Recharging AC

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
So when I went to replace the heater core, I had to drain the refrigerant to complete the job and get the air box out. I never recharged it since if it’s warm enough to need AC, I just drove with the top down. I’m going to sell my TJ now though, and would like to recharge the system to have it working for the next owner.

What’s the best at-home system for recharging 134a? Anything I should know before I tackle this? Thanks!

Vacuum it down & charge with whatever the a/c decal under the hood says.

Take it to a shop and have it done.
There’s no home remedy for where you’re at.

Not true.

If you want to buy a vacuum pump and all the other tools required then yes you can recharge your own A/C system but you'll need a few $$$ in tools to do so. So most likely it'd be cheaper to take it to a shop.

How long has the system been disabled?

You need a vacuum pump. Borrow one from auto zone.

I didn't know Auto zone had them for borrow/rent.

Not true.

If you want to buy a vacuum pump and all the other tools required then yes you can recharge your own A/C system but you'll need a few $$$ in tools to do so. So most likely it'd be cheaper to take it to a shop.

How long has the system been disabled?

I didn't know Auto zone had them for borrow/rent.
They do. Borrow the gauges while you’re there. If you don’t know what you’re doing, take it to a shop as others have suggested.

Reactions: Wildman
They do. Borrow the gauges while you’re there. If you don’t know what you’re doing, take it to a shop as others have suggested.

Kewl,
I'll have to look into it then. Might decide to put my A/C system back together.