RED02TJ 2.0

Fixed the fold and tumble yesterday. More a PITA than hard but a good excuse to wash the bartacts.

Lots of rain in ATL the last few days and I still have leaks in both the passenger and driver side footwells. Looking like the kids get to play with the hose before they go back to school so I can find the leaks.

Scott comes on Thursday for the lift install and fuel pump replacement

Reactions: PRNDL and Wildman
because of the leaks and tornado warnings, last night I put up the rain cover. I checked it tonight, driver side it dry which means the leak is seal related. Passenger side had water on the floor which means it’s cowl or HVAC plenum. I’ve already cleaned the cowl drain, looks like I need to pull it again and seal the airbox and the hvac lines by the FW

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
because of the leaks and tornado warnings, last night I put up the rain cover. I checked it tonight, driver side it dry which means the leak is seal related. Passenger side had water on the floor which means it’s cowl or HVAC plenum. I’ve already cleaned the cowl drain, looks like I need to pull it again and seal the airbox and the hvac lines by the FW
Had a similar leak like that years ago. Did the cowl cleaning and sealing at the heater box intake. Ended up being the seal between the tub and the windshield frame. Had to drop the windshield frame down and run a bead of sealant along the top of the gasket. I don't drop my windshield down anyway, so it was no biggie. Just putting that out there for another possible cause.

Had a similar leak like that years ago. Did the cowl cleaning and sealing at the heater box intake. Ended up being the seal between the tub and the windshield frame. Had to drop the windshield frame down and run a bead of sealant along the top of the gasket. I don't drop my windshield down anyway, so it was no biggie. Just putting that out there for another possible cause.
Looks like mine was the fresh air intake. When I pulled it I could see water on the fan. I cleaned everything out, laid a thick bead of silicone caulk and reinstalled. Once it was back on I then sprayed with flex seal. I gave it a good soaking before I put the cowl back on and its looking dry.

The driver side is being more difficult. It’s looks like a seal issue on the slider window. When I hosed the outside the water just poured in. Pretty sure its from when I rolled the Jeep, I know the window frame is bent and the windows don’t slide smoothly. I coated the inside fabric with flex seal, let’s see if that helps.

Damm Covid: Buddy called this morning and has Rona so moving his trip and lift install out until Feb.

In better news, even as an "Adult" it's still fun to get some unexpected bday cash from a relative. I was able to get a few things on my non critical wish list.
  • Toyota headlights + H4 80/100 bulbs
  • Inch lb torque wrench so I don't tighten my oil pan bolts to 77ft lbs a second time
  • 5th steel procomp so my spare matches
  • New fender flares & hardware

On other notes:
  • Looks like the rope in the upper door seals is working.
  • Still can't tell if I have a RMS or valve cover leak. I threw some baby powder on the bell housing cover to see if I can track down the source. Found the blue felpro gasket on sale so I'll probably change it with the next oil change even though the back of the block looks dry. Pretty sure its not oil pan since that's totally dry.

Still can’t tell if I have a RMS or valve cover leak (which if I can’t tell if I actually have a leak it’s a good thing) in any event, I picked up the parts for a valve cover replacement and unless I see puddles I’ll wait until it’s spring oil change. Scott’s trip is rebooked for the first weekend in Feb, so hopefully third times the charm for the lift install, otherwise I’ll bring it to the shop.

On my overall goal of stock+ which for me means, kids have a fun ride to school, wife doesn’t totally hate taking it on date night, and I can still take it wheeling a few times a year..
Got the Toyota lights + H4 80/100 installed, swapped my previous KC fogs instead of the knock off way too bright driving lights and spent a cold ass weekend installing new fender flares and 303ing them.

Looking forward to being “done for now” by spring time.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Finally got a UV leak detection kit so I can figure out what’s dripping on the bell housing. I put the dye in Thursday night, I’ve driven about 100 miles since then and everything I can see and touch is bone dry. Valve cover, back of the block by the firewall, top of bell hosing by the breather tube, and the bell hosing it’s self, down to the bottom center bolt. I even checked the oil just to be safe.

At this point I give up. In total, I’ve put on about 800 miles since I got the Jeep in Oct, and about 500 since I switched to conventional high mileage.

The only thing I can think of is, Jeep had 32k mile when I got it which means it’s essentially sat for 20yrs. The seals/rubber were shrunken but not yet dry rotted and that all the new fluids and some good miles have restored them. Heat/AC/Defrost all work as expected and no coolant or other leaks has me thinking I’m in the clear.

Next up is dealing with the seats. It’s started to feel like I’m falling in the toilet with my butt sinking and my thighs propped up. Called a few upholstery shops and they want $150 a seat which seems fair to remove/install the seats, replace the foam, and fix any wires. Assuming there a no major surprises with the lift install, this will be my first spring (post bonus) project

Last edited:
Reactions: TRE3TOP and PRNDL
Got the backup camera installed. Not the best pic when in 1st but the monitor fits perfectly in front of the shift bezel and when in R it’s easy to see. Super easy to tap into the Reverse light power and GND from wire bundle just behind the driver side roll bar.

+ found that McMaster-Carr does next day shipping from their ATL warehouse for $8, so I got all my replacement bolts for my lift install.

A014EF63-5024-4676-88F5-FA820D8F4FA6.jpeg

83CCF04C-222E-44D1-9440-1590023C8CD8.jpeg

I started this build thread Oct 15 2021, and today I finally started on my lift install. This weekend was the third rescheduled flight for my friend to fly down from Chicago. The last two times were postponed for my surprise family Disney trip, him getting COVID, and then when we finally have this weekend, there is a major snow storm warning in Chicago. Somehow the snow missed the airports but of course it rained all day today and will tomorrow, but this lift was happening no matter what.

I can’t overstate how helpful it is to have another person to hold the wrench, step on the axels, let alone someone who has done this before. (Rust free Southern Jeep didn’t hurt)
It only took us about 2 hours todo the fronts and with no major issues.

Between tomorrow and Saturday afternoon when he leaves, the plan is to complete 1) rear shocks and springs 2) BOSCH fuel pump 3) rear hitch 4) mount winch.

Monday I’ve got an appointment with the local Jeep shop to, align, mount and balance my new wheels and tires.

A few lessons learned
Doing a lift install in the rain sucks
A Neighbor with a tailgate tent is a good thing
Even with the tent, still got soaked.
Broke the Amazon Chinese breaker bar taking off my lug nuts
^^ super pissed at my local shop(mechanic, not Jeep shop) for wrenching so hard after they installed my BMB that I could even break a breaker bar getting the lugs off.

…to be continued.

F5888474-5293-4EFC-9E8E-797783E197C2.jpeg

92D41A91-B861-4D08-864C-2EE331737099.jpeg

28FE151B-250A-46E9-BBF8-086E1E8E9F9F.jpeg

F6597E5D-3B8F-4C9A-955C-F34FE21D399F.jpeg

9A57DB3B-4243-4930-BC9A-91C69451EF11.jpeg

58558006-41B8-4687-8126-25136E3E5EEB.jpeg

9CA1CEFE-0CFF-429B-906B-64FED8A5F53F.jpeg

ECA3BC98-844E-4993-8912-BA4193449D51.jpeg

Post lift Notes.

I’m hearing a hollow crunching sound from the rear driver side. I hear it 50% of the time at 25mph when going over a speed hump but not when I jump on any of the bumper corners. I crawled under and the only thing I can see is that the rear drive side spring model number is upside down. I can’t get under far enough to measure the coils and the procomp instructions don’t make any mention of top or bottom.

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/13252.pdf