Red Dog's Revival Thread

Red Dog

88M(30)
Supporting Member
Not really sure why or how to start this. I miss blogging and sharing with members of various forums I've been a member of. Let's just go with that.

Also please note that as of this moment I'm typing this at work during a very slow time period so pics will be posted sometime the next five days. After all, we all know This thread is worthless without pics and/or "pics or it didn't happen" ;)

A bit of background. The past four years have been a struggle for me at times. Nothing too bad in the grand scheme of things as I know first hand there are people everywhere that had it worse than I did. I'm not complaining and am actually thankful for the situation and the lessons I learned. Over all from around September 2104 until just this past December (2018) I was a bit lost in Life. I voluntarily left an organization that I'd been part of for literally half my life and at the time didn't realize just how crucial that organization was to how I defined who I am/was. Things are better now.

During those four years I really let me TJ go down hill. If some of my friends from back then could see her now I'd be extremely embarrassed. I know/knew better, but at the time just didn't do anything about it. Fortunately that's changed now. So, I decided I try a build thread to document and share where things with my TJ are now, where they've been (at least a little bit), and where I have ideas for where to go. I'm hesitant to use the word "plan" as it always seems Mr. Murphy delights in de-railing any plans I may make. So now I just kick around ideas, adapt to Murphy, and normally over-come... normally.

Let's get started, shall we?

14January2019

I have always loved my TJ. Some have said I'm obsessed. They don't Jeep so... yeah.

Where things were when I started last weekend:

Front bumper missing the milk jug and is actually dented inward on the passenger side. Ironically, I was hit by a news vehicle by a reporter in a hurry to get to an accident to do a live report from. That didn't happen. What did happen was the station's Equinox suffered over $1,500 in damage vs about $120 or so to my TJ. Goofy boss gave me grief that as bad as the Equinox looked my TJ must be in pieces. He shut up quick when he saw how little damage was on the Jeep.

Fenders need replacing due to rust. As in if I stand over them and look down I can see the tops of my tires in some places. I've always said "Tax return time" but then never did anything about it. This is the absolute most embarrassing thing so far.

Wheels starting to show rust/possible pitting. Need to find a good all-around set and get them installed. Tires are still usable but wouldn't hurt to replace them too. Since I tend to be on-road more than off I'm thinking of going back to a street/pavement tread but I'm not 100% sure on this anymore and require more research.

Third brake light needs a riser. I actually already have one, just never installed it. Definitely on the To-Do list for this Spring.

Head lights and brights don't work. I won't say how long this issue was present other than someone watches out for me as far as law enforcement is concerned. Also at least I had working fog lights and wasn't out at night for more than 10 minutes or so in town.

Stubby radio antenna is lacking. I installed this a long time ago as I didn't like the looks of the OEM one. Most times I wasn't driving enough to warrant a radio or I used my iPod so this wasn't a priority.

Center console arm rest pad cover is annoying. Always sliding around and starting to turn color where I usually rest my elbow on it. Also the tumbler/lock/latch has always been a PITA to get depressed and opened. Forums suggest a couple of fixes but I discovered its a metal one so still looking into it.

Rear seat. Nothing wrong with it per se, but now that the kids are grown I haven't used it in almost a full year. Granddaughter will need it at some point, but for now it is just kind of there.

Bestop Insta-trunk. I like it, but thinking if I remove the rear seat I may save up for one of the Tuffy Security Decks. Not sure on this one.

Where things are today:

Replaced the light and multi-switches. Everything works but driver side head light is orange-brown. From what I have found online so far it looks like next nice weather day I need to check the ground and the connector plug. Hopefully I won't have to splice/re-wire anything as I still need practice in that area.

May have found an OEM bumper with the center mount for the license plate. Unfortunately Iowa requires a front plate or this wouldn't be an issue. Also has the slanted end caps. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Actually purchased a set of the JEEP logo coasters/cup holder bottoms. Didn't need to trim them and my coffee mug likes them.

