Recommended tire pressure for 35" tires?

That's what LiteBrite told us for their JLU. Take that for what it's worth.
They were recently at the Milestar HQ so I could see some truth to it. Milestar seems to be awfully good to them.

I think TrailRecon said he keeps his at a higher than expected pressure also.

They were recently at the Milestar HQ so I could see some truth to it. Milestar seems to be awfully good to them.

I think TrailRecon said he keeps his at a higher than expected pressure also.

I tried 24psi and liked them better with a bit less. My TJ weighs considerately less than a JKU/JLU.

My initial thoughts on the Patagonia isn't off to a great start and I'm already planning on grooving and sipping them. I didn't buy them for anywhere near full price or with high expectations. Take that FWiW. :)

Reactions: Apparition
Until you go to the booth at the Alaska state fair that sells shirts making fun of how small Texas is.

Back in a previous life, I was receiving a shipment from a trucking company I worked with often. I asked the driver where he had come from before us.

"TEXAS!" he yells. "Y'all hear of it?"

"I have", I replied. "I hear it's smaller than Alaska."

The driver looked irritated, then erupted into laughter and said he's never heard that one before. I told him he needs to get out of Texas more often.

Reactions: Apparition
If you want the scientific answer on load and inflation here is some reading material:

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf
Every tire manufacturer conforms to a stand load and inflation chart. You can look up your OE data on the door sticker and correlate it to the manufacturers ratings. This will give you the proper pressure for any tire based on the weight of you vehicle as manufactured. Or you could weigh it at the truck stop if you want to get real close. The answer might surprise you, I have seen many vehicles running +/- 10psi from optimal pressure.

I am a tire nerd, its my job.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
I may have to lower my 35's I have been running them 28 -30 psi. Maybe I'll try 25 and see if I can a difference

Does it make a difference if I'm in an LJ with a hardtop, heavy bumpers, and a winch? Maybe shoot for the higher end of the range and go 27-28?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That's a good question. Your LJ is certainly larger/ heavier than the TJ. I run 25psi in my 35x12.5R15 KM3's.

You could always experiment with different pressures to see if there's any noticeable variations in performance/ handling/ fuel economy?

Does it make a difference if I'm in an LJ with a hardtop, heavy bumpers, and a winch? Maybe shoot for the higher end of the range and go 27-28?

I own an LJ with hardtop, heavy bumpers and a winch.

The Tire and Rim Association load index tables referenced in post #28 by @AMS417 will give you an accurate tire pressure for your tires based on the weight of your rig with just a bit of extrapolation. You can use the published curb weight divided by four, but your rig will weigh more than the published numbers due to your modifications from stock. Better to stop by a public scale and get accurate axle weights.

In the meantime, to help give you a starting point, my 2006 LJ Rubicon with hardtop has a listed curb weight of 4,012#. However the real world weights are:

4,880# with driver, full tank of fuel, but empty of all gear except the factory jack and owners manual (2180#F/2700#R);

5,340# when filled with gear, food and water, driver and passenger, full fuel tank, full jerry cans, etc. and ready for a 10-day trip (2180#F/3160#R).

Calculated weight of modifications - 683 lbs. (4695 - 4012)

Approximate weight of gear, spares, tools, extra fuel and water, food, ice, etc. when fully loaded - 460 lbs. (5340-4880)

See this post for weight particulars:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-does-your-jeep-wrangler-tj-weigh.24254/page-2#post-397463

Through a combination of using the TRA load inflation tables and practical experience with this particular jeep, I have found that for my LT315/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 tires on my LJ 26 psi works well around town and 28 psi works well for long Interstate runs when fully loaded with gear.

I tried a combination of 26 front / 28 rear when fully loaded to more accurately reflect the weight differential when fully loaded but couldn't feel a difference so I decided to keep front/rear pressures the same for simpilicity.

How the jeep looks fully loaded with the tires at street pressure:

jeep-shot-2-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I own an LJ with hardtop, heavy bumpers and a winch.

The Tire and Rim Association load index tables referenced in post #28 by @AMS417 will give you an accurate tire pressure for your tires based on the weight of your rig with just a bit of extrapolation. You can use the published curb weight divided by four, but your rig will weigh more than the published numbers due to your modifications from stock. Better to stop by a public scale and get accurate axle weights.

In the meantime, to help give you a starting point, my 2006 LJ Rubicon with hardtop has a listed curb weight of 4,012#. However the real world weights are:

4,880# with driver, full tank of fuel, but empty of all gear except the factory jack and owners manual (2180#F/2700#R);

5,340# when filled with gear, food and water, driver and passenger, full fuel tank, full jerry cans, etc. and ready for a 10-day trip (2180#F/3160#R).

Calculated weight of modifications - 683 lbs. (4695 - 4012)

Approximate weight of gear, spares, tools, extra fuel and water, food, ice, etc. when fully loaded - 460 lbs. (5340-4880)

See this post for weight particulars:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-does-your-jeep-wrangler-tj-weigh.24254/page-2#post-397463

Through a combination of using the TRA load inflation tables and practical experience with this particular jeep, I have found that for my LT315/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 tires on my LJ 26 psi works well around town and 28 psi works well for long Interstate runs when fully loaded with gear.

I tried a combination of 26 front / 28 rear when fully loaded to more accurately reflect the weight differential when fully loaded but couldn't feel a difference so I decided to keep front/rear pressures the same for simpilicity.

How the jeep looks fully loaded with the tires at street pressure:

View attachment 207188
I think Mr Bill is weighing down your Jeep. OH NO!
p.s. Love that. That's the last time SNL was actually funny.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
Huge thanks for the details Mr Bill! Guess I'll use 27 as a starting point and go from there.

that is nowhere near the weight distribution I expected from something with an iron inline 6 over the front axle.

That's why many of us recommend getting actual weights from a public scale.

I've gone over scales before for that reason, just never one that I could get individual axle weights. That's still blowing my mind. I figured the proportion (55/45) would be about right, but flipped front to rear from what you got.