Reheat burgers under the hood? Other trail food included

We were on a road trip from Chicago to Cali and Dad cooked a roast driving across Montana, I don't remember much of it but Mom said the potatoes tasted like exhaust.
:LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: Cooking a fucking roast on the engine during