Recommended Rotary Tool?

Honestly pretty much all rotary tools kind of suck these days. I have destroyed two m12 tools (both times metal dust shavings made their way inside from cutting steel) and I now have a dremel because I couldn't bring myself to buy another m12. I haven't had it long enough to know how it will last. I have borrowed an m12 die grinder and it was pathetic. You barely lean into it and the thermal overload kicks in and shuts it down. Over and over again during the whole 3 minutes worth of battery life with a 6ah. For occasional use I would just buy whatever amazon is selling at this point because there doesn't seem to be any (brand name or not) that are actually built to high quality standards.
If you want the "best" rotary tool check out Foredom:
https://www.foredom.net/product/k-txh440-industrial-kit-with-square-drive-shafting/

What tool were running in that die grinder? If you say a cut off disc larger than 1.5", then that would be silly. It takes some serious horsepower to run a 4" cut off disc with any efficiency whatsoever. I have a right angle die grinder that does it. The average person won't spend what it costs nor acquire the large air CFM required in a compressor to run it. Mine is about 14 cfm at 120 psi and barely, and I mean barely keeps up.

Reactions: lBasket and Zorba
What tool were running in that die grinder? If you say a cut off disc larger than 1.5", then that would be silly. It takes some serious horsepower to run a 4" cut off disc with any efficiency whatsoever. I have a right angle die grinder that does it. The average person won't spend what it costs nor acquire the large air CFM required in a compressor to run it. Mine is about 14 cfm at 120 psi and barely, and I mean barely keeps up.

I was running some 2in roloc sanding discs and 1/4 carbide burrs with the m12. I have an m18 die grinder that I have been very happy with and I use it almost exclusively with 3in cutoff discs. I’ve never tried 4in but I imagine it would struggle.

Reactions: J.Pierce
My son and I practically dismantled the entire sheet metal body of a rust bucket 1970 Nova and cut the replacement panels almost exclusively with the M12 rotary tool and a metric sh**t ton of 1 1/2 inch cutoff discs. Was it ideal? Not by a long shot but, it worked.

Last edited:
I have the M18 die grinder too.
It's not for tight spaces, but it's handy when I don't want to fire up the compressor in my van and drag out a cord.
I've never sat down for a long grinding session with it, so I can't really comment on battery life.
But at home or at work I've never had much use for a Dremel, just not enough snort.

But this one is pretty good with a 3" cutoff wheel, but I've used it mostly with flap wheels or burrs.

2784-20-6_1024x1024.jpg

There is a small M12 90 degree and a straight cutoff style too, but I've never used either one.

Thanks all.

I ended up getting a Dewalt 20V die grinder. Glad to have cordless, and can use my existing Dewalt batteries.

Will probably work for my current needs. May someday get a Dremel for tighter spaces, or a corded angle grinder for bigger jobs.

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
Thanks all.

I ended up getting a Dewalt 20V die grinder. Glad to have cordless, and can use my existing Dewalt batteries.

Will probably work for my current needs. May someday get a Dremel for tighter spaces, or a corded angle grinder for bigger jobs.

Check back in how you like it if you remember, I'm in that battery ecosystem

Reactions: SSTJ