• Remove

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Bacon

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

erokj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Should I keep these or remove them? When I removed them, I found a bunch of surface rust and debris on the inside of the body.
I also have an ‘06 which I believe has emissions equipment on the passenger side wheel well.. has anyone had any issues without the liners protecting this equipment?

thanks everyone!

Well since you have them out. I would clean the wells up and paint them. I have mine out account the rear is hi- lined. I have painted the wheel wells black though. And I haven't have any issues with the emissions stuff.

I took mine off, cleaned out all the mud and took care of the rust. Then I Fluid Filmed everything that was hidden and put them back in place. I plan on checking at least behind both wheel well liners for mud every fall and for salt every spring. I'll also add another dose of FF each time...I may have an addiction with that.

The first time I checked my evaporator/emissions parts were hidden in a giant mud-cube that would have made it really hard to diagnose had there been a CEL light regarding that. I wonder how much worse the mud-cube would have been if the left rear liner wasn't there.

Jeepers out in the dusty west probably have different thoughts about the need for liners.

I have taken mine out and was pleasantly surprised to find everything very clean and rust free. I put them back in and will probably never take them out except for cleaning. I do believe someone cut there's so the emissions equipment in the right rear is covered but everything else is exposed.

IMG_5465.jpeg
IMG_5471.jpeg
IMG_5472.jpeg

Last edited:
They help add some rounded edges to an otherwise brick shaped vehicle. For that reason alone, I like them.

Reactions: fourpointzero
My 06 came without them, no issues with evap can.
However, I purchased a set from ebay and put them on. My only concern is bunch of crap flying and staying inside the channel shown in pic.
From what i see, it comes down to personal preference. From one perspective, it keeps dirt from getting behind there, so less cleaning as a result. From another perspective dirt will still get there, and you will have to remove them from time to time to give it a wash.
We all live in different parts of the continent, and do different things with our Jeeps. There is simply no single way that works for everyone.

For someone like you who lives in upper East coast, rust preventative like fluid film and regular car wash is the only best solution to keep rust away... imo
20201221_144621-1.jpg

I pulled mine and am glad I did. Was a bit worried about the emissions stuff, so I cut the passenger side in half and just reattached the back half. Looks dumb, probably unnecessary, don't care cause it works

Last edited:
I think I’m going to keep them in.. but make it another checklist item to clean every couple months or so.

I wonder if I can replace the plastic rivets with something similar that is easier to pop on and off? Something like a push button rivet??? Hmmmmm

My 06 came without them, no issues with evap can.
However, I purchased a set from ebay and put them on. My only concern is bunch of crap flying and staying inside the channel shown in pic.
From what i see, it comes down to personal preference. From one perspective, it keeps dirt from getting behind there, so less cleaning as a result. From another perspective dirt will still get there, and you will have to remove them from time to time to give it a wash.
We all live in different parts of the continent, and do different things with our Jeeps. There is simply no single way that works for everyone.

For someone like you who lives in upper East coast, rust preventative like fluid film and regular car wash is the only best solution to keep rust away... imoView attachment 267042

That's what I do, blast with clean cold water, let them dry and pack w/ FF each season change.

I need to get some, my TJ already had them removed when I got it. I have a problem with when driving down travels roads every once in a while the tire will grab a rock and throw it at the inside of the wheel well. Sounds like a gunshot.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Should I keep these or remove them? When I removed them, I found a bunch of surface rust and debris on the inside of the body.
I also have an ‘06 which I believe has emissions equipment on the passenger side wheel well.. has anyone had any issues without the liners protecting this equipment?

thanks everyone!
I'd keep them unless you have a reason to remove them. Treat and top coat the rust and reinstall.

in my case:
liners = remove
bacon = keep

My liners are only gone due to coil over conversion. I've had no issues with the exposed emissions equipment so far.

Reactions: DrDmoney