axle in the frame.
Once you have it adjusted correctly then you can tighten up your red and blue clamps followed by your axle side and frame side bushing bolts.
All done. Easy-peasy👍
Thanks.

I just wanted to say I am an idiot. I did as Goatman suggested. In the the install I had one end threaded nearly all the way down not leaving much room for adjustment plus making it seam the wrong threads were used. I know RC gets alot of flack and alot of it warranted (bushings, shocks ect.. ) so I didnt want to add to it from my mistake. The track works fine and adjusted properly.

Reactions: Blondie70 and jjvw