Recovery gear for new Jeep

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Going to be getting a new winch soon. Trying to build a list of basic recovery gear to bring when wheeling.

Ordering a new warn winch with a synthetic line.

Was thinking about getting this kit.

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/jeep-recovery-gear-kit/
Then replace the hook with a safety thimble.

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/safety-thimble-ii-orange/
Not sure about snatch blocks for synthetic line use or anything else I might be forgetting.

Trying to switch everything to quality synthetics on the new Jeep.

Anything I am forgetting I should definitely have in the Jeep?

Depending on your trails and intended use, my wife's Jeep (DD and easy/moderate trails) has only a tree strap and not a kinetic rope. It's nice that her entire recovery setup including winch controller fits under the seat and can be stored in the Jeep for daily driving too.

Depending on your trails and intended use, my wife's Jeep (DD and easy/moderate trails) has only a tree strap and not a kinetic rope. It's nice that her entire recovery setup including winch controller fits under the seat and can be stored in the Jeep for daily driving too.

I am looking to build a kit for the trails I typically run in Northern California.

Slick Rock
Rubicon
And similar trails.

So pretty darn rocky Sierra Nevada type. :)

Do synthetic lines require a different type of snatch block?

I am still learning of the differences from steel to synthetic line.

I am looking to build a kit for the trails I typically run in Northern California.

Slick Rock
Rubicon
And similar trails.

So pretty darn rocky Sierra Nevada type. :)

I am still learning of the differences from steel to synthetic line.

That’s a good question on synthetic rope vs steel on a snatch block.
Have you ever run the Rubicon in snow ❄?
I wouldn’t mind running Slick Rock with ya you trail name dropper

😢 Missed the snow trip....

We should totally run Slick Rock. I am gonna try to take the Jeep soon for a beta test.

The new bypass around the private party looks pretty fun 2 new cool obstacles. I checked them out on foot a few weeks back.

Have you run Deer Valley since they reopened it? I have not gotten to run it yet.

I'd intuitively say no. I don't think running synthetic line through a snatch block with a steel "pulley" would be a problem but you wouldn't want to run steel cable through a snatch block with an aluminum "pulley".

TRE website:
TRE Snatch Blocks are to be used with 3/8″-7/16″ synthetic rope.
Warn website:
Finished with E-coat and able to accept both wire and synthetic rope, the forged steel Epic Snatch Block is reliable, durable and ready for action.

Last edited:
One of my favorite things recently are soft shackles. Have two at a minimum.

I got to use my soft shackle for the first time yesterday, worked great. I still can't wrap my head around how they do what they do, seems like that ball would blow apart or get ripped right out of there pretty easily but apparently that's not the case. One of those pieces of engineering I just don't understand, one of many

Glad to be rid of the d-ring setup too, used it many times without issue but this thimble/soft shackle deal feels a lot better

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
I wouldn't get the kit, no reason to get an expensive pair of gloves and bag. If you are wheeling with other people a strap and soft shackle is all you really need to connect two rigs not to mention other people carry gear. Obviously with a winch you probably want the tree saver but I don't know if you need 25' for that. 8' is probably fine after all the winch line is where your length is and there again one shackle is all you need. I guess part of it depends on what your attachment points are like.

@pagrey You make some good points.

TRE snatch blocks have been out of stock for months can anyone recommend another good light weight option? Trying to keep the weight of everything down to minimize danger.

TRE snatch blocks have been out of stock for months can anyone recommend another good light weight option? Trying to keep the weight of everything down to minimize danger.

When I talked to them about a week ago they said their snatch blocks were two weeks out. Their safety thimble fairleads were six weeks out.

When I talked to them about a week ago they said their snatch blocks were two weeks out. Their safety thimble fairleads were six weeks out.

Oh Awesome that is not too far. I will have to call and place a order for them.

I echo the suggestion for soft shackles. So easy to work with. Easy to carry one in your pocket with you when out watching the other rigs in your group try things.

I trail guide for a few different organizations and we get a wide cross section of Jeep owners through the woods quite often. It never ceases to amaze me how many keep their D-Ring bow shackles on their bumpers year round, causing rusting and rendering them useless. It’s like Jeep jewelry for them or something. I like to wear gloves when doing any kind of work outside the Jeep on the trail. I’m sure you know the basics.

Not sure if you mentioned it, but if you’re new to vehicle recoveries, maybe a good class would be in order. And always check the working load limits on any recovery gear you buy to make sure it’s not ATV rated stuff etc.

@pagrey You make some good points.

Is this snatch ring light enough for you?
F1B71340-2152-4A92-9EE9-F252297C0A80.jpeg

Reactions: Midnight LJR
I got to use my soft shackle for the first time yesterday, worked great. I still can't wrap my head around how they do what they do, seems like that ball would blow apart or get ripped right out of there pretty easily but apparently that's not the case. One of those pieces of engineering I just don't understand, one of many

What will blow your mind even more is looking at how the synthetic line wrapped around a thimble is secured by being buried.

What will blow your mind even more is looking at how the synthetic line wrapped around a thimble is secured by being buried.
I spliced that thing in there & believe me when I tell you I’ve already contemplated the seeming impossibility of that design, harkened me back to days long past pondering the beginning of time/size of space after 40 bong hits.

Some things make sense, a thin synthetic line buried 14 inches into itself pulling a two ton TJ out of a ditch up a very steep hill isn’t one of them.