Rear track bar not lining up

Easton j

I just replace rear coil spring that had spacers with 4.5 inch coil springs. I took the Track bar loose to drop my axle and now I can't get it to line back up am I gonna have to get an adjustable track bar. I have no earthy idea how the previous owner got it to go.

20210417_144159.jpg

Last edited:
The axle will pull to one side when lifted without an adjustable track bar. He probably fit the spacers in without taking the trackbar out causing it to pull. You probably wont be able to get that back in. An adjustable trackbar would be better anyway since you can center the jeep over the axles.

I just replace rear coil spring that had spacers with that right length coil spring. I took the Track bar loose to drop my axle and now I can't get it to line back up am I gonna have to get an adjustable track bar. I have no earthy idea how the previous owner got it to go.

View attachment 244594
I installed a 2.5” lift recently.
I had the same problem. I used a ratched strap to center the axle so I was able to install the bolt.

how much is your lift?

The axle will pull to one side when lifted without an adjustable track bar. He probably fit the spacers in without taking the trackbar out causing it to pull. You probably wont be able to get that back in. An adjustable trackbar would be better anyway since you can center the jeep over the axles.
Probably so thanks.

Reactions: D M
what?...no, if he has factory length springs and no spacers, it should all line up again...it's just a matter of shifting the axle back over where it belongs

I had the same problem. I used a ratched strap to center the axle so I was able to install the bolt.

how much is your lift?
I've tried that. They had about 4 inches of spacers I replaced with 4.5 inch coils

what?...no, if he has factory length springs and no spacers, it should all line up again...it's just a matter of shifting the axle back over where it belongs
if you can pull the jeep back over then go right ahead...

determine if the axle is center, and it's the bar that won't reach..........you need an adjustable.

if the axle is 3/4" out further out the driver side...........ratchet strap it and pull it over.

if the axle is 3/4" out further out the driver side...........ratchet strap it and pull it over.
A ratchet strap is not usually required. When the track bar is unbolted, the axle will usually-mostly self-center itself via the suspension springs and control arms with nothing more than "jouncing" the Jeep over the axle which is nothing more than standing on the rear bumper and jumping up & down to help the axle self-center itself with the Jeep sitting on the ground. The Jeep should have the usual weight in it so it is sitting at the normal height you drive it at. Once it has self-centered well enough you just adjust the length of the track bar so its bolt hole matches the hole in the mounting bracket.

A ratchet strap is not usually required. When the track bar is unbolted, the axle will usually-mostly self-center itself via the suspension springs and control arms with nothing more than "jouncing" the Jeep over the axle which is nothing more than standing on the rear bumper and jumping up & down to help the axle self-center itself with the Jeep sitting on the ground. The Jeep should have the usual weight in it so it is sitting at the normal height you drive it at. Once it has self-centered well enough you just adjust the length of the track bar so its bolt hole matches the hole in the mounting bracket.

I tried this for an hour and got nowhere. I literally jumped on the rear bumper for 10 minute internals like it was some twisted new crossfit craze. I finally gave up opted for the RC with the adjustment similar to my control arms and it moved in two seconds. Weird.

I tried this for an hour and got nowhere. I literally jumped on the rear bumper for 10 minute internals like it was some twisted new crossfit craze. I finally gave up opted for the RC with the adjustment similar to my control arms and it moved in two seconds. Weird.
Maybe you just aren't eating enough donuts or drinking enough beer. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Don Bulee
If you have 4.5” of spring I really don’t think the stock track bar would go back to its place, no matter how much you CrossFit.

I was thinking you had an adjustable length track bar, sorry for the bad advice Midtenn that you'd be able to connect your factory track bar via jouncing the suspension.

I was thinking you had an adjustable length track bar, sorry for the bad advice Midtenn that you'd be able to connect your factory track bar via jouncing the suspension.

I do now...at the time I thought I could get there by with a stock track bar. The adjustable got me there. But more to the point, bouncing on the wheels didn't center the axle. The adjustable track back was able to center the axle. Which has had me curious....how does one screw up jumping?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

how much is your lift?

how much is your lift?
Hello if I may ask how you did this or what points you set up the ratchet strap too?

Hello if I may ask how you did this or what points you set up the ratchet strap too?
I've wrapped it from the frame on the passenger side over to the track bar/upper control arm bracket on the driver side, to pull them together.

The upper control arms have some triangulation which makes it hard to shift the axle laterally. If you have single adjustable arms, disconnect one of them, connect the track bar, then adjust the length of the disconnected one so that the bolt slides in. With double adjustable arms you can shorten the passenger and length the driver by the same amount at the same time and watch the frame move over the axle until the track bar lines up.