Refurbishing OEM fog lights

The Real Lxxtsy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I finally decided take care of the oxidation on the stock fog lights and the issue was from the inside of the glass. I took the light apart and clean the inside of the glass and what a huge difference it made. If your fogies need some attention follow the steps below.

Before:
20170923_185300.jpg

Steps:

1. Need torx 15 and small flat screwdriver
20171003_183040.jpg

2. Take the 3 screws out that
20171003_183059.jpg

3. Remove the bulb and disconnect the negative terminal and pop the light off the front base.
20171003_183149.jpg

4. Use the screwdriver to remove the sealant around the base and glass.
20171003_183309.jpg

5. Insert the screwdriver in the opening of the base and gently pry it off. You might have to remove excess sealant holding the base and glass together.
20171003_183526.jpg

6. Clean glass and internal housing.
20170923_185251.jpg

20170923_185436.jpg

20170923_190155.jpg

7. Use sealant to seal the base and glass together.

8. Reassemble the lights back together.

20170924_145830.jpg

Wow, those look so much better! Good job, because a new set of fog lights is something like $120 per light! I actually didn't even realize they came apart so that you could clean the lens, so this is news to me as well!

Resurrecting this thread ......
Will be removing the OEM fog's to clean them ....
Will shop around for a suitable sealer.
Question: Has anyone modified the reflector in front of the bulb ? What were the results ?
Yes, I did, wiggled it and broke it off. You don't get that one spot up top that is blacked out anymore. Personally, I like look without the reflector. Hope this pic helps.

20180116_195721.jpg

LED, 27 watts. It's not bright cause of the low wattage, but still looks cool. One of these days, I'll upgrade to full LED foggies.
Very cool! That's what I need to do in the meantime. I have yet to find a single round LED foglight that I like the look of. I want some that look as close to factory as possible.

Reactions: ScottyD
Ixxtsy ..... thanks for the info here in your thread!
Used a putty knife to separate the lens from the reflector. Cleaned the old sealant off the glass, and used fine steel wool to 'etch' the seal portion.
A thin uniform bead of clear silicone Marine Sealer was used on the sealing edge of the glass. This was done by slowly rotating the glass while applying the sealer from a stationary position. Somewhat like a needle on a vinyl LP .....
A final smoothing -out
after the reflector was carefully set in place ......
Also removed the tin reflector inside ....
Curing time for the Marine Sealer is 12hrs.
These are a quality light ..... mine are marked Made in Germany.
Thanks again .....

Reactions: Matt77 and Chris
Ixxtsy ..... thanks for the info here in your thread!
Used a putty knife to separate the lens from the reflector. Cleaned the old sealant off the glass, and used fine steel wool to 'etch' the seal portion.
A thin uniform bead of clear silicone Marine Sealer was used on the sealing edge of the glass. This was done by slowly rotating the glass while applying the sealer from a stationary position. Somewhat like a needle on a vinyl LP .....
A final smoothing -out
after the reflector was carefully set in place ......
Also removed the tin reflector inside ....
Curing time for the Marine Sealer is 12hrs.
These are a quality light ..... mine are marked Made in Germany.
Thanks again .....
You're welcome my friend and it's so easy to do :beer-toast1:

Reactions: Chris
I too did this "fix" based on your thread. So thank you. Mine was oxidized badly, but looks new now. I removed the entire fog lamp assembly from the Jeep to do this (so I could do it inside in better conditions). I used glass RTV (clear). Came out well. Once I put the fog back on my Jeep, I realized the other one, which does not have a foggy lens. Has a partially rusted reflector, like yours. So it looks different from my newly refurbished one. So I need to figure out what to do about that one. The reflector on the one I fixed was perfect so I left it in. Don't really want to take them both apart to remove both reflectors, so I will likely try to paint over the reflector on the one I still need to work on.

Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited:
I tried to do something similar to this when I first got my fogs but was afraid of breaking the plastic tabs.
Now that I know it is possible I'm going to this give this a try this weekend.

Having difficulty removing the fog light covers on my ‘03 to check the lights. I’ve tried pulling and prying, but am worried if I pry too hard I’m going to break them. Anyone have any luck or know any tricks to removing the covers?

209349ED-80A0-4207-93D8-A9EE5FC062FD.jpeg

Having difficulty removing the fog light covers on my ‘03 to check the lights. I’ve tried pulling and prying, but am worried if I pry too hard I’m going to break them. Anyone have any luck or know any tricks to removing the covers?
My advice would be to take it off the Jeep so u can work on it more easily. I believe that cover is held on with screws. They may be clips but if so you may need to use a flat head screw driver to pry off the covers. Much easier to do with the fog on a bench. One bolt through the bumper and one wire harness undo and it is off.

Reactions: NEOHJeeper
My advice would be to take it off the Jeep so u can work on it more easily. I believe that cover is held on with screws. They may be clips but if so you may need to use a flat head screw driver to pry off the covers. Much easier to do with the fog on a bench. One bolt through the bumper and one wire harness undo and it is off.
Thank you for the recommendation. Good idea for the benchwork. I’m going to try this weekend as soon as I can get a free moment or two.

Thank you for the advice MDE. Tried tonight by pulling like crazy on the bottom right “tab” of each fog lamp cover and got them both to come off. Both are oxidized, even though they’ve been covered, and need to be refurbished. Luckily I didn’t have to take off the bumper as I’m out of PB Blaster and the nuts are rusted pretty badly. May save for a winter project in total.