Recommended re-gear for 31" tires?

What will his RPM’s be at 60MPH with 31 inch tires and 4.10 gears?

No idea, i cant really compare, 5spd vs 6 spd different tire sizes & he's on 15's vs 16's only thing we have that match is the 3:07's - Next time im out & about I will post what my RPMS are @ 60 mph

No idea, i cant really compare, 5spd vs 6 spd different tire sizes & he's on 15's vs 16's only thing we have that match is the 3:07's - Next time im out & about I will post what my RPMS are @ 60 mph
If only there was an online calculator put together specifically for things like this in order to mitigate this sort of speculation.

There has to be a way that Jeep enthusiasts would use to plan a build out.

• Haha
Reactions: xxdabroxx and L J
If only there was a online calculator put together specifically for things like that type of speculation.

There has to be a way that Jeep enthusiasts would use to plan a build out.
Dude! I'd make one but, my job is essential so I don't have the time.

Then how do you know it will be screaming if the gears are swapped to 4.10’s?
Because, from my past experience any vehicle that I have had 4:11's in at highway speeds over 60-70 mph screamed. Even worse with his 5 speed vs a 6 spd doesn't help. ( sorry 4:11's )

Last edited:
Because, from my past experience any vehicle that I have had 4:10's in at highway speeds over 60-70 mph screamed. Even worse with his 5 speed vs a 6 spd doesn't help.
The final drive ratio is all that matters. Go to the Grimmjeeper.com site and enter in the numbers. That way you can see for yourself. Come back and post up the results...

Ok that said, what is the reasoning / purpose of going to a 6spd vs 5spd then ? Love to learn / thanks.👍

I can only speculate but the fact that the Jeep brand was owned by Daimler-Chrysler (the 6 speed being a Daimler design) had to be the main factor.

4.10 is perfect for my TJ with 33's and the 32RH with no overdrive. With a manual, you'd want even lower gears than me. 4.10 sounds just about right for 31's and a 5spd.

Too many people think of 4.10's as in a '67 Camaro with 26" tires and no OD.

A guy at work kept trying to tell me my Jeep would be screaming down the highway with 4.10's. I couldn't get him to understand that I have 33" tires, and a totally different vehicle than an old muscle car.

After I regeard it, he said "So how is it?", assuming I was wrong and he was right. I said "It's perfect".

4.10 is perfect for my TJ with 33's and the 32RH with no overdrive. With a manual, you'd want even lower gears than me. 4.10 sounds just about right for 31's and a 5spd.

Too many people think of 4.10's as in a '67 Camaro with 26" tires and no OD.

A guy at work kept trying to tell me my Jeep would be screaming down the highway with 4.10's. I couldn't get him to understand that I have 33" tires, and a totally different vehicle than an old muscle car.

After I regeard it, he said "So how is it?", assuming I was wrong and he was right. I said "It's perfect".

................And there ya go. Thank you for taking the time to clarify exactly what I was thinking !!!

1585585849341.png

................And there ya go. Thank you for taking the time to clarify exactly what I was thinking !!!

View attachment 149324
No overdrive and no lockup makes a big difference in drivability/streetability. I was torn between a built turbo 400 trans (no overdrive) and a built 4L80E (overdrive). Because I want to street my build, I went with a built 4L80E.

My tires are a bit over 31 & have 4.56s. 5th gear is actually useable. I rarely have to gear down to go up any hills at any speed. As I recall, 60 mph in 5th is about 2700 rpm.

Your situation is exactly like mine-- 90-95% pavement pounder, occasional off road use here also
I have 31's with the stock 3:07's and hope to re-gear in the next year or so. I will never go bigger than 31's. Will never lift the jeep. I did some research and found that the perfect ratio is 3:42 , but will probably go to 3:55's
These jeeps arent a fast & powerful streemin' machine-- they weren't designed like that, so they will be "sluggish" to you right now
I will try and find the link that I used to determine the correct ratio- its SUPER informative a worth the 7 or 8 minutes to watch

Your situation is exactly like mine-- 90-95% pavement pounder, occasional off road use here also
I have 31's with the stock 3:07's and hope to re-gear in the next year or so. I will never go bigger than 31's. Will never lift the jeep. I did some research and found that the perfect ratio is 3:42 , but will probably go to 3:55's
These jeeps arent a fast & powerful streemin' machine-- they weren't designed like that, so they will be "sluggish" to you right now
I will try and find the link that I used to determine the correct ratio- its SUPER informative a worth the 7 or 8 minutes to watch
I have stock 3.55s in my '97 with 31s. I don't hot rod it, but I rarely get to 5th gear unless I'm out on the divided highway or interstate, or headed downhill. But I live among rolling hills, so I constantly need the torque. I see you live in Florida, which probably makes a big difference.

I have stock 3.55s in my '97 with 31s. I don't hot rod it, but I rarely get to 5th gear unless I'm out on the divided highway or interstate, or headed downhill. But I live among rolling hills, so I constantly need the torque. I see you live in Florida, which probably makes a big difference.
Yep-- we are FLAT as a pancake around here, occasionally a few slight grades here or there. I am in 5th a lot compared to most folks- I just have a different opinion on gearing & rpm's
We have the exact same tires

Reactions: Pmeguy
You'll be disappointed at the money spent vs improvement. Not sure where you found 3.42 to be the ideal ratio. What I will tell you is that based on experience, opinions of those that have regeared, and the performance characteristics of the 4.0, a 4.10 will be the recommendation of those in the know.