Recovery hooks for bumper

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I went to the garage and looked through hubby's stash and found some hooks for my front bumper. Thing is, I think they are kind of big. LOL I set them on the bumper and the front end went down. Just kidding, but they are rated for 10000 lbs. LOL Think I should keep looking for smaller ones? :D

I also found a shackle, at least I think that is what the thing in the first pic is called. LOL No, don't plan on using that one, think it is kind of extreme. :D

I took the hooks out and placed them on the bumper. I kind of like the looks of them put on crooked along the lines of the end of the bumper. What do you think, crooked or straight?

nAarFYyYTn2OCTdHaJvAEw.jpg

59GG2xIlT+i3y+Iv%+fgUg.jpg

Iei7r%OYTO6M1adtSOgCFA.jpg

YDfzfFb2R%6buqtk4wwS9w.jpg

You would want to move them further towards the center at the frame. See those two large screws? That’s where they need to be. The holes in your hook may be too large of a diameter for the factory bolts. May be a good idea to find some originals.

You would want to move them further towards the center at the frame. See those two large screws? That’s where they need to be. The holes in your hook may be too large of a diameter for the factory bolts. May be a good idea to find some originals.

Yah, now that you said that, it makes since. It would just bend the bumper if I placed them on the end. Well, in that case, I may have to just wait till we get the bull bar put on first. I may not be able to run the hooks with it on there.

Those are normal, standard hook. I ran them for 7 years. 10K is perfect.

Never thought of mounting them further back. I will have to investigate further, and also get the bull bar on and see how I want to do it. I'm not even sure I will actually use the current bull bar. I bought it for my Liberty, and removed it before I traded it in. Not sure if it will look good on the Wrangler. :D

Never thought of mounting them further back. I will have to investigate further, and also get the bull bar on and see how I want to do it. I'm not even sure I will actually use the current bull bar. I bought it for my Liberty, and removed it before I traded it in. Not sure if it will look good on the Wrangler. :D

They aren’t further back. The way the bumper I had mounts makes them look further back. But they are bolted to the frame with the 2 bolts mentioned above. Those are your only option unless you get a different bumper with built in D-Ring tabs.
Like this.
e8f8316c21eab3c7ed55a495380b8826.jpg

You may need longer bolts, depending upon whether some were already on and then removed. Make sure to get grade 8.

Reactions: KimsJeep
They aren’t further back. The way the bumper I had mounts makes them look further back. But they are bolted to the frame with the 2 bolts mentioned above. Those are your only option unless you get a different bumper with built in D-Ring tabs.
Like this.

Yah, took a second look to see your bumper was different. LOL For now, I am trying to just add things to the current bumper. Need to keep my priorities in order on things to buy for the Jeep. :D

Those things need to be mounted between the bumper and the bolts that hold it on to the frame rail.

Otherwise if you try to use them attached to that thin steel stock bumper, I'm pretty sure it will rip it right off.

I've never tried that before, but that's what my gut tells me.

Here is the bull bar I am going to try to put on. I know it is not made for actually doing anything, but I liked the looks of it. Just don't know if I will like it on the TJ. Looked great on the Liberty. LOL

l6GgEWfrQQeNXYozChiIPQ.jpg

Those things need to be mounted between the bumper and the bolts that hold it on to the frame rail.

Otherwise if you try to use them attached to that thin steel stock bumper, I'm pretty sure it will rip it right off.

I've never tried that before, but that's what my gut tells me.

Yah, I will attach them to the bumper frame bolts. :D

Reactions: Chris
If you end up needing longer bolts. Make sure you get grade 8 bolts.

Will do. Thanks for that info. Heck, since it may be a while before I can get hubby's help with the bar, I may go ahead and install the hooks for now. :D The bolts that hold the bumper on are the kind that have a nut welded to inside the frame right? I'm hoping it won't be too hard to get them off. I will take one off and go to my local hardware store and get longer ones. Grade 8. :D

Yes. They have a welded nut inside the frame. The bolt is. Torx 55

Thanks for the size. That is another thing I need to do, go buy some Torx. LOL We have some but not in all sizes. I discovered there are a lot of Torx style bolts on the Jeep.

Reactions: TJ_2000
Thanks for the size. That is another thing I need to do, go buy some Torx. LOL We have some but not in all sizes. I discovered there are a lot of Torx style bolts on the Jeep.

Yes there are!! Unfortunately! They are the worst bolt head ever.

Reactions: Flivver250
Another thought. If your bull bar doesn’t work. I would pick up a bumper with a small stinger.
Something like this.
2d46e0b5282de98d026a1b59be15b190.jpg

Reactions: KimsJeep