Purchased and installed a Teraflex antenna mount above my passenger tail light and a Firestik CB-style AM/FM antenna. So far better reception than the OEM on front had. Was reminded the hard way to measure instead of guesstimate lenghts as 9 ft was just shy of what I needed. Proper length of coax is scheduled to be here Thursday so my OCD can relax about a cable running from under my passenger seat straight to the glove box.

Cleaned the poor TJ out. Removed way too much trash and spare change ($2.83), did a couple of quick runs over the interior of the windows and dash before the cleaning spray started to freeze. Not perfect but a LOT better than it was.

Topped off fluids under the hood and got tires back to proper pressure.

Everything else is still waiting for either warmer weather or access to a garage with good lighting and somewhat heated.

Where I'd like to go:

Thanks to members of the forum my confusion about doors has been cleared up and I have feelers out for full doors. I'm lucky enough to know two different guys that do paint work so I'm not confined to any specific color. After bouncing an idea off one of the graphic designers I work with I think I'm going to have the full doors painted red on the lower portions with black on the upper area to match the look of my half doors with fabric uppers.

Have feelers out for replacement fenders and looking into getting the pocket style flares that are only as wide as the stock OEM ones were. I like the style but miss the more aggressive look of the narrower flares. Had they been an option at the time I would have gone with them to begin with. Will get them painted black to match my current ones.

Co-worker who works full time at an auto parts delivery company is always letting me know what types of wheels they have in stock along with if he sees any good condition Jeep wheels at some of the salvage yards he delivers to. Hoping by end of summer to have at least new wheels if not new wheels and tires.

Wednesday I have a center console arm rest pad showing up. It is not the Rugged Ridge one but close to it. When I was checking reviews I noticed the majority of them were pet owners that mentioned the pad holds up well to dogs and is pet friendly.

Finally get around to installing the MOLLE tailgate panel I purchased years ago.

Acquire a Jeep Dog. I will name him Watson so I can quote Bell often. I'd like a husky/shepherd mix. Better half says we need a mini. I can roll with that.

Road trips. I need to go on more road trips or at least get 30+ miles away from town. Too many places in Iowa I still need to explore and share.

So that's it for the first post in this thread. Pics by the weekend.

Last edited:
Dug through the archives on my old hard drives and came across pics I've taken while making changes to the TJ since I bought it "stock" according to the PO... he lied. Some changes have stayed, some have gone away.

New Fender Flares 3.jpg

dash tray.jpg

mirrors.jpg

me n my ipod.jpg

grab bar wrap.jpg

radio.jpg

entry guards.jpg

door pulls.jpg

backend.jpg

fuel cover.jpg

hood bumpers n stuff.jpg

light bar.jpg

hood latches.jpg

16January2019

Today my center console arm rest cover arrived. Bought a tire tread patterned (kind of) one on Amazon. Rugged Ridge makes a similar one with a tread pattern more consistent with my floor mats and shifter knobs but I decided not to go with it. It was hard plastic and the RR logo was just waaaaaay too big. I don't like giant logos on stuff.

The one I ended up going with is by Boomerang Auto Accessories. Sits a little bit higher, no logo, and is a softer/more flexible material. Amazon also had a large number (to me) of positive reviews of the Boomerang with multiple sellers. One of the more consistent comments that caught my eye was references that is "pet friendly". Between my long time plan to get a Jeep dog at some point and the better half wanting to get a pup again sooner than later I figured might as well start considering it as a factor in looking at interior changes ahead of time to be ready if/when a four legged friend starts riding along.

Wanted to install it today (simple job with 3-M double sided foam tape) but today's low temps factored into having to wait for a warmer day/location.

Looking forward to Friday and my coax radio cable to arrive. If things go well might be able to install and route it this weekend.

19January2019

Memo to self:

First priority

-Find and correct cause of headlight/high beams not working issue.
-Route antennae coax under roll bar cover, along bottom of tub under door, up to behind glove box.
-Resist urge to order new tail light covers.

Secondary priority

-Fenders, aluminum rims

Tertiary priority

-Full doors

Miscellaneous - USB charger rocker switch/panel? Carhart seat covers? Air traffic control tower module?

