Recovery gear for winch equipped TJ Rubicon

Are the hard shackles necessary for the bumpers? Otherwise with four shackles I'd ditch them for weight.

Tire plugs? Inflator?

Gas...been a while since I've been to Mexico but gas treatment might be something to take... something to get water out of octane boost

I like canvas for my tarp.

Last time I over packed for a trip I blew out my rear shocks.

-Mac

Too variable but I expect everyone has some bungees, rope, little ratchet straps, big ratchet straps, or whatever. At least I see very few who don't. Given a choice, I would get some quality motorcycle tie downs that don't ratchet and some rope other than paracord. I prefer braided nylon or polyester in 3/16" for decent utility, good strength, and low cost for something you may be cutting into pieces anyway.

I carry large and small ratchet straps, a few tie downs, a bit of rope but don’t think I have any bungees in the Jeep. These items are always in the Jeep. Good idea on the bungees I’ll throw a couple n. I do pack more for a camping trip. I mainly do day trips.

I’ve gotten disabled rigs off the trail a dozen or so times with this thing: it’s great to have when you need it.

54D3FAFE-94C9-4F6B-9B09-137A040341EC.jpeg

Ironically, I’ve not used it even once on my rig.

Are the hard shackles necessary for the bumpers? Otherwise with four shackles I'd ditch them for weight.

Tire plugs? Inflator?

Gas...been a while since I've been to Mexico but gas treatment might be something to take... something to get water out of octane boost

I like canvas for my tarp.

Last time I over packed for a trip I blew out my rear shocks.

-Mac

Hard shackle is recommended if the attachment would otherwise tear up a soft shackle. I am down to one now since I am too lazy to grind on my front bumper or receiver shackle I use for the rear.

Plugs and air are not a bad idea.

What all are you taking for fluids now. This is one area where you can go overboard quickly.

For when you are running longer trips on the heavy side you might think about Timbren bumpstops https://timbren.com/i-30497556-active-off-road-bumpstops-for-jeep-jl-jt-jk-tj-front-kit.html#!year=2002||make=DODGE||model=RAM 2500||submodel=4WD

Reactions: psrivats
I’ve lined the back floor with 2 pieces of 3/4” plywood with friction tape for traction. I do bring a 6 ton bottle jack and misc. wood. Survival gear includes 8’x10’ HD silver tarp which has many uses. Para cord is great for backpacking but I bring 50’ of 1/4” nylon rope as I find it more useful. I can always take the strands apart if I need thinner cordage. My main concern is what items are needed now that a winch is added to the equation. The added weight of the extra stuff I bring on a trip to Baja is always a trade off. My personal and the TJs survival gear tends to add up. While in the 40 yrs of traveling Baja my only issue has been cutting a tire on my new to me YJ and finding out the spare was one size smaller. That was a “note to self moment”. On several occasions I’ve run into people who were unprepared and needed help. I do not want to be That Guy. We once found a guy walking about 250mi south walking with just his helmet. He was solo, wrecked his bike, was walking for 2 days with no food and little water. We gave him a ride back to our base in San Felipe and found him a ride back to the border.
I do appreciate your input. I enjoy the challenge of prepping for a trip to Baja almost as much aa the trip itself.

This might be a dumb suggestion, but if you haven't practiced with your new-to-you winch then I would certainly become accustomed to it prior to actually needing to use it. That includes all the gear and scenarios you're potentially going to encounter, e.g. rigging up the snatch block on a tree saver strap.

I imagine 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood would add a lot of weight. You mention going to Baja for years - is that what you normally bring in lieu of traction boards or did you just add that to your kit bc we recommended traction boards?

I trust the misc. wood includes a little section of 2x4 and/or 2x6 for the bottle jack.

What you've mentioned already for the winch sounds good: snatch block, soft shackles, tree saver strap. The 50' of 2" tow strap could likely be used as a winch extension if needed. It sounds like you're on the fence about a kinetic yanker; I would highly recommend one. The kinetic recovery ropes are very bulky whereas the ARB snatch strap is much more compact but theoretically has less life.

If you don't get a kinetic rope or snatch rope then I would add another smaller length of tow strap (10-12') to serve either as an extra tree saver (if you need it) or more likely an anchor to secure your rear end to a tree or rig behind you in case you're recovering somebody else's vehicle from in front of you. I have been in many situations in mud/sand where I was trying to recover someone and just pulling myself straight into them. Also, while I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't go any less than 8' for the tree saver strap. I have a 6' one and it's practically useless.

Reactions: bucky

I ran a round file through my bumper recovery tabs to take the edges down. And I have been using the same set of four soft shackles in them for several years without any specific care. While the holes aren't gently rounded over, I haven't seen any obvious wear on the soft shackles.

The only reason I’ve not gotten a kinetic rope is their inflated price but looking lately I see the prices going down and will probably get one before the trip. I just got 4 soft shackles from Wizard for $60 not too long ago one would cost you that much.
Not a fan of plastic traction boards. I’ve had the plywood setup in my YJ for years and find that they make a good table. I carry 2 hard shackles for the bumper and connecting straps. The weight of my recovery gear pales to the weight of my tools and fluids. I will be heading down solo on relatively good roads until I get to Gonzaga and meet up with my buddies. We will be running from the beach and into the mountains.

When I got the TJ last year I pulled the rope out, inspected it, hooked it to my YJ and pulled it to respool the rope. I have not put a decent load on it. I do not know what other maintenance needs to be done. When the PO installed the winch he ran the power cables through metal with no grommets I fixed that. I have no idea how old the winch is. My 2 other steel cable winches have only needed the weathered power cables replaced.Both are 20yrs or more old.

Reactions: RINC and RubiconRic
Also, while I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't go any less than 8' for the tree saver strap. I have a 6' one and it's practically useless.
It helps when we are out in the wilderness to try and not constrain our creativity to the little box we see in front of us. There are lots of places in JV where the boulder you need to use as an anchor would need a 30 foot "tree saver". That is a big bulky piece of kit to lug around and take up space. I've shortened the version below for effect to illustrate how to rig a tree saver to get around pretty large anchors.

The gray rope is obviously the winch line, the soft shackle can easily be a hook. Just pay attention to normal sound rigging practices, protect stuff from sharp edges and be careful.
DSC00795.JPG

I never thought about connecting to the line like that. My first inclination would be to connect both ends to the soft shackle. Thanks to you I now have 4 soft shackles to add to the equation. Hard to believe those light little things will give a steel shackle a run for its money.
My biggest problem is I now have an Unlimited and I will want to bring even more crap that I may or not need.

I never thought about connecting to the line like that. My first inclination would be to connect both ends to the soft shackle. Thanks to you I now have 4 soft shackles to add to the equation. Hard to believe those light little things will give a steel shackle a run for its money.
My biggest problem is I now have an Unlimited and I will want to bring even more crap that I may or not need.

Just because you have room for the kitchen sink does not mean you have to bring it.
Said by more than one TJ owner to justify a way overweight rig.

That is what sucks wheeling up here a lot of the time. You are trying to be prepared for bad things happening being so remote knowing full well that you are shooting yourself in the foot by decreasing your performance.

Reactions: bucky
Said by more than one TJ owner to justify a way overweight rig.

Within reason, I carry some spares not overboard though. Cam,crank sensors, belt ,tensioner, u joints, fuel pump, fluids and standard hardware stuff. If I am doing a longer trip I may bring more but leave it in the motorhome or back at condo. Mostly I want to be able to get off the trail and back somewhere I can fix it properly.