Recommendations for PCM replacement vendor

Jen'sTJ

The dealer says I need to replace my PCM. The service writer was honest and said he would not recommend paying for the dealer part because it was about $1200. I am looking for a recommendation for an aftermarket option. I have seen on eBay a service to rebuild my PCM for $220. FS1 was mentioned in some threads, but they seem to have a fair amount of bad reviews. CarComputerExchange and ProTechAutoSystems have units for around $700. I have seen a number of references to WarnglerFix but their price is about the same as the dealer was charging. I would love to hear from anyone that has used one of these vendors and what their experience was with them. Thanks for the help!

Some background on my issue: I took my 2005 TJ Rubicon into the dealer to diagnose a problem that I have been chasing in some fashion since purchasing the Jeep for my wife in 2015. I won't bore you with the long list of codes recorded as I chased down the problem but I have done the usual fixes: CPS, CKS, VVT, Sparkplugs, and Fuel Pump. The basic problems were: crank-no start, gauge cluster randomly going dead, throttle "bucking" under acceleration. These seem to be common issues with the '05-06 models and many owners posting threads on what they have done to solve their problems (refer back to the "usual fixes"). At this point, I decided it was likely one of two things, either one of the parts I installed was bad or it was the PCM. Before you ask, no I did not use Mopar sensors in my efforts. Without a scan tool, I decided to turn to the dealer. Shout out to AKINS FORD (Ram dealer too) for their help. If you are in NE Georgia and need help, these guys are great! I told them I wanted a thorough diagnosis on the issue and they did. At first, they identified the problem as the CPC was bad and said the aftermarket parts do goofy things to the electrical system and that could be the gauge cluster issue. We agreed to replace the sensor and re-test. The next day they called and said it wasn't the sensor and they believe that the PCM needs to be replaced. They also suggested we put the old aftermarket back in since the new one clearly did not solve the issue. Total charge for all this work was $99.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
How many people here have a spare PCM? I'm considering adding one to my "stockpile" of hard to find parts. While FS1 should not be used, according to this forum and many reviewers, they have a lifetime warranty while WranglerFix has a 1 year. I realize a warranty is only as good as the customer service presented....

The dealer says I need to replace my PCM. The service writer was honest and said he would not recommend paying for the dealer part because it was about $1200. I am looking for a recommendation for an aftermarket option. I have seen on eBay a service to rebuild my PCM for $220. FS1 was mentioned in some threads, but they seem to have a fair amount of bad reviews. CarComputerExchange and ProTechAutoSystems have units for around $700. I have seen a number of references to WarnglerFix but their price is about the same as the dealer was charging. I would love to hear from anyone that has used one of these vendors and what their experience was with them. Thanks for the help!

Some background on my issue: I took my 2005 TJ Rubicon into the dealer to diagnose a problem that I have been chasing in some fashion since purchasing the Jeep for my wife in 2015. I won't bore you with the long list of codes recorded as I chased down the problem but I have done the usual fixes: CPS, CKS, VVT, Sparkplugs, and Fuel Pump. The basic problems were: crank-no start, gauge cluster randomly going dead, throttle "bucking" under acceleration. These seem to be common issues with the '05-06 models and many owners posting threads on what they have done to solve their problems (refer back to the "usual fixes"). At this point, I decided it was likely one of two things, either one of the parts I installed was bad or it was the PCM. Before you ask, no I did not use Mopar sensors in my efforts. Without a scan tool, I decided to turn to the dealer. Shout out to AKINS FORD (Ram dealer too) for their help. If you are in NE Georgia and need help, these guys are great! I told them I wanted a thorough diagnosis on the issue and they did. At first, they identified the problem as the CPC was bad and said the aftermarket parts do goofy things to the electrical system and that could be the gauge cluster issue. We agreed to replace the sensor and re-test. The next day they called and said it wasn't the sensor and they believe that the PCM needs to be replaced. They also suggested we put the old aftermarket back in since the new one clearly did not solve the issue. Total charge for all this work was $99.

Is your Jeep an automatic or manual? You can call me to discuss in further detail at 866-888-7710.

I have a PCM from http://www.wranglerfix.com/ that resolved two issues I was having with my ‘05 LJ but it’s not a fix-all solution.

What codes have you had?
The list is longer than what I have logged, here's what I did log (grouped according to episodes):
P0300, P0335, P0508, P0334, P0340
V0155, P0335, P2074, P0300, U0155
P0344, P0335, P0016, P0300, P0344, P0335
P0152, P0300, P0335

The list is longer than what I have logged, here's what I did log (grouped according to episodes):
P0152, P0300, P0335

I’ve chased most of those at one point or another, no hesitation to recommend @Wranglerfix as well. I wouldn’t go with a dealer option since you’ll be having these issues again someday - the OEM PCM design for 05/06 is just flawed.

P0152, P0300, P0335

It is the pcm causing a lot of those codes. You can do a manual pcm “test” by doing the following...Let the Jeep run until the pcm becomes hot and tap on it. The Jeep will die indicating pcm failure.

PS

Those are the most codes I have encountered with a faulty pcm! With that kind of luck I would run over to Dahlonega and pan for gold (Dalton boy over here!)