20January2019

Today I attempted to fix my headlight issue... again. Suspected a faulty ground with the driver side light. Ground wire itself looked fine, where it bolted to the body looked OK (didn't remove to check... not good trouble shooting on my part). Then I unplugged the wires going into the headlight socket and found this:

2019012095191747.jpg

I think I may have found at least one source of my frustrations.

Went to O'Reillys and picked up a new connector. IDK how to tell if these types of things are quality or not so I went with a set that looked heavier duty than the factory one and was labeled as being specifically for the H4 55/65W halogen bulbs I use. About an hour later I had removed the old connector and had the new one soldered in and had lights again. Yeah me!!!

That lasted all of about 10 minutes. Now I am sans passenger head light and after consulting with my brother-in-law Danno (the ASE mechanic) he confirmed I still had a short, relays behind the glove box were still good, and the short most likely burnt out something inside the multiswitch. Looks like I will be buying yet another replacement multiswitch... after I get the electrical issue(s) corrected. Depending on how things go I am considering seeing if I can purchase/install an entirely new wiring harness for the headlights. Not sure yet though.

So here's to the nice warm 60* F, decently lit, free to use after 5pm garage/storage room at work. Not only was I able to defrost/snow the TJ, but was able to install at least a couple little things (new center arm rest, new coax running between the radio and rear mounted antenna)... and I only needed one band-aid by the time the day was done :cool:

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
22January2019

Re-hung my lucky surfboard air freshener. Yes, that will be important down the road.

After watching a stock headlight upgrade video on YouTube last night I spend most of the morning looking into the K4 Suspension wiring harness kit and trying to find something similar locally. Sometimes living in small town Iowa is not the best for locating/purchasing parts... whether Jeep or other-wise. Repeatedly watched K4's install video, watched it some more, watched it again while taking notes, watched it one last time just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Would like to have my headlights operational again before Saturday evening (date night) and wasn't sure what speed the Free Shipping was so gave K4 a call. I've called a LOT of businesses over the years and it never ceases to amaze me how much better customer service the smaller places have than the bigger ones. After explaining my light situation, how I thought their harness kit would resolve my light issue, getting confirmation that it should, and then expressing my desire to have the harness kit installed by Saturday night, the K4 rep very patiently and helpfully looked into shipping times for me, gave me the bad news that express shipping would cost more than the kit itself (I didn't mind), but reassured me pending natural disaster I should have the kit in Friday, Saturday afternoon at the latest. My mind at peace I went ahead and ordered the harness kit. Situations like this I'm not the most patient of people.

Plan for tomorrow after work is put the TJ back in the garage, replace the fried and melted passenger side headlight plug (makes the damaged driver side one look almost new) so it will be ready for when the harness kit arrives. After that shortening the 18' coax cable for the radio antenna down to bridge the gap between the 9' Procomm and the antenna. Went to use the 18' the other night and the Firestik to Motorola adapter is about 1/8" too wide to connect with the connection coming from the radio. Live, learn, get Luv's. :BangHead:

Monday night I contacted a seller on Craigslist to see if he'd take two payments for the Canyon rims and tires (I just want the rims) he has for sale. Not sure how many other people may have contacted him about them but he agreed to my suggestion. Score :cool:

Now the important stuff on my list to find before Spring is down to fenders. Considering offering my half doors and slider door tops up to trade for full doors. Looking back over the years, I've only taken the sliders off for a couple hours in the past 4 years. Plus I actually like the look of full doors with windows down, rear windows off, top either off or the sunrider front portion flipped back. I could easily live without half doors... hope that's not blasphemy.

Looking forward to Thursday when whether permitting my new tail light covers will be here (need to celebrate fixing the headlights). Palm tree, moon/sun, and a Wrangler. I'm developing a love/hate of Amazon.

Remember the lucky surfboard air freshener I said would be important down the road? This is why:

Ordered a K4 Suspension headlight upgrade kit on Tuesday. Couldn't find what delivery service they use and needed it installed by Saturday afternoon. Called them and was assured it would be here on time.

It arrived by 10am this morning. That's usually a sign the mail man is up to something sketchy, but this time it was a legit delivery notification. Lucky incidence #1.

