Recommended Tire Carriers

AtlWrangler99

TJ Enthusiast
Good afternoon folks. I need some recommendations on purchasing an affordable durable tire carrier. Can you all send me some links? My tire size is 35x12.50R 15LT and what is the average cost I should be paying to get it put on.

B1.PNG

Thank you!!!

Since the OR-Fab tire carrier was discontinued (which was the best tire carrier out there IMHO), the only tire carrier I'll recommend anymore is the Exogate tire carrier:
https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

The way the Exogate is configured to work is ideal for carrying a full size spare (especially with how heavy they get). I can't recommend any of the bumpers with the build in tire carriers. Those things all hinge on a lousy bearing design that causes all sorts of issues. I decided not to go down that path after @Jerry Bransford explained it to me years ago.

Reactions: AtlWrangler99
Since the OR-Fab tire carrier was discontinued (which was the best tire carrier out there IMHO), the only tire carrier I'll recommend anymore is the Exogate tire carrier:
https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

The way the Exogate is configured to work is ideal for carrying a full size spare (especially with how heavy they get). I can't recommend any of the bumpers with the build in tire carriers. Those things all hinge on a lousy bearing design that causes all sorts of issues. I decided not to go down that path after @Jerry Bransford explained it to me years ago.

Thank you. How much should I pay to have it put on? Wait, I need to change the bumper too? Sorry, if my questions seem to be trivial. I'm a new owner and new to this jeep world. I see this stuff isn't cheap.

If you have any inclination to DIY, and even basic wrenching skills, this is one you could DIY. I put my own lift on earlier this year with never having done any wrenching on autos.

If you still want to pay to have someone put it on, I'd imagine it would be whatever the hourly rate is, probably $60-100/hr for two hours.

Still, I would look at the instructions which you can download from the Exogate website as well as YouTube videos of the install.

If you have any inclination to DIY, and even basic wrenching skills, this is one you could DIY. I put my own lift on earlier this year with never having done any wrenching on autos.

If you still want to pay to have someone put it on, I'd imagine it would be whatever the hourly rate is, probably $60-100/hr for two hours.

Still, I would look at the instructions which you can download from the Exogate website as well as YouTube videos of the install.

Hey man the only thing I know how to do is put air in the tire and gas it up. Lol I'd hate to break a nail.....no but seriously I will take a look at some videos and see if I am capable of doing it myself.

X2 to the above. You can use your stock bumper with this setup, and it's really easy to install it, honestly. This is one of those things you really could do yourself, even if you aren't very experienced. It probably takes 30 minutes to install I'd figure.

Thank you. I will settle on this one for now. I have a trip coming up in two weeks and can't really splurge on anything right now. Every since I have bought this jeep I have been obsessed with driving and finding parts to fix her up. I've been neglecting my poor little LS 460.

Jeeps will do that to you... I know how that goes and then some.

Guys what are your thoughts on this one? Will this work as a quick fix until I can buy one of the nicer heavier duty ones?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers...aspx?t_c=64&t_s=26&t_pt=3902&t_pn=RUG11585.01
It will hold a 35" tire with correct spacing off the trunk, but your problem will be your hinges. The hinges on your trunk door were not made to hold the weight of a 35" tire. It will cause your door to sag at the hinges and mess up the trunk door in the long run. That is why the Exogate is mainly known as a solution to the hinge problem.

It will hold a 35" tire with correct spacing off the trunk, but your problem will be your hinges. The hinges on your trunk door were not made to hold the weight of a 35" tire. It will cause your door to sag at the hinges and mess up the trunk door in the long run. That is why the Exogate is mainly known as a solution to the hinge problem.
Ok, thanks. I will use this as a quick fix and purchase one of the heavy duty ones within the next two months.

Reactions: JMT