Recovery equipment recommendations

Omega81

Here's a scenario for you all. You work on a property where you deal with tens of thousands of people in a day. 85% of the property is grass and dirt where it rains often. Vehicles as far as the eye can see. From small cars to 30000lb RV's. There is heavy equipment on property for recovery but 90% of the time they are unavailable due to the the events that go on and wont be free till sun down. You are responsible for everyone on the property. Its you and your TJ.
Your bumpers and tow hooks are stock and make your asshole tight when you start to pull A 30000lb RV out. What would you upgrade to? What else would you toss in your TJ. Also, the owner of the property will compensate and cover you if things don't go to plan.

I have new driveshafts, all u-joints, every bushing, every piece of suspension, ko2's, bearings, engine, Pretty much every single thing under the tj is new and upgraded. No lift.

I have in my recovery gear, gloves, signal lights, 30000 snatch rope, 50000 kinetic rope, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, radios. There are no trees or hard points to use.

Last edited:
Sorry, I do have soft shackles, forgot to mention that. What pound kinetic would suffice? What is one of the strongest bumpers I can toss on there for my application?

Last edited:
I can't speak to specific bumpers, but you want one with solid connections to the frame and enclosed (loop) recovery points, or a receiver hitch could be used.

You said you have a 50,000lb kinetic rope... which honestly is probably overkill. Mine is like 20k or something. Problem with kinetic ropes that are too big is that they won't stretch enough when pulled with a lighter vehicle so you don't actually get the benefit from the elasticity that you're looking for with a kinetic rope.

Here are descriptions/use cases for TRE kinetic ropes for example.
1621262344442.png

What kind of heavy eq. on the property are you talking about?
Make one dedicated to tow duty.
We have wreckers, loaders, tractors, and grad-all. None can be used when the events start. They are used FOR the event. The events last for 10-12 hours.

Last edited:
You are working with the wrong vehicle.
Apologies....

but I'd never put a TJ into a situation like that.
Just not heavy enough.
be that as it may, I have pulled out semis out there that are 60000bs+ fully loaded with enough speed and a kinetic rope with no issue. My issue is I don't trust my bumpers or hooks. I'm not towing them around. I assist them, give them a nudge to get out. We are not in ankle high mud. I also do weekly checks on my TJ because I love it. I mean I check EVERYTHING. My engine and tranny have a life time warranty though a friend/company that I can not name.

Last edited:
be that as it may, I have pulled out semis out there that are 60000bs+ fully loaded with enough speed and a kinetic rope with no issue. My issue is i don't trust my bumpers or hooks. I'm not towing them around. I assist them, give them a nudge to get out. We are not in ankle high mud. I also do weekly checks on my TJ because I love it. I mean I check EVERYTHING. My engine and tranny have a life time warranty though a friend/company that I can not name.
So what exactly is the issue then? Weld/bolt/etc. some recovery points to the frame. Easy.

Are these events the big mud fests I see on Youtube? :D
Haha. Honestly, after a good rain, if you came out. You would swear that's what it was. I work for a major race track. People from all over the world come. So semis, cars, campers, $2mill RV's. Like think of owners of Honda, Lexus, Nascar and so forth. Then you have me pulling them out. lol

So what exactly is the issue then? Weld/bolt/etc. some recovery points to the frame. Easy.
The issue is i don't have a wielder laying around like most of us. I don't trust my bumpers or hooks, if you were me, what bumper or upgrades would you do to your TJ for the described task.

I appreciate all the suggestions about using heavy equipment or buying heavy equipment but that's just not a option. It's all being used and would be used if bought for the event only. So for about 10 hours, IF a rig gets stuck in mud that's about 1-3 inches, 90% of the time I CAN get them out. Suv, campers, so forth no problem. If I can't, that's OK too. No big deal. they can wait till sundown to get out. I don't care. Its not do or die and we are not talking about me getting fired. I like to help our customers in every way as much as i can till i no longer can.

Last edited:
Sorry, i do have soft shackles, forgot to mention that. What pound kinetic would suffice? What is one of the strongest bumpers i can toss on there for my application?
Two options pulling from the rear

A) Install a hook on both the passenger and drivers side attached directly to the rear frame so you can get the best position on a pull.

OR

B) If you pull from the bumper, get a bumper that

1) attaches to the frame,
2) has bumper reinforcement brackets,
3) attaches to the rear crossmember,
4) has a through welded hitch
5) and use a hitch shackle

So you get a call on the radio about a stuck RV or better yet a guy pulling a large camper. Hes down in the camp grounds with his young kids. Its friday so there just arriving for the big race. So he cant even set up at all. I know at this time, all other departments and staff/equipment are being used for the the event. Pigs would fly before I could go down and grab a tractor or anything else. its not a option. I am the only hope for this guy and his kids. I can choose to look and tell him "welp, ur stuck, good luck" or I can use my TJ to assist him.

Last edited: