Receiver hitch pin distance survey

I'm trying to figure out a few parameters for something I'm working on. I need some numbers to help with that if possible. The distance from the end of the receiver tube to the center of the hitch pin hole is all over the map so an average of what I'm up against will tell me if I can pull it off.

View attachment 361715

1.5” (Warn)

Yep, what prompted this is I was building the part, happened to glance up and realized I was looking at rig that had a bumper with a hitch pin distance of sub 1". WTF? How many do that shit?

Too many. Once you declare it a "recovery point " standards be damned. In my non engineering opinion any less than 1.5 is not really adequate.

Reactions: psrivats and Zorba
Yep, what prompted this is I was building the part, happened to glance up and realized I was looking at rig that had a bumper with a hitch pin distance of sub 1". WTF? How many do that shit?

Since many of these are in the context of TJ bumpers that sit behind a cross member and a fuel tank I'm sure a lot of them bury the hitch as deep as they can and then cut it off at whatever length looks right to them.

2” on mine, home built bumper but the receiver tube I bought. Can’t remember where from, but either the trailer store down the road or the truck/trailer supply shop I worked at in high school.

Mine is 1-1/4 and I made it that way on purpose to tuck it tight to the bumper. But I also fully welded in the 1/4" ring at the end, essentially leaving a 1/2" x 1/2" square ring of steel to prevent pull-out of the pin over time. Also, I will never use this as a recovery point - I have two recovery points on the rear. The hitch is just to allow me to tow a small utility trailer. I don't think LJs are supposed to tow over 2,500 lbs anyway.

bumper3.jpg

2.5” 08 GMC 1500
2” 13 F150
2.5” 01 Tacoma
2”. 19 F250 SD 2.5” reciever
2” Dirtwerks 05 TJ
2.5” on my off road forklift.
Clamp receiver on forklift is 4” and clamp shaft is 3.5”.

If it helps I checked my many inserts:
#14K 4”
#12K 4.5” load distributing
All my #10K 3.5-4”
All my #7.5K 2.75-3”
My cheap #10K recovery hook has .75 and 2” holes.

0E7F0D86-6CD1-4EED-BD68-505CE85DB901.jpeg

61CC4959-6F92-4CA6-9971-763BDB882FE7.jpeg

3E8C7D9A-C1F4-462C-AB6E-EE9E00CC0CD0.jpeg

I think you are confused about why I need to know something.

Just saying, hole placement could vary depending on weight of item being pulled. More meat behind it seems like it would be less likely to deform under heavy load.

Just saying, hole placement could vary depending on weight of item being pulled. More meat behind it seems like it would be less likely to deform under heavy load.

And again, you do not know what I am trying to figure out and why. This has nothing to do with using a receiver hitch for towing.

And again, you do not know what I am trying to figure out and why. This has nothing to do with using a receiver hitch for towing.

For what it's worth:
Rokmen bumper kit --1 11/16 "

98 4Runner factory hitch — 2 "

04 TJ receiver — 1 3/8 "

04 aftermarket receiver on 04 Tacoma --1 1/2 " AND 2 1/2 "

Best wishes for your future possibilities Blaine !