Just for peace of mind ordered a new multiswitch from O'Reillys with in-store pick up. While there picked up a small reel of 12 gauge wire in case the battery connection line for the upgrade kit couldn't reach on the TJ. Was in and out of the store in under five minutes. Lucky incidence #2.

Got back to work, TJ had been sitting in the garage defrosting. Removed the old passenger side headlight plug and installed the remaining one from the kit from last weekend. Found a potential issue as shown in the photos:

2019012495185054.jpg

2019012495185059.jpg

That damage was all caused within a five or so minute window back on Sunday night while I had tested the functionality of my headlights after replacing the driver side plug.

Once the headlight plug was replaced, set the K4 kit out to make sure everything would reach their intended destinations and be properly accessible. Plugged the headlights into the kit, then the kit into the factory harness. At this point I had my buddy have the battery connection wire touch the positive terminal while I turned the lights.

Success!

Went through all the combinations of headlight/fog/hi/low/hazards/turns repeatedly without any issues. Decided things were going to work as advertised and proceeded to continue with the installation of the kit. Less than an hour later things were buttoned up and ready to go. Lucky incidence #3.

Since there was still some time before having to call it a night I re-installed my original 9' PL259 to Motorola coax cable, routed it along the tub to the back of the Jeep. Then starting at the antenna routed my 18' cable, over lapped them 6", cut the 18', unplugged it from the antenna, and my buddy spliced a new male connector to it. Hooked up a double female adapter and plugged the two cables together. Even in the garage next to a giant transmitter tower I was able to get a good, strong, clean signal from my favorite radio station over 120 miles away. Lucky incidence #4. Factory antenna I would lose the station if I took the Jeep indoors. I'm happy :)

Was going to install new tail light covers from Amazon that arrived today but encountered an issue with them. Going to contact the seller later to give them a chance to make things right (I really like that covers and design). If they can't/won't its all good because I can rig something up to still use them, but I'd prefer to not to have to go that route if possible.

Now that the TJ is G2G again, here's hoping there's a date night this weekend (lucky incidence #5 ;) )

Just read your thread. And I can identify with alot your saying. I too am coming off a several year layoff. Let's say. Three back surgeries and to much business going on has had me trapped in a chair or indoors for far to long. Got my TJ a couple months ago. And plan to get back to working on a car. Up until several years ago. I always had a car I was working on. It afforded me a way out of the office chair. And back into some active activity.

I was very interested to hear about your antenna. I was looking for an AM/FM antenna that would work with CB and also pull in stations better. Just as a second line of information retrieval. Should my scanners or other radios fail to bring in information. I don't like mounting anything of value permanently into my Jeep. As it will get ripped off for sure. So I have a collection of handhelds for the job mostly. That can be easily removed from the Jeep. I have a faceplate removable head unit by Kenwood. Great stereo. But I might mount a cheap CB as well. Or some sort of handheld unit that could be mounted to the dash and connected to an external antenna. It's been so long since I looked at CB's. I have no idea what a handheld unit has that a dash mounted one does not.

I'm also doing the flare thing. Hoping I can have my garage shop reset up soon. So I can pull it in and keep it overnight for longer project times. One is the flares. The other is the interior. My TJ was used in the sun alot. Unfortunately. So I'm repainting just about everything - roll bar covers, interior windshield trim, door panels, seat belt covers (basically all the little plastic pieces in the interior. Then replacing my seats, adding sound deadener and new carpet. Only other interior issue I have is my backseat. It's a cream colored Bestop. Nice seat. But matches nothing in this all black/charcoal Jeep. I may just remove it, trade it or try to fabric dye it black. My dog is about the only thing that's going to see it's use.

But this is all based on money permitting. This isn't my first priority at this stage in my life. My son just started college. So the Jeep fund has it's limitations. Basically I just want to get it back up to semi perfect stock condition. And then maybe add a small lift, new rims and tires and tube bumpers.

