Recommended brand of u-joints?

Moseley81

Supporting Member
Hey all getting ready to do some spring maintenance. What ujoints do yall recommend? As far as i can tell im still running the factorys. All so im planning on doing the brakes and rotors in front and drums in rear. What brakes are a good brand to go with? Thanks.

Rock Auto has the greaseable 51310 for just under $20 each. Non greaseable are about $14.

The sealed 5-1310x is stronger and more desirable most of the time than the 5-153x greasable version of the 1310. I'd only run the greasable version 5-153x for constant immersion in soupy mud which would require regular greasing.

Reactions: Willys LJ
Thanks Jerry. I was thinking along the lines of periodic maintenance and being able to grease one if needed. I'm just concerned about the how long the non-greasable version would last under normal use. I've wore out a few "no maintenance/permanently sealed" parts over the years as I tend to keep things for a very long time.

Thanks Jerry. I was thinking along the lines of periodic maintenance and being able to grease one if needed. I'm just concerned about the how long the non-greasable version would last under normal use. I've wore out a few "no maintenance/permanently sealed" parts over the years as I tend to keep things for a very long time.
Spicer's sealed u-joints are what I run & while I'm not sure of their max mileage it's at least 100k miles. They're stronger and more durable than the greasable versions are. I ran greasable u-joints on my driveshafts for several years, never again.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
Spicer absolutely. My ‘97 2500 CTD will only ever see Spicer u-joints non greaseable. They’re tried and true. If they last on a 7000 lb truck, I’m sure they’re be more than good enough for a Wrangler. I order mine off drivetrainamerica.com. I figure if grease can be pumped in, dirt and debris can find its way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say I appreciate this thread. I need to replace my u-joints on the front DS and just ordered some spicer 5-1310x off Amazon.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just wanted to say I appreciate this thread. I need to replace my u-joints on the front DS and just ordered some spicer 5-1310x off Amazon.
Add the centering yoke to your order, well worth the extra $70 to replace it while it’s apart. And be careful with the seal around it.

Did they use the 1330 on the TJ?

Yes, at least on the Rubicon and Unlimited.

what was stock from the factory for an 05 X model? was it greasable? Want to look to see if mine might be original.
The factory does not use greasable u-joints. Stick with the sealed like we're recommending, they're stronger than greasable types with the zerks in the body. Your X use 1310 size u-joints in the driveshafts and a 297 in the axle shafts. For your driveshafts use Spicer 5-1310x and Spicer 5-760x in the axle shaft which is a direct fit/replacement for the 5-297 the factory installed. Jeep had Spicer develop the 5-760x for the Rubicon when it was coming out, it's a nice same size upgrade for the 5-297 the factory installed.

Reactions: rasband