Rear track bar alignment

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
I’ve tried adjusting my JKS rear track bar a couple times now because it’s making contact with both my Barnes 8.8 truss and the fuel tank skid. When I initially installed it I even notched the fuel tank skid to help. Only it didn’t really help. What’s causing this issue and how do I correct it?

ED09E416-EC75-4B35-AB94-12E51F33886B.jpeg

3DE9A074-D025-4ACD-8773-0FBCF83DA4EA.jpeg

681B01D9-4EC4-47E3-B162-A07CA35CBD87.jpeg

63807103-2BF7-43CF-A6EA-F0E7F827465D.jpeg

Another problem might be that your track bar has solid bushings on the frame side which may cause it to resist “rolling” with the axle movements. Track bars with Johnny joints on both sides roll forward as the axle moves up and usually clear the gas tank crossmember.
For the truss you might need to trim and rework it where the track bar is hitting.

Does your diff hit the tank skid?
Looking at it and it might touch just barely at the top of the skid if my entire axle was fully stuffed.

Cause- Pinion angle maybe-
I just checked my angle again last night. It’s inline with the driveshaft with maybe a degree or two. I took tons of measurements and mock ups prior to welding the truss. So the truss top sits at roughly 0° while the pinion is at about 20°.

When doing the axle swap I centered the axle under the peak of the frame arch.

Reactions: AndyG
I understand the Rockjock bar is bent a little bit differently and avoids tank skid interference better than the JKS. But moving the axle forward should help, and if it's still making contact I've seen people cut a piece out of the tank skid, and you should be fine to give up some of that plate on your truss.

Looking at it and it might touch just barely at the top of the skid if my entire axle was fully stuffed.

I just checked my angle again last night. It’s inline with the driveshaft with maybe a degree or two. I took tons of measurements and mock ups prior to welding the truss. So the truss top sits at roughly 0° while the pinion is at about 20°.

When doing the axle swap I centered the axle under the peak of the frame arch.
Then your axle is likely too far back. You need to remove your springs and properly cycle your suspension.

I’ve moved the axle forward about an inch and a half. I also cut out a 1”x2” chunk of the truss in hopes that helps too. Next I’ll cycle the suspension to verify things are where they’re supposed to be.