What do I need for recovery gear?

Regarding the reference to Hi Lift jacks in the Jeepers Jamboree "Suggestions for traversing the Rubicon Trail," ironically it was on the Rubicon Trail that I first saw a Hi Lift handle used as a sleeve for a bent tie rod that not only got my friend off the trail, it got him another 450 miles to his home.

Still, I agree with @pagrey that the Jeepers Jamboree organizers should know better than to suggest that one might need a Hi Lift for changing a tire. The factory jack or an ordinary bottle jack are far more appropriate for that job.

A HiLift jack has it's uses as well as limitations. Knowing the difference is the key.

thoughts on using a hoist ring for a recovery point (properly sized of course) - rotates 360 deg against the mounting surface and 180 deg the other way, mounted with big fat grade 8 washer inside the bumperView attachment 107727

A hoist ring is the cat's ass. We used hoist rings quite a bit in the nuclear industry with excellent results. They were a stock coded item in our store room and we had an engineering spec. for attaching to embeds in concrete ceilings, structural steel, etc.. First time I've seen one used as a recovery point on a Jeep but a damned fine choice.

A soft shackle is a recovery point.
I have a tube bumper with no recovery points. Had it when I bought the Jeep and I kinda like the way it looks... where would I put the soft shackle to act as a recovery point? around where the frame meets the bumper??

I have a tube bumper with no recovery points. Had it when I bought the Jeep and I kinda like the way it looks... where would I put the soft shackle to act as a recovery point? around where the frame meets the bumper??

Put it where the soft shackle won't rip off the bumper. An attachment is only as good as the thing it is attached to.

Reactions: H_Nunez
When the BC Forestry Service banned the farmer jack to reduce WCB claims, I parked mine in the garage. It is amazing how many companies have thrown out all thier hi lift jacks.

What size would that be to be safe?
I am not near my Jeep right now but I seem to remember that the safe "working" load was 5000 lbs with a 5 to 1 safety factor to failure. Much less worry about side loading because of the multi axis rotating design