Recovery hook hardware requirements?

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys. Looking to add recovery hooks to my front bumper, and plan to purchase the CURT branded ones that are available on amazon for about ten bucks per.

I'm wondering - can I use my factory TORX bolts or will I want to upgrade to grade 8 hardware? Or maybe the factory bolts are too short for the added .75" or so from the hook? Hell, for all I know the factory bolts ARE grade 8 rated. But I don't know.

P.S. I assume it's an easy install? Just take a peek under there, find the nuts, take everything apart and put it back together with the hooks and new hardware? Do I need to support to bumper or can I just do one side then the other?

Thanks in advance.

If the factory bolts are long enough they are strong enough. Just measure and be sure you have enough length. Grade 5 will work too.

Edit: I think a single grade 5 bolt is almost twice the strength of the curt hook

Last edited:
If the factory bolts are long enough they are strong enough. Just measure and be sure you have enough length. Grade 5 will work too.

Edit: I think a single grade 5 bolt is almost twice the strength of the curt hook

Wow, love to hear that. Why then, I wonder, is it so common to see grade 8 recommended? I guess overkill can't hurt if you're already buying?

. . . Why then, I wonder, is it so common to see grade 8 recommended? I guess overkill can't hurt if you're already buying?

Your answer is in the sentence that follows your question. Some people automatically assume that Grade 8 must be "better" than grade 5 without understanding why that might or might not be the case for a particular application.

These links will fuel the debate:

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/killing-the-myth-of-the-grade-5-bolt/
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/which-is-stronger-grade-8-or-grade-5-bolts.28965/

Bumping for a followup question.

Now, mind you, I'm almost positive I know the answer, but just want to double-check because I'd hate to find out the hard way I was wrong.

I ordered two Curt recovery hooks to mount on the front (stock) bumper. I have OEM bumper impact guards and want to keep them, but they sit a CM or so above the height of the bumper and so prevent the hooks from seating properly. Is there any reason why I couldn't just use longer bolts and a couple washer stacks to help the hooks clear that height? Integrity-wise?

It probably isn't the optimum fix, but using washers as leveling spacers for tow hooks has been a common practice for many years.

I'm not sure that I would use washers to level out a 1 cm (0.39") difference because it seems like that would take a stack of washers rather than just 1 or 2, but that is primarily because I am having difficulty visualizing your actual situation.

Last edited: