Refreshed my TJ!

GTboosted

TJ Enthusiast
Scroll down to the post by @glwood for pics if you dont want to click on the links.

Before.

The day I bought it a few weeks ago. It's a one owner 99 TJ Sport 4.0 with a factory Dana 44 and with 52k miles in Chille Pepper Red Pearl. The previous owner was a sweet 87 year old man that had meticulous maintenance records but it appears he was not so carefull with the paint. There was extensive damage that the color appeared matte in some lighting.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UGkKWGG

After paint correction.

I love how the color changes in different lighting now that the metallic flakes are showing!

http://imgur.com/gallery/dQlf6Br

Last edited:
Wow, looks new again! What do you mean by "paint correction?"

It's pretty much removing paint imperfections via mechanical means. Wet sanding, polishing with abrasive compound, and then polishing it up. It's very labor intensive. I a paid a pro to do mine. I want to learn one day but right now I live in a apartment so there's no way yet lol

Looks awesome! If I wasn't planning on having mine re-sprayed, I would definitely do this!

If you dont have multiple deep scratches that go down to the metal. I would highly recommend this!

In person it looks better than new!

That is if you do not want to change the color though.

I always thought they weren't able to cut and buff a vehicle unless there was multiple layers of clear coats on it, which most factory paint jobs don't have. Maybe I was wrong?

Amazing transformation. I have considered having this done to mine...what does a job like this generally run?

It's pretty much removing paint imperfections via mechanical means. Wet sanding, polishing with abrasive compound, and then polishing it up. It's very labor intensive. I a paid a pro to do mine. I want to learn one day but right now I live in a apartment so there's no way yet lol
Damn, that is cool. I can see how labor intensive it would be.

I hope you don't mind me adding these here...I hate clicking links to go look at photos.
Before
kMaidBi.jpg

pycIUCy.jpg

RG0DW3n.jpg

hrBWgEF.jpg

After
tyGpNXl.jpg

YwkNNKu.jpg

ENgLmO2.jpg

6HVbziL.jpg

iMNMAqR.jpg

eKgGuo8.jpg

7s312VJ.jpg

glGYBWp.jpg

:D
Nice job on the flares, also.

I always thought they weren't able to cut and buff a vehicle unless there was multiple layers of clear coats on it, which most factory paint jobs don't have. Maybe I was wrong?

All vehicles have multiple layers of clear coat I think. Some more than others and some have no clear coat ie:single stage paint where clear is mixed in with the color. Usually it's mainly on old classic cars but some manufacturers still do single stage pain like on a white Tacoma.

Also some clear is soft and some hard. On the TJ and LJ it's hard from my research and my detailer telling me. If the previous owners have not done a "cut" then you are a prime candidate.

The hardest part was finding a pro at a reasonable cost. Some detailers had 100s of reviews but when I looked them up most of their pics was of new cars being foamed up. I lucked out and found a guy working from his garage and all his pics showed paint correction.

In all honesty, the paint on my 99 TJ now looks better than my 2018 GMC Terrain or 2013 Honda Civic.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
Not at all! I would do the same just couldn't figure out how. Back in the day I used photobucket. Now I dont know what lol
When you are posting, use the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom right. In this case, I went to your link, right clicked each photo, and pasted each one into my reply.

Reactions: GTboosted
When you are posting, use the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom right. In this case, I went to your link, right clicked each photo, and pasted each one into my reply.

I thought that way it would still make you click on "attachment" for every single pic.

It's been a while since I've been on a forum....

Gee Whiz GT, How can I get this done on my TJ?

I have over 20 hours into the exterior myself. I replaced the fender flares for about $100. Also bought a big bottle of "solution finish" for all other black trim.

When I took it to my detailer I had most trim off of it so I had a chance to clean and refurbish them. This also means he had had an easier time correcting the paint.

My paint needs correction! Can you help me correct my paint? Do I need Solution Finish?

Solution finish if for black TRIM only.

My first detail quote had an option to coat my trim with solution finish for $60. I found the bottle online for $30 and I can do my wrangler dozens of times for less than that.

Real paint correction is labor intensive and I would recommend a pro. If I had a garage I would practice on a junk yard hood. But since I dont have a garage I looked up a pro.

If you have a garage and are mechanically inclined, you can practice yourself. But hiring a pro is probably better.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Would you happen to know where I could get a bottle of paint correction? Or, if you have any Snake Oil that would do...Or any bottle of magic elixir.