Rebuilt NV3550

jodomcfrodo

Antagonist and Dick
Supporting Member
Hi all,
My NV3550 is starting to bite the dust after 220,000 miles so I'm looking into getting a new transmission. I've found that there is a huge price difference between many rebuilt models. For example, there are transmissions out there for $1000 while advanced adapters has theirs up for $1800. Is there any real difference between these options? Is buying the $1000 transmission risky?

Essentially, where would you buy a rebuilt transmission? I'm not really interested in used unless it is very low miles.

Thanks!

I would personally replace it with a brand new AX15 from Novak if it were mine. They can be had for $1540...kind of pricey but have to consider what you're getting when you buy one.

You can probably buy used 3550's for pretty cheap too, or you can get yours rebuilt. I would avoid the rebuild option, New Venture has been dead for about a decade now and the only rebuild parts available are offshore parts which I wouldn't want to spend my money or time messing with.

When I was looking into a rebuild for mine, I found the mopar rebuild kit for about 400 bucks if I wanted to do it myself, and was quoted about 1500 Total (P&L) to go through it. You need a bunch of special tools for the NV3550, as the whole transmission case has to slide off before you can remove anything. Davey's Jeep quoted me about 700 for a used one, shipped.

I found the ones on Ebay too...I don't think its only 1000 bucks. They hit you with a core charge too, and I'm sure return shipping is not included. Once you add that, you're right back up to the 1500 dollar mark.

I ended up using a local guy to install a new input shaft, as he looked all the bearings and synchros over and said no need to replace. I'm only at 130000 miles though.

When its time to replace, I'll probably go AX-15 too. There are a LOT more of them around than the very specific NV3550 that was used in the TJ for two years.

Reactions: Brantley