Good that your detailing your build. :)

Thanks for the reply Moab! Sounds like you know what all I'm reviving :cool:

Not to up on current models of CB's and all that goes with them. If I recall right, CB World/We Are CB's has an antenna base that splits to run one line to the AM/FM and once to the CB unit itself. Not sure on civilian equipment, but I know on military radios they make a vehicle mount/amplifier combination unit that bumps the power on the hand held units. Pretty much just drop the hand held into the slot on the amp and attach a cord. The amp uses the power source and antenna mounted to the vehicle, while still (I think) keeping the hand held unit's antenna mounted. I could be wrong though, its been around 10 years since I got to use those. Pretty sure there's members here that are more up to date on CB-related matters. I will probably ask the guys at my work about something like that. Between the two engineers we have there's around 80+ years experience with radio/electronics/transmitter technology going way back to the pre-transistor vacuum tubes and computers that used punch cards.

I wish I had a garage at my house. Maybe someday. As far as the flares, take your time. I was stupid and tried getting them all swapped out in an afternoon. Couple of places if you look you can see where I should of gone slower. Fortunately this summer I'm either going to swap the current ones with narrower ones in the same style or go back to OEM flares. If I go the OEM route I want to have them painted black and clear coat with automotive paint to help resist fading. The current ones have that and I absolutely love it.

BTW, if your dash mounted (above the glove box) passenger grab bar is black and you ever want to get rid of it drop me a line. Just a little/frivolous thing to most but it irritates me most days the lack of balance between the darker/black dash pieces on the driver side and entirely grey ones on the passenger. May go with automotive vinyl paint, but if I could find an actual OEM black one that fits a '97 I'd prefer that route.

Ya. I've read horror stories about taking the flares off. (At least it is for a guy with 3 back surgeries. Bending up behind there when the fittings come loose and the bolt won't come out.) That's why I want my garage open again. Before I attempt it. If I need more time I have it then. Just close the garage and wait for tomorrow.

I'm going to strip, use adhesion promoter, and rustoleum bed coating paint on the flares. So that if it ever needs touched up. I can do that easily. I tried using Forever Black like on my other vehicles. But it would not soak into the flare plastic for some reason. SO I'm going to do alot of prep before I spray them.

On my interior plastic. It's all dk slate. SO I'm using SEM Chrysler dk slate grey. HAve a test can to try out now. Hopefully it matches. As my dash is ok. But my door panels are grey from sun. Might hit my center console too. I don't want to do the entire thing. So hopefully I can find a good match. And i too would like to upgrade to full doors eventually. Only thing holding me back is cost at this point. You're looking at $1200-$1500 shipped at this point. Unless I can find a set on CL. But I'm hoping to find a black set I don't have to have redone. Did your paint guy give you an estimate on how much to redo full doors?

Can't decide whether to do the interior all at once or in pieces. I have these new seats from an 03-06 that I really want to put in. With big boy brackets. The stock seats have my 6'3" frame crammed to the front. Not comfortable at all. If I had to do a long trip right now. I think I would pass until I could complete this task. But my original plan was to put those in once the tub is cleaned out, sound deadener and carpet laid down. And I was going to paint all my interior stuff that needed it too. But that could put me down for a week or more. And this is now my DD. So IDK (i don't know). I may just do it in stages. Maybe just do the sound deadener and seats. And replace the carpet later. I think with these new carpet sets you're not obliged to take out the seats. Or so the patterns look that way. But maybe it's more hassle to put the carpet back in twice.

So far haven't looked into quotes for painting the doors yet. At the moment I have to wait until March before I can look into purchasing any. Mainly to keep the better half happy... which in turn helps ensure my life in general is happy. Also not sure if I want to do the split color or just stick with a solid color. If Craigslist keeps being a let down I'm going to swallow my pride and ask the better half's dad to keep an eye out at his salvage yard. Depending on how things go may do that for fenders as well.

01February2019

While going through all my saved internet short cuts I discovered the MOLLE tailgate panel I have on my wish list increased in price. So I went ahead and ordered it. Or rather I attempted to order it. Long story short I ended up purchasing directing from the manufacturer rather than eBay and saved some money. Should be here in about a week/week and a half.

