Recommended tires and shocks for stock LJ

David Reid

Supporting Member
Help!
Buying an 04 Unlimited 90k miles thats strickly stock, never been off road. It needs tires and shocks. Stock wheels and road tires on it now.
No plans to lift, etc. Want to maintain the stock condition, but get tires and shocks that will work nicely on road, but allow me to explore some mild to moderate jeep trails with my brother in Chattanooga. Your thoughts?

Thanks, Dave

X2 on the KO2's in a 31". Rancho RS5000X shocks to save some coin. Performance is comparable to OME's Sport shocks.

I currently run the Goodyear Duratrac and so far it's been a great tire. The combo of tight spacing on the center lugs and more open on the outers lend themselves to handle mud a bit better than something like the KO2. They are wearing well, have run them in some mud, a little snow, and rocks and they work great. Pretty quiet on road and balanced without issue, which is an important point with the TJ. They look good too, if that is important to you.

I currently run the Goodyear Duratrac and so far it's been a great tire. The combo of tight spacing on the center lugs and more open on the outers lend themselves to handle mud a bit better than something like the KO2. They are wearing well, have run them in some mud, a little snow, and rocks and they work great. Pretty quiet on road and balanced without issue, which is an important point with the TJ. They look good too, if that is important to you.
How are they on wet roads?

I love the sidewall pattern and they have a rim protector ring. The reviews on the older generals at2 were great and this is an improved version.

I have run the original ko without complaints and I know the new ko2 have a 3 ply sidewall but there was something about the generals.

20180505_170643.jpg

Last edited:
Another Duratrac fan here. Work really well for the offroading I've done, awesome in snow, and ride nice on pavement.

General Grabber ATX are redesigned for the 2018. Just put a set on yesterday.
Well, decided on the General Grabber ATX. Wanted 31" (no lift) and the ATX 31's look great.
A big part of the decision was the price. General had a special for Memorial Day that was "an offer I couldn't refuse" : )
Time will tell. So far, so good.
Thanks for the suggestions/input.

Really liking those. What size & load range did you go with?
General Grabber ATX, black wall
31x10.5x15. Staying pretty much stock + 1".
Load range C.
Ride well. Trip today in pouring rain. No problem.
In 3" red clay mud pulling out a small trailer. 2WD no problem.
Got my new tires covered in red Georgia clay!

General Grabber ATX, black wall
31x10.5x15. Staying pretty much stock + 1".
Load range C.
Ride well. Trip today in pouring rain. No problem.
In 3" red clay mud pulling out a small trailer. 2WD no problem.
Got my new tires covered in red Georgia clay!
Thanks for the input. My question was actually directed at @Camdenst, though, as he has a Rubicon with the 16" Moab wheels...:)