Recovery gear for winch equipped TJ Rubicon

I argue for instead of. I have never liked using paracord.

My favorite all purpose camping and Jeep rope for the last few years has been tarred bank line.

Ironclad Supply Tarred Bank Line – Heavy Duty 100% Nylon Twine for Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Bushcraft – Odorless, Mess-Free Tar Coating (#12 Twisted, 1/4 LB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081TM8MLF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 364904

Odd question but twisted vs braided in this type and regular rope? Does it really make a difference, and if so what?

Odd question but twisted vs braided in this type and regular rope? Does it really make a difference, and if so what?

Depends on the rope. Braided is nicer to use. The tarred bank line is available in both twisted and braided. The tar coating holds the twisted stands together fairly well.

I prefer braided because for a give size and material it is stronger. The upside to twisted rope is that it is easier to splice or make an eye.

The upside to twisted rope is that it is easier to splice or make an eye.
Have to disagree somewhat with a qualifier. If you are using something equivalent to what the winch lines are which is typically a 12 strand hollow braid, you can do an eye splice in a scant few minutes with little more than a barrel from a Bic Pen. I can do an eye splice in twisted, I don't know if that is a common skill folks know. Anyone can learn a buried tail eye splice in a few minutes, getting the over/under correct on twisted not so much. (don't forget the qualifier)

Reactions: bucky and jjvw
Have to disagree somewhat with a qualifier. If you are using something equivalent to what the winch lines are which is typically a 12 strand hollow braid, you can do an eye splice in a scant few minutes with little more than a barrel from a Bic Pen. I can do an eye splice in twisted, I don't know if that is a common skill folks know. Anyone can learn a buried tail eye splice in a few minutes, getting the over/under correct on twisted not so much. (don't forget the qualifier)

I agree with you, a hollow braided line is much easier especially if you do not taper the end. I use a piece of tv antenna witch works for large diameters. I was talking about a solid braid line like the picture below. I find that weaving a twisted line is easy once you know how to do it. Most guys were not Boy Scouts or in the Navy and do not have rope skills. It’s amazing the number of knots out there. I have several books on the subject but I’m still an amateur and have to reference them often.
The picture below is just for reference. I do melt the nylon rope ends to prevent fraying. I use wiping on larger rope but I mainly use 1/4” nylon or 5/8” truckers rope so melting works OK even though its not pretty.

CD3235BA-CF09-4C80-85D3-B23EAD35EE9A.jpeg

025E651F-2917-4291-BCDD-79F2620FB1E4.jpeg

EDD8000A-7020-4D5F-B5FF-07F91A58E415.jpeg

I agree with you, a hollow braided line is much easier especially if you do not taper the end. I use a piece of tv antenna witch works for large diameters. I was talking about a solid braid line like the picture below. I find that weaving a twisted line is easy once you know how to do it. Most guys were not Boy Scouts or in the Navy and do not have rope skills. It’s amazing the number of knots out there. I have several books on the subject but I’m still an amateur and have to reference them often.
The picture below is just for reference. I do melt the nylon rope ends to prevent fraying. I use wiping on larger rope but I mainly use 1/4” nylon or 5/8” truckers rope so melting works OK even though its not pretty.

View attachment 366138

View attachment 366139

View attachment 366140

I'm aware.

Reactions: bucky
I’m planning to take a trip this winter to Gonzaga Bay down in Baja to visit friends. . . .
I look forward to your suggestions.

I have been traveling in Baja California and Baja California Sur since the early 1960's. Although I now live in mainland Mexico, I still spend at least a month each year in Baja.

These are my thoughts on preparation/gear to carry for your trip to Gonzaga Bay:

General Vehicle Condition
Handle any deferred maintenance before you leave, oil and fluid changes up to date, all fluids topped off.
Inspect steering, suspension, brakes, etc.
All bolts tight, no leaks.
Fresh wiper blades, etc.

Tires
Baja is hard on tires. Be sure your tires are in good shape, not worn, out of balance, previously patched, etc.
Carry a full size spare plus a tire tube. You will probably never need the tube, but if you wreck two tires the tube may be your band-aid that gets you back to California without having to buy a mismatched tire in Mexico.
Carry tire deflators, a pressure gauge and a means to air up. (I use a Viair 400 series compressor.)
Tire Plug Kit (I use Safety Seal).
Valve stem repair kit (I carry a Colby emergency valve).
Tire changing tools/jack
Leather gloves
Full size shovel (not a folding trenching tool).

Recovery
Getting stuck in silt or sand is more likely than getting hung up on a rock. Bear in mind that you have to get your jeep back to California if you are tempted to engage in any technical rock crawling in Baja and that it is a long, expensive tow back to the border.

Carry a tow strap, kinetic rope and shackles (soft, hard or both) and be sure you know where all the attachments points are before you leave home.
Traction boards can be helpful but are bulky. Lengths of scrap carpet or asphalt shingles can serve the same purpose.

Tools
Basic hand tools - just the basics not an entire "mechanic's kit."
Common wrench and socket sizes
Crescent wrench
Screwdrivers
Pliers
Hammer
Knife
Flashlight(s)

Spare Parts
DNS (does not start) parts - crank and cam position sensors, extra coil pack and spark plug, etc.
Radiator repair kit (fiberglass mesh, JB weld, extra hose, hose tape, clamps, etc.)
Spare serpentine belt/engine belts
Assorted nuts, bolts, baling wire, electrical wire and connectors, duct tape, zip ties, fuses
U-joints
Glues and sealants - Superglue, JB Weld, Gorilla glue, etc.
Fluids - Don't go overboard. A quart of oil and filter, 1 quart transmission fluid, and maybe a quart of gear oil. You don't need coolant - water will work until you get home - your emergency water is for drinking and your cooling system.
Remember that your goal is to get back to pavement or to the next town, not to rebuild your jeep in the field - carry spares and tools appropriate for that purpose.
If you get stuck someplace in need of parts, don't forget that Amazon and Amazon.mx deliver to every city and town in Mexico.