MOLLE pouch I plan to use for storing jumper cables is scheduled to arrive today along with new red first aid pouch (velcro tear-away from the MOLLE backing). Until the MOLLE panel arrives will keep things in the trunk, possibly have the first aid kit velcro'd to the back to of the center console.

Should be installing the tail light covers later today at work as I should have a lot of down time. Also made a down payment on a set of Canyon rims today, will pick them up in about two weeks depending on if there ends up being any plans for the holiday.

Was really happy didn't experience any issues getting the Jeep started this week during the Artic-type weather. Twenty minutes seems to be around the magic length of time to get things loosened up, followed by about 5 minutes with the defrost/heater running to have a nice toasty interior when I got in.

So, no huge progress this week but at least some progress... and that's all that matters.

03February2019

Is it possible to order too many parts at once?

Since Thursday I have purchased a MOLLE tailgate panel (ETA Tuesday), a rocker style USB port (was testing if my debit card was having issues, ETA Monday), two tail light lens covers (old school to look better with the guards/covers I installed yesterday, ETA Monday), and a grab bar that goes above the glove box (black, to balance the coloring on the dash... reasons, ETA Monday). I'm almost on a first name basis with the downtown FedEx driver (why can't more places ship UPS? Their downtown driver is quite pretty in an 88M sort of way).

Wasn't expecting to order so much this weekend, but if I have to work OT as often as I have been I figure I might as well enjoy the paycheck. Having access to a small, yet heated and decently lit garage after hours at work helps too. The more I look over my to-do list the more I'm identifying things that I could realistically take care of before Spring and the warmer outside temps. Definitely need to sit down and look at adjusting my estimated time line a bit.

MOLLE pouches seem to be working as intended so far. Jumper cables fit inside the gas mask pouch with room to spare. The new first aid pouch isn't an exact 1:1 match with my old one, but was able to get everything to fit with only a few minor changes to locations on a couple items. Over all I'm happy I went with an easier to identify red instead of the black with red markings I had. May use the old one as secondary/supplemental pouch and mount it to the back of the center console for accessibility. Will see how things go.

This is the only real change/install I was able to do this weekend:

Nothing too exciting for most as only a cosmetic change. While I do like how they go well with the tiki's on the side of the Jeep and the fish hook & surf board inside, I don't like how they look with the Euro style lenses. Hence why I have old school ones on the way (I just couldn't bring myself to visit the dungeon basement to look for the treasure chest footlocker where my originals might be if I kept them). I do like that so far I haven't seen a similar style in town on any vehicle (other than the usual Ram/bow tie/Ford logo's).

Right now my biggest issue is sticking to changes that retain the original utility/general purpose function of the TJ without going too personalized/non-subtle. Just too many cool looking parts out there. Heaven forbid I ever come across a mobile air/flight control tower.

Depending on how things go I'm currently looking at Wednesday to install the grab bar and MOLLE panel after work. Past 72 hours feels like I've slid back some on the progress I've been making since Christmas, hopefully the TJ can keep me focused/occupied/distracted/what-not and things feel differently/back "on track" soon. All this winter-y weather has me looking to Spring and Summer more than usual. Hangin' in there for the time being.

09February2019

Today I learned a valuable lesson: The TJ is nowhere near wide enough to comfortably sleep laying across the front seats like I used to do in the semis. Not that I tried sleeping in the TJ, but given as cold as it was outside today I didn't want to have the doors open while swapping the dash-mounted grab bar with the new black one I picked up here on the forums. So I discovered that stretching from the driver seat over to the passenger of a manual transmission with the parking brake engaged takes a bit of gymnastics and physical contortion. Happy to say I'm still limber enough to pull it off :) ... and that I was correct in thinking the black grab bar above the glove box would help balance the black/grey of the dash, thereby making my lil' bit of OCD happy.

Along with swapping grab bars I also replaced the shoe string holding the lucky surfboard with some jute twine. Looks a lot better and closer to how it originally was. Has the right "feel" if that makes any sense.

