Rebuild my Denso alternator?

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
So my check gauges light came on and the voltage gauge dropped to zero on my 97 today. AC 4.0 Jeep...build sheet has 117a alternator.

Parts stores had 90a for $150.

Junkyard had a 117a pull off a 95 Cherokee.

Out came a Denso 56005685. Terminals were pretty corroded. Bearings are not terrible but going.

Here's a rebuild kit and there are videos explaining the process. $21. Think I might give it a shot and have what might be the original alternator ready to put back in. Thoughts? Please don't say Premier Power Welder or Mechman. I've already lit my CC on fire. I don't need any further temptation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921182324...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
-Mac

Reactions: Squatch and BlueC
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Do it. Use good O.E. quality parts, and you will have a better unit than anything you can buy at the parts store.

Reactions: Squatch
So my check gauges light came on and the voltage gauge dropped to zero on my 97 today. AC 4.0 Jeep...build sheet has 117a alternator.

Parts stores had 90a for $150.

Junkyard had a 117a pull off a 95 Cherokee.

Out came a Denso 56005685. Terminals were pretty corroded. Bearings are not terrible but going.

Here's a rebuild kit and there are videos explaining the process. $21. Think I might give it a shot and have what might be the original alternator ready to put back in. Thoughts? Please don't say Premier Power Welder or Mechman. I've already lit my CC on fire. I don't need any further temptation.

[URL]https://www.ebay.com/itm/19211...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1[/URL]

-Mac

This is a very timely thread for me, as the alternator went out in my wife's '96 XJ while on my way to work Monday morning. I was going to drop by and pick up a new NAPA unit tonight, but was also thinking about rebuilding the original one. As I've never rebuilt one before, I'm a little apprehensive about it. Is it difficult to do? The NAPA one (new) is $224 out the door...and made in China, unfortunately. I'll be watching this thread for updates, @macleanflood! ;)

Reactions: ColoJeep
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
1. Have you properly diagnosed the alternator as the problem?
2. If so, have you determined the windings are okay? That kit won't fix a broken wire in the winding.

Is it difficult to do?

I've mentioned in another thread about having a local shop rebuild one in about 30 minutes while I talked to him. I've never done it since my local guy charges me $40, but if he can do it that fast, I'd guess anyone with decent mechanical knowledge, tools and youtube could do it in a few hours.

I've mentioned in another thread about having a local shop rebuild one in about 30 minutes while I talked to him. I've never done it since my local guy charges me $40, but if he can do it that fast, I'd guess anyone with decent mechanical knowledge, tools and youtube could do it in a few hours.

Might be worth it just for the gains in knowledge and experience. Thanks, man. (y)

Reactions: ColoJeep and BlueC