Recommendations on painting / coating the floor board

willb97

I am new to the TJ family. I bought my son a 97 and we would like to know any recommendations for painting/coating the floor board. Please, any help would be appreciated. (Little to no rust).

I am new to the TJ family. I bought my son a 97 and we would like to know any recommendations for painting/coating the floor board. Please, any help would be appreciated. (Little to no rust).

Are your floor boards rusted? Why do you want to paint them?

How’s the heat?
It's not bad unless you reach your bare feet past the pedals to stretch. Behind the pedals it's pretty freaking hot. (I often drive with no shoes durning summer since shifting with sandles is awkward and borderline dangerous.)

If the heat bothered me I'd just buy some rubber floor mats. The convince of hosing the tube out after a run is priceless to me.

Last edited:
OP, mine has all kinds of scuffs and scratches. Looks like someone wore work boots on bare metal every day to drive or they had some mat in there without carpet that had an abrasive underside. Either way, I'm thinking about the same thing as what I've got now is what eventually leads to rust.

I'd sand the area you want to paint, tape it off, and hit with any durable top coat. I plan to eventually do a big fresh rectangular clean up patch that way. Rest of my tub is pretty much pristine on the inside. Might just do liner under the floor mats for grip and protection.

Be sure to address all rust and have the area spotless clean first.
I like Rustolium primer (2 coats) then Rustolium paint (2 coats). Exposed all year in the weather on implements and that lasts well over a decade. And then it only needs touchup.