Redux

View attachment 181212
I thought I was sleeping at the wheel and missed something important. Tearing the dash out is one of my lesser favorite things to do on a Jeep. Based on what you have undertaken so far, a walk in the park for you.

First time for me actually. Although I am already very familiar with what's behind it having done plenty of wiring and the roll cage (on my red LJ). I had to call it quits last night after getting a late start but hopefully I can wrap it up tonight. Not particularly difficult, but also not one of the funnest jobs... And a bunch of screws and nuts and connectors to remember...

If you are hanging the dash solo, do yourself a favor and remove the door jamb switches from the jambs before setting the dash back in.

Reactions: toximus
Messy inside.

IMG_20200803_165736.jpg

I totally forgot to mention that I got everything back together. So far no leaks!

IMG_20200804_185811.jpg

Since it can get around -40F here in the winter I mixed the coolant on the stronger side around 70%, hopefully with the water that's leftover in the system it'll end up around 60%. I'm going to check it again in a few days after it's had a chance to mix.

IMG_20200804_172118.jpg

I have a certain respect for you "northern folk". 106* on average for 3 months of the year might put me in the "crazy" category as well.

The hub kits are well worth it. Even driving at slower speeds there's an improvement to having them unlocked. We've been keeping the hubs unlocked in the summer and locked in the winter so it's always easy to remember which state the hubs are in.

The worst part of it all was that the axle shafts, brakes, and rims all needed to be modified at the same time to work together.
I was excited to read this the other day since I was soon going to be installing my hub kit. I kind of wondered what you meant because I thought the only problem it would solve was the high speed vibes but now that I installed mine it feels all around more pleasant to drive now. It’s hard to explain but it feels smoother and more stable to me at all speeds.

Reactions: Mrs Tox
I was excited to read this the other day since I was soon going to be installing my hub kit. I kind of wondered what you meant because I thought the only problem it would solve was the high speed vibes but now that I installed mine it feels all around more pleasant to drive now. It’s hard to explain but it feels smoother and more stable to me at all speeds.

I'm glad to hear that!

I get your drift. I've had the front ds off enough times to know there is a certain "niceness" to having that disconnection.

Interestingly my LJ has no discernable difference having the hubs locked or unlocked and no vibes. Same transmission, similar lift height.

Reactions: starkey480
Interestingly my LJ has no discernable difference having the hubs locked or unlocked and no vibes. Same transmission, similar lift height.
Longer wheelbase and larger tires... Different rotational speed and less angle.

Of course, there are enough instances of identically lifted TJ's with the same size tires that exhibit different vibs.

And then there's @bobthetj03 and his vibrajeep

Last winter the HVAC fan stopped working sporadically and I narrowed it down to a fried electrical connector that isn't seating well. If anyone is parting out a TJ I'd be interested in buying this connector and the headlight bezel screws from you.

img_20200315_172244-jpg.jpg

Spliced in a new (used) connector:

IMG_20200816_182841.jpg