Rear view mirror fell off. How do I fix it?

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Went out to drive the tj and the mirror was lying on the console. What type of adhesive or glue do I use to put it back on?

Don't put too much adhesive on it. It doesn't cure well and it's likely to cause it to fall off again.

AutoZone, Walmart, etc all have the kit to re attach it. Alcohol and super glue is all.

I tried 2 different “kits” and neither held more than a day. I ended up buying a small tube of super glue and it is still holding strong. The key to this is making sure both surfaces are completely clean. It’s a bit difficult to get the old adhesive scraped off the button but it’s necessary for success. Use a sharp razor blade. After cleaning both surfaces, wipe with alcohol and allow to dry. Then use one small drop of glue. More is not better here. Hold for 1 minute and allow to set overnight before attaching mirror. Also, make sure the super glue you buy is for joining metal and glass. All of them are not. Good luck!

I did plenty of these when I used to do glass. The special stuff isn't really super glue but I bet super glue would do the job as long as everything is clean as possible. And BamaJeep is right about the razor and alcohol and that more is not better.

Many years ago and way before I installed any glass, I put a mirror on with blue silicone. I'm not even sure how clean I made anything but it was still on there the last time I saw that car three years later. I'm not suggesting you try that.

I kept buying the permatex rear view mirror kits, also tried super glue never had it stay on more than a year. I cleaned it as good as I could and still never had luck. I got pissed and ended up making a little bracket and bolting it down. My mirror hasn't fell off since

IMG_4722.JPG

As others have stated, the key is to get the old glue off the windshield and the button. Mark around the glue spot on the outside of the glass so you know where to put the button back. Clean and scrape the glue from both glass and button. Use the cleaner in the kit and let it dry. Get a piece of masking tape to hold the button in place after you put the 1 drop of glue on it. Let it sit overnight, attach mirror. Do it that way, no issues. Violate any of the tiny little details and it will likely fail. I've used most of the kits, they all seem to work.

Thanks for all the replies. Going to work on it tomorrow. Was 106F yesterday in Austin. Did that have anything to do with it?

There are a whole bunch of UV glues on the market now. One of them should do the trick. Probably need a helper. 1 to hold the metal with the glue in place and 1 to shine the UV light on it thru the glass. What ever you use let the glue cure overnight or longer if possible like others have said before reinstalling the mirror.

I have gone through 3 or 4 kits in a row with all of them failing. They are not a fast seller so they could sit on the shelf for years before you buy it. I don't know if the glue goes bad after a time or if they make bad batches at the factory but if the one you buy fails don't go back and buy the next one. Go to a different store to buy it.

Reactions: Cornbread
Not trying to hijack your thread. But is there anyway to take one off? I'd like to reposition it higher on the windshield.

They have solvent for superglue, debonder, that might work. Be very careful, I've cracked a windshield or two at the junkyard removing them from cars. Most of the time a razor blade works.

I've put a soldering iron tip against the button to loosen the glue, but have had mixed results.

Got it fixed this morning. I debated taking it to an auto glass place, but in the end I did it myself. It was a small thing, but gave me a lot of satisfaction doing it on my own. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Daryl and derekmac