Mapping
GPS and extra batteries
Paper map and compass.
Notebook, pen and pencil

Communications
Cellphone and extra battery/charging cord
CB, GMRS or ham radio (whatever your travel companions use)
Personal locator device such as Garmin Inreach
Spanish/English translator and/or paper dictionary. Although there are many gringos in Baja and many Mexicans in Baja speak a bit of English, you will be in Mexico and the language is Spanish. Attempts at Spanish, even if feeble, will be appreciated.

Hygiene
Toilet paper
Sunscreen
Personal care items

Safety
First Aid Kit (a real one, not just band aids)
Tylenol, Imodium, Pepto Bismol
Extra glasses/sunglasses

Shelter
tarp, rope, stakes, blanket, bungies

Survival
Extra water
Extra fuel
Emergency Food

Documents
Passport or Passport Card
FMM - Do not forget to pay for and have your Tourist FMM stamped at the INM desk at the border. Mexican customs will try to waive you through - it is your responsibility to ask for Immigration and obtain your FMM even if Customs tries to tell you it is not necessary. [See: https://www.mexperience.com/your-mexican-tourist-permit-fmm/]
Permission from lienholder (if any) to take vehicle to Mexico
Mexican liability Insurance (I use Baja Bound/Chubb)
Copies of passport, drivers license, etc. (NOT color copies - considered "counterfeit" or "forgeries" in Mexico, B&W only for copies of personal ID or government documents)
Copies of Vehicle Title and Registration

Money
Carry pesos. You can get a few at a cambio before you cross the border, but the cheapest and easiest way is at any bank ATM once in Mexico. However, always decline the ATM's offer of a conversion rate because your home bank's rate will always be better.

Resource in San Felipe:
If you get the chance, try to meet my friend Bruce Kobus, also known as "Baja Bruce," a Canadian jeeper who winters at Kiki's RV Park in San Felipe. Although Bruce's usual beachfront spot at Kiki's was decimated by the recent hurricane, he is usually there between the first of November and May and Kiki should know where Bruce is staying if not at Kiki's. Bruce is a good guy to know if you find yourself in trouble in or around San Felipe, and a good guy to know in general.

Espero que esta información le sea útil.

Diviértete y mantente seguro. 🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽

Last edited:
I love San Felipe. I’ve been staying at Pete’s Camp for 40 yrs.

¿Te has alojado en Pete's Camp durante 40 años? Your initial post suggested that you are a Baja newbie.

Ya deberías tener tu propia lista de "Baja Gear", ¿no crees? Gonzaga Bay is just a few hours down the road and not significantly different than the area where you already have years of experience.

Have fun on your trip.

Reactions: RubiconRic
¿Te has alojado en Pete's Camp durante 40 años? Your initial post suggested that you are a Baja newbie.

Ya deberías tener tu propia lista de "Baja Gear", ¿no crees? Gonzaga Bay is just a few hours down the road and not significantly different than the area where you already have years of experience.

Have fun on your trip.

I’ve beed using my 89 YJ on previous trips. With the new 05 TJ I wanted to get a fresh perspective on my needs. Mexico is a beautiful country both in its scenery and people. Always a great time to be had. Currently trying to get the wife to go on a trip to Mazatlan my favorite city.

I’ve beed using my 89 YJ on previous trips. With the new 05 TJ I wanted to get a fresh perspective on my needs. Mexico is a beautiful country both in its scenery and people. Always a great time to be had. Currently trying to get the wife to go on a trip to Mazatlan my favorite city.

You and your wife should explore farther south when you get the chance. I just returned from two weeks relaxing at Playa Troncones in Guerrero, population 699.

1665775033382.png

But THIS is my favorite city so far:

1665775424858.jpeg

Reactions: psrivats
I love the old colonial towns. Many trips to San Luis Potosi when I was young. Taking a Panama Canal cruise in Feb and have stops in Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco. Although just a few hours in port does not allow enough time to really see things. The wife is not as comfortable traveling to Mx as me but she always has a great time while there. We stopped in Acapulco on one of the last cruises that stoped there. We did everything the ship said not to do and had a memorial time. Its a shame how things have changed with the drug trade.

Highly under valued piece of gear that is. Don't get the crap 3-4 ounce versions from Harbor freight. Get a real vinyl tarp in 6 x 8 or so in 14 ounce or better. Last a lifetime, lots of uses, fold it lots of different ways to take up minimal space ranging from in the footwell behind the seats to very thin and covering the whole cargo floor.
Throw it down on mud and dirt to work under the rig, rig it up as a shade or to keep the rain and snow off, improvise a stretcher, lots of utility for the dollar spent. We've rigged them up on one side of the rig with rocks on the lower edge to keep the wind from blowing sand and dirt in our faces doing a repair.

https://www.tarpsnow.com/14-oz-vinyl-tarp-heavy-duty.html

I ordered one after reading your post here and that arrived today. It's excellent, much better quality than the crap you get from Walmart and such. This will really last me forever. Thanks for sharing that link Blaine.

Reactions: Mike_H
I ordered one after reading your post here and that arrived today. It's excellent, much better quality than the crap you get from Walmart and such. This will really last me forever. Thanks for sharing that link Blaine.

Hey, me, too! Mine arrived earlier this week. +1 to MrBlaine for, as usual, spot-on advice.

Reactions: psrivats