Recovery rope vs recovery strap

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Is there a consensus on what seems to work better, or is more convenient between something like the bubba rope or a recovery strap? Used for kinetic recovery.

What are the differences between a recovery strap and a kinetic rope? Broadly speaking, there are ropes and straps that will stretch and others that have less stretch.

Reactions: StG58
I like the strap more for storage. It rolls up nice, I think they are stiffer too, less likely to knot or kink. I cannot think of any advantage to the rope style.

But I have never even touched the rope style.

Interesting...

I have, and have used, a tow strap. Not a lot of stretch there. Pulled a full sized Chevy pickup out of a snow bank this weekend, and it got me to thinking about my tow strap. I was curious about the stretchy recovery ropes / straps. The pickup popped right out, but wondered if there was a better way. Something with possibly less shock load, if that matters. Also, how much less shock loading would there be?

After buying a kinetic recovery rope a few years ago, I'll never use a strap for snatch recoveries again. This is the one that I have 7/8" Kinetic Recovery Rope, and it stretches up to 30%. What that means is that when the rope comes taut, there's no jarring snap, just a smooth pull. The 30% stretch also stores energy, which helps pull the stuck vehicle out.

Reactions: Serbonze and StG58
With kinetic recovery ropes, some slack can be left in the line before the pulling vehicle starts the recovery, allowing it to gain much more momentum and therefore gaining a much higher pulling force. Since the kinetic recovery rope excels in absorbing shock, it will simply stretch under tension and then transfer all the energy gained from the pulling vehicle to the stuck vehicle.

Reactions: strumble8 and StG58
After buying a kinetic recovery rope a few years ago, I'll never use a strap for snatch recoveries again. This is the one that I have 7/8" Kinetic Recovery Rope, and it stretches up to 30%. What that means is that when the rope comes taut, there's no jarring snap, just a smooth pull. The 30% stretch also stores energy, which helps pull the stuck vehicle out.
Went looking for reviews on kinetic straps and ropes. Discovered that most straps get about 20% or less elongation. Interesting that this rope goes 30%. Learned a couple of other things as well. Water, getting them wet, reduces max strength. The stitching on the eyes fails on a number of the cheaper straps. Hmmm.

Oh, and size matters. Too big a strap or too small a strap makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
They really are built for specific capacities. Using a light one on a dually diesel might be dangerous. Using one designed for a diesel dually on a Sumari might launch it..... or break it in two.

It's looking like rope is the clear winner for my uses. Marlow ropes: https://www.marlowropes.com/product/rebel-kerr

Rebel KERR

Or @derekmac's ASR: http://www.asroffroad.com/7-8-kinetic-recovery-rope/

About the same price point and specs.

The ASR is more readily available.

It's looking like rope is the clear winner for my uses. Marlow ropes: https://www.marlowropes.com/product/rebel-kerr

View attachment 81898
Rebel KERR

Or @derekmac's ASR: http://www.asroffroad.com/7-8-kinetic-recovery-rope/
View attachment 81899
About the same price point and specs.

The ASR is more readily available.
I just checked, and I bought mine in March 2014, and it's still going strong. I think I've only washed it once, but I do let it dry out if it gets wet.

I just checked, and I bought mine in March 2014, and it's still going strong. I think I've only washed it once, but I do let it dry out if it gets wet.
$129 for the 30' ASR, available locally, good kit... It's a tough choice. I have history with Marlow from my sailing days. They make a very high quality product. Good company to work with. But, ASR looks to be it. Thanks for the tip, derekmac!

Wet is a thing around here, lol, so we'll see.

In the old days it was simple - straps with loops, no hooks. There were no kinetic ropes.

The current thinking seems to be kinetic rope for recovery and strap for towing. I carry one of each plus a shorter tree strap.
Has nothing to do with "current thinking", it has to do with understanding how each works and using them appropriately. There are both recovery ropes and straps and tow ropes and straps. All of it is based purely on whether you have a stretchable material in the rope or strap. I've used both of each many times and prefer given a choice, a smallish 3/4" kinetic rope for snatch recoveries. For anchoring around rocks, I prefer a rock sling or lifting sling. I use big lifting slings that are out of date for anchoring. Cheap, very strong, don't stretch.

I've also used a lot of kinetic straps. I prefer a longer one to get the same stretch that a rope has.