Recovery gear vs. security gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Lasson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The recent thread on essential recover gear has made me think about the difference between recovery and security gear. Quite a few of the items I thought about listing for recovery gear seem to be better classified as security gear. For example, I've started carrying a high capacity NOCO battery pack when I'm on my own. I carry both a first aid kit and a trauma kit at all times. The ARB tire repair kit seems more like a security item than a recovery item. Several posters listed a Garmin inReach as a recovery item but to me it seems more of a security item.

Is this a distinction with no difference or should we have two checklists?

What are your most important security items?

Reactions: reddvltj
I see your point but even hand tools are under the recovery category. A dual battery setup could be under security. Most Tuffy products fall under security as well. The Garmin inreach, when used to show your position is more comfort than security, when you dispatch someone to help you via inreach, it is recovery.

The two list you mentioned could be kept separate. The security list could contain first aid and fire suppression too.

JMHO

x2

I consider my tire repair as security, as I'll also always have a spare. For me the security stuff is for the off chance my recovering doesn't go so well.
I think you nailed what Grant was explaining. Security is the fall back or redundant items.

now I’m woke!! Jeez old sucks. I still like my SIG.

I think you nailed what Grant was explaining. Security is the fall back or redundant items.

now I’m woke!! Jeez old sucks. I still like my SIG.
If I could go back and do it over, I'd probably get a 226

• Love
Reactions: WSS
I gotta say it's always blown my mind people's need to carry a gun in their car lol Don't get me wrong I think it's awesome that you guys are able to do it, it's just always interesting to see the contrast when it comes to what people are concerned about/need to be concerned about. Where I'm from just no one has a need for a gun in their car or really even thinks about it unless they're a big gun nut.

But in regards to security gear, I always keep enough stuff that I could spend the night on the trail if I needed too. I do a lot of overnights and hiking in the backwoods so I just keep similar gear in my Jeep.
- First aid kit
- Portable water filter
- Small camping tarp
- Reflective tape
- Hatchet & a sharp Mora knife
- I have an old small binocular case I use to keep a few fire starting things in.
- Headlamp with a strobe setting
- Roll of paracord

I gotta say it's always blown my mind people's need to carry a gun in their car lol Don't get me wrong I think it's awesome that you guys are able to do it, it's just always interesting to see the contrast when it comes to what people are concerned about/need to be concerned about. Where I'm from just no one has a need for a gun in their car or really even thinks about it unless they're a big gun nut.

But in regards to security gear, I always keep enough stuff that I could spend the night on the trail if I needed too. I do a lot of overnights and hiking in the backwoods so I just keep similar gear in my Jeep.
- First aid kit
- Portable water filter
- Small camping tarp
- Reflective tape
- I have an old small binocular case I use to keep a few fire starting things in.
- Roll of paracord
I very rarely carry it with me, certainly not daily, but i get what you mean.

- First aid kit
- Portable water filter
- Small camping tarp
- Reflective tape
- Roll of paracord
In America, it is a right we exercise so we can keep it. Carrying is considered by many to be a obligation to keep peace. Notice in America where gun violence occurs. It is in cities that do not allow or encourage gun carry. Gun violence is perpetrated by cowards that know the victim will be unarmed.

What are your most important security items?

a Glock
Benchmade Adamas folder
LED flashlights and headlamp

I gotta say it's always blown my mind people's need to regurgitate this leftist drivel.

a Glock
Benchmade Adamas folder
LED flashlights and headlamp

I gotta say it's always blown my mind people's need to regurgitate this leftist drivel.
Most people that are not from the US, dont understand and have the same point of view. They've not had a taste of freedom.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Most people that are not from the US, dont understand and have the same point of view. They've not had a taste of freedom.
I understand that. They don't need to understand, though. This is our country, Constitution and BOR.

He's Canadian, I think it's just an outside observation.
A condescending observation that should have been kept to himself. We couldn't care less what our own leftist citizens think about our 2A rights let alone what other nation's citizens deem "necessary".

Last edited:
Mind if I stir the pot a little? Here's the question: for the gun = most important security item group, are you really saying that your guns are your favorite security gear?

Here's why I ask: I've been off roading more or less since high school (about 40 years ago). In that time, I haven't had a moment when I thought my next best action was to shoot something or someone (let's leave hunting trips out of this one). Your experiences may vary and my experiences have pretty much been limited to the intermountain west.

That's why I'd find your comments and experiences interesting. Is personal security a big issue when off roading in other parts of the country?

Reactions: TJim
Mind if I stir the pot a little? Here's the question: for the gun = most important security item group, are you really saying that your guns are your favorite security gear?
No, it's the most important.

Is personal security a big issue when off roading in other parts of the country?
What other kind of security is there? As I see it battery packs, first-aid/trauma kits, tire repair kits and comms are safety and recovery items not security items.

I understand that. They don't need to understand, though. This is our country, Constitution and BOR.

A condescending observation that should have been kept to himself. We couldn't care less what our own leftist citizens think about our 2A rights let alone what other nation's citizens deem "necessary".
Correct, he doesn’t need to be. He is not an American, doesn’t vote, so his opinion doesn’t hold weight other than it is his and that’s enough for me. He made a statement and wasn’t nasty about it. Then you went all Cancel Culture on him over the 2A and you live in California for Pete sakes. You have less rights than the average Canadian, relax and grab a tissue. They are down the hall and to the left Mr. California.

Status
Not open for further replies.