Recommendations for parts (spark plug wires, distributor cap and finger)

Hey Guys,

i want to change my old spark plug wires, they are red and id dont know if they are original. Does any one know where i could get oem wires or are there good after market one out there? Same for the distributer cap and finger. My Detailer Washed the engine bay with a pressure cleaner, now if i want to start it takes a long time to crank and it runs some times for the first 10 Seconds very rugh and not on all cylinders.

Best greetings from Austria

I went with Accel off US Amazon. Copper slugs instead of aluminum. Cleared up the last of my random misfires.

You've got water somewhere. WD-40 is good for drying that up...but... anything you spray without wiping it down will pick up grime.

Check grounds. Check that PDU.

Off topic this was my 2001 F250...been chasing a misfire for a month...no codes...just water in the coil boots...

IMG_20220203_153329569.jpg

-Mac

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation, do you have any problems with your radio?
Other than my Jeep is so loud that I usually just wear Isotunes hearing protection slash earbuds...nope...PO had the absolute worst install...I replaced the single DIN adapter...removed the wire nuts...crimped and heat shrinked all the connections...connected ones that were not connected like illumination. And removed a 1990s era amp under the driver's seat that was held in place with one rusty screw and a sub half the size of the rear tub.

Need to buy some 90 db efficient speakers...but I YouTube a lot when driving the Jeep so not having music keeps me from wrecking footage with copyright.

I dj weddings a lot...well I used too...on weekends. I like good audio.

-Mac

The last distributor cap and rotor I ordered was the best quality I've ever seen. I think it was called Blue Streak or something like that. Made in Ohio. Can't find the exact link at the moment but I'll poke around.

The last distributor cap and rotor I ordered was the best quality I've ever seen. I think it was called Blue Streak or something like that. Made in Ohio. Can't find the exact link at the moment but I'll poke around.
Those are the best parts...the ones you install and completely forget about because they just work.

-Mac

To expound a little on the Blue Streak piece, it was noticably heavier than the standard cap with all brass terminals and contacts. The hold down screws were even better quality. Very solid and well made.

Accel #136010. $28 US dollars.

Bumping this thread. @TheBoogieman, I've read on here that I should try to get OEM if I can, in order to avoid any "low resistance" wires. Are these Accel ones pretty close to OEM?

As you know, mine is a four-cylinder. I'm finding it hard to find sets for it, but I suppose I could just get a 6-cylinder kit and end up with two spares.

Edit: Summit says that the Accel are 8mm, whereas the cheap brands are all 7mm. Summit doesn't say what the Mopar replacement ones are, but I assume they too are 8mm. I'm interested in the thickness and insulation because I'm getting some interference in my radios.

Last edited:
@Jerry Bransford, you've written elsewhere to avoid low-resistance spark plug wires, mainly for the reason I'm replacing mine (RF interference). So what is a good measure of resistance for these wires? The Accel ones mentioned above are 8mm and allegedly well-insulated, but also boast "only 500 ohms per foot".

5k Ohms per foot is typical, I wish I still had one of the ignition wires from my 97 TJ so I could measure it.

The key takeaway is in the case of ignition wires, lower resistance does not necessarily mean better. Insufficient resistance in ignition wiring can mean more radio frequency interference that can interfere with the PCM or cause static in the AM car radio or CB radio.

Reactions: SSTJ
5k Ohms per foot is typical, I wish I still had one of the ignition wires from my 97 TJ so I could measure it.

The key takeaway is in the case of ignition wires, lower resistance does not necessarily mean better. Insufficient resistance in ignition wiring can mean more radio frequency interference that can interfere with the PCM or cause static in the AM car radio or CB radio.

Thanks. And yep, that's why I'm replacing mine, which seem to be these or these, as far as I can tell.

So the 8mm Accel wires, with 500 ohms per foot should be a good close match with factory/OEM? Or when you say 'typical', do you mean typical by knock-off standards, not OEM.

p.s. I see you wrote 5k Ohms per foot, but the Accel are 500.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'd consider the Accel to be likely to cause more RF interference. But if you never listen to AM or CB radios you may never notice anything.

Reactions: SSTJ