Recovery gear for winch equipped TJ Rubicon

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
I’m planning to take a trip this winter to Gonzaga Bay down in Baja to visit friends. The TJR I purchased last year came with a Superwinch TS9500RS. Front an rear bumpers have shackle mounts. I do not want to pull the gear out of my non winched YJ and want separate gear for the TJR. I like to keep recovery gear in the vehicle at all times. Now it’s just shackles and 2” tow straps.
While I have equipment haulers with winches this is my first vehicle equipped with a winch. Pulling rolling equipment on to a trailer is a different animal.
So far I have assembled:
Shovel
Snatch block
4 soft shackles from Blaine
Thimble from Blaine
Hard shackles
Insert for the receiver.
50’ of 2” tow strap

I’m planning on getting a tree strap and would like to get a kinetic rope if I can find one at a reasonable price. What else am I missing?
I look forward to your sugestions.

Good leather gloves.
Beach is a good place for traction boards.
Beach is also a good place for a Pull pal but they are a bulky, expensive unitasker.
A square of 3/4 inch marine plywood makes jacks more useful in sand and mud.
Small tarp.

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ
Small tarp.
Highly under valued piece of gear that is. Don't get the crap 3-4 ounce versions from Harbor freight. Get a real vinyl tarp in 6 x 8 or so in 14 ounce or better. Last a lifetime, lots of uses, fold it lots of different ways to take up minimal space ranging from in the footwell behind the seats to very thin and covering the whole cargo floor.
Throw it down on mud and dirt to work under the rig, rig it up as a shade or to keep the rain and snow off, improvise a stretcher, lots of utility for the dollar spent. We've rigged them up on one side of the rig with rocks on the lower edge to keep the wind from blowing sand and dirt in our faces doing a repair.

https://www.tarpsnow.com/14-oz-vinyl-tarp-heavy-duty.html

Highly under valued piece of gear that is. Don't get the crap 3-4 ounce versions from Harbor freight. Get a real vinyl tarp in 6 x 8 or so in 14 ounce or better. Last a lifetime, lots of uses, fold it lots of different ways to take up minimal space ranging from in the footwell behind the seats to very thin and covering the whole cargo floor.
Throw it down on mud and dirt to work under the rig, rig it up as a shade or to keep the rain and snow off, improvise a stretcher, lots of utility for the dollar spent. We've rigged them up on one side of the rig with rocks on the lower edge to keep the wind from blowing sand and dirt in our faces doing a repair.

https://www.tarpsnow.com/14-oz-vinyl-tarp-heavy-duty.html

And some rope to go with the tarp.

And some rope to go with the tarp.

Too variable but I expect everyone has some bungees, rope, little ratchet straps, big ratchet straps, or whatever. At least I see very few who don't. Given a choice, I would get some quality motorcycle tie downs that don't ratchet and some rope other than paracord. I prefer braided nylon or polyester in 3/16" for decent utility, good strength, and low cost for something you may be cutting into pieces anyway.

Too variable but I expect everyone has some bungees, rope, little ratchet straps, big ratchet straps, or whatever. At least I see very few who don't. Given a choice, I would get some quality motorcycle tie downs that don't ratchet and some rope other than paracord. I prefer braided nylon or polyester in 3/16" for decent utility, good strength, and low cost for something you may be cutting into pieces anyway.

3/16” rope In addition to paracord, or instead of?

Reactions: Fouledplugs

I argue for instead of. I have never liked using paracord.

My favorite all purpose camping and Jeep rope for the last few years has been tarred bank line.

Ironclad Supply Tarred Bank Line – Heavy Duty 100% Nylon Twine for Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Bushcraft – Odorless, Mess-Free Tar Coating (#12 Twisted, 1/4 LB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081TM8MLF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Screenshot_20221006_075008.jpg

What’s the issue with paracord - cost, strength?

Compared to other rope and cord options, I find that paracord is irritating to use. The outer casing adds just enough bulk and layer movement to make it not do what I want it to do when tying knots.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I've always just used paracord due to its strength...it is kind of a pain to work with though, with the fraying and outer braid that likes to pull. I'll check out that stuff you posted, Josh. I also carry a length of bungie cord without ends. I really like that for multiple uses...its kinda bulky (1/4" diameter) but it holds knots well and sometimes having a stretchy tie down is nice.

Just remember, if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot!

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
I've always just used paracord due to its strength...it is kind of a pain to work with though, with the fraying and outer braid that likes to pull. I'll check out that stuff you posted, Josh.

Just remember, if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot!

Trucker's hitch, lark's head and the prussic are my favorite knots. 🤫

Reactions: Mike_H

1665071202037.jpeg

Unless you can get good MIL spec cord the stuff like from Atwood is too slick and stretches. In my day pack I keep a quick deploy ridge line made with 5/32 Dyneema with bank line prussiks. For other line tying I use #36 bank line and Jute twine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H
I argue for instead of. I have never liked using paracord.

My favorite all purpose camping and Jeep rope for the last few years has been tarred bank line.

Ironclad Supply Tarred Bank Line – Heavy Duty 100% Nylon Twine for Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Bushcraft – Odorless, Mess-Free Tar Coating (#12 Twisted, 1/4 LB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081TM8MLF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 364904
Someone doing a little Bushcraft when not playing with Jeeps?

I’ve lined the back floor with 2 pieces of 3/4” plywood with friction tape for traction. I do bring a 6 ton bottle jack and misc. wood. Survival gear includes 8’x10’ HD silver tarp which has many uses. Para cord is great for backpacking but I bring 50’ of 1/4” nylon rope as I find it more useful. I can always take the strands apart if I need thinner cordage. My main concern is what items are needed now that a winch is added to the equation. The added weight of the extra stuff I bring on a trip to Baja is always a trade off. My personal and the TJs survival gear tends to add up. While in the 40 yrs of traveling Baja my only issue has been cutting a tire on my new to me YJ and finding out the spare was one size smaller. That was a “note to self moment”. On several occasions I’ve run into people who were unprepared and needed help. I do not want to be That Guy. We once found a guy walking about 250mi south walking with just his helmet. He was solo, wrecked his bike, was walking for 2 days with no food and little water. We gave him a ride back to our base in San Felipe and found him a ride back to the border.
I do appreciate your input. I enjoy the challenge of prepping for a trip to Baja almost as much aa the trip itself.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
While in the 40 yrs of traveling Baja my only issue has been cutting a tire on my new to me YJ and finding out the spare was one size smaller.

How far south have you traveled?
I hope to make the drive down to La Paz (or Cabo) some day.
Makes for a long drive starting in Illinois.