Panel from Molle Panel Solutions for the inside of the tailgate arrived earlier in the week. As expected the pouches for the jumper cables and first aid fit in the arrangement I intended. As worried the panel does not play well with the Bestop Insta-Trunk I currently have installed. Going to tentatively wait until Spring and see about picking up a Tuffy trunk. The taller height looks like it should clear the top of the MOLLE panel.

After all the fun outside, I ventured into the dungeon basement to search with my torch Surefire light to locate the treasure chest footlocker with my old take-off parts. Found not only the OEM tail light lens' but also the divider inserts for inside the housings. Unfortunately over the years all the other parts I had down there have become corroded and most likely unusable. OEM fender flares and hitch basket seemed OK in a different part of the dungeon basement, will most likely retrieve and sanitize them next weekend if time allows before relocating them into my shop. All the threads on custom rear interior storage has given me ideas for the hitch rack to finally get some use.

After the short adventure into the underworld, I cleaned up and installed the OEM tail light lens' and interior dividers. I just can't bring myself to like the new guards with the palm trees over the Rampage Euro adapter kit. Figure I'd give the OEM's a week and see if things look better to me. If there was a cerakote shop in town I'd take the old Olympic guards in to get stripped down and refinished along with their hardware. May shoot an email down to the shop in Arkansas and see if they'd be open to the idea. If so will need to remember to ask about some other smaller parts that need refinishing (looking at you Armadillo Off-Road hood footman loop and bumper kit).

So that is my progress this week. May have a potential lead on some full doors in Wisconsin, possibly needing repainted but potentially in the PR4 I'd prefer. Here's hoping :)

Reactions: KimsJeep
17February2019

Nothing big this weekend.

Spent a good block of time Saturday morning arranging/installing/removing/relocating/re-arranging MOLLE pouches on the panel before I install it on the inside of the tailgate. PALS webbing on the base portion of the first aid kit was out of spec as expected. Fortunately that was easily solved with 2 of the fuzzy side velcro panel from Shaddox Tactical. Never would have though my over-collecting morale/logo patches would pay off in a functional way for the Jeep.

Haven't checked since I first got the idea, but there looks to be just enough space above the jumper cables to mount a holder for my old D-cell Maglite. Plenty of LED upgrades and striker bases for it that I may go that route. Eventually will look into how much new LED models cost first. If a light won't fit (which I find difficult to believe with all the models out there) may go with a horizontal oriented Shaddox panel and possibly put some morale/Jeep patches on it. I know some would suggest mounting the light on a roll bar pad or behind a seat, but being my daily driver I'd prefer the out of sight out of mind with mounting it on the tailgate panel.

Thinking of removing the insta-trunk and replacing it with a similar model from Tuffy as it would sit higher and cover a somewhat wider area. Currently in the air on that one. May just go with no "trunk".

Finally, spending time prioritizing the idea list into something a bit more cohesive. High Priority/Urgent parts, Want/Upgrade parts, and then Cosmetic/Just Because parts. Top of any list is fenders, to be installed this Spring. May go with Crown's due to budgetary reasons and the fact that like my favorite rifle I will give up my TJ when I'm six feet under. New carpeting/sound deadening is high on the list, along with Grabars, speaker pods, new front speakers, and possibly a center console security insert. As always full doors is on the list for long term/keep an eye out. After last night's drive the sound deadening and full doors won't be acquired soon enough (like, yesterday type soon enough).

You want to put one of THESE on your jeep?!?! The one the left?!?

Not judging! But as an aviation fan, I'm completely intrigued! Tell me more! 😃

19February2019

Removed the Instatrunk yesterday after work in preparation to install the MPS Molle panel. Bolt heads need some surface rust removed, then considering throwing it up for sale to help off-set the cost of a Tuffy security closure. Pondering measuring out the dimensions of the angled portion of the security enclosure and possibly installing a second Molle panel. Just an idea at this point, but would allow me to mount a back/pouch for the tow strap & gloves, possibly a USGI-style e-tool, maybe the Maglite, one of my SOG knives, and a pouch for the smaller emergency blanket just for some ideas. Will look into more as Spring gets closer. If I measured the area behind the rear seat correctly should give me an open (albeit smaller) area on the "floor" still for occasional shopping items.

Just some thoughts for right now.