Recommended fairlead on ARB deluxe bumper for synthetic rope?

Your Jeep is primarily metal to metal that is bolted together. The F55 is a blatant rip-off of the original Safety Thimble as designed by forum member mrblaine.

Yeah, i figured I might have received some criticism over the factor55 based off previous threads. I agree but thought this would be the best option to minimize any damage to the fairlead that might cause the rope to snag or tear on some imperfection caused by the metal to metal contact. I’ll admit that I don’t have any real winching experience to know if what I’m speaking of is really a problem that could occur. This is a good learning experiencing and is why I posted on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal and DrDmoney
You aren't going to damage the rollers by pulling the Safety Thimble snug against the rollers or a hawse. That is one of the purposes of it's design. The F55 copy works just the same, though it is needlessly heavier than the Safety Thimble. F55's inclusion of the rubber washer does nothing but add confusion and misinformation about how things work. That is a hallmark of F55.

You aren't going to damage the rollers by pulling the Safety Thimble snug against the rollers or a hawse. That is one of the purposes of it's design. The F55 copy works just the same, though it is needlessly heavier than the Safety Thimble. F55's inclusion of the rubber washer does nothing but add confusion and misinformation about how things work. That is a hallmark of F55.
Very well said.

I have decided to keep the roller fairlead and opted for the Factor 55 Splicer. I went with this over the safety thimble primarly due to the rubber base to prevent any metal to metal contact on the roller fairlead. I am sure I could fab up a rubber base plate for the ST and will consider it in the future.
Factor 55 :sick:

I'm running the original warn roller fairlead with a TRE rope👍👍

IMG_20190915_130316.jpg

Your Jeep is primarily metal to metal that is bolted together. The F55 is a blatant rip-off of the original Safety Thimble as designed by forum member mrblaine.
I couldn't find a MrBlaine safety thimble. Not on Savvy's site either. It appears Viking doesn't make them anymore either?

How about just getting two Hawse style, putting them back to back, then bolting them into the bumper. Then you would get a large radius opening on both sides, making easy spooling even to the sides of the winch. Pick up a cheap one for the inside and a matching the winch on the outside. That should avoid any chance the sharp edge of the bumper could snag the line. And save some weight too(not much, but a bit).

How about just getting two Hawse style, putting them back to back, then bolting them into the bumper. Then you would get a large radius opening on both sides, making easy spooling even to the sides of the winch. Pick up a cheap one for the inside and a matching the winch on the outside. That should avoid any chance the sharp edge of the bumper could snag the line. And save some weight too(not much, but a bit).
Pretty sure they make ones with a radius on the inside!

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I was trying to get the fairlead thick enough to stand proud of the bumper face. The 2 would give enough thickness to prevent the rope from abraiding on the bumper surface due to the recessed mounting surface. Not due to some lack in radius of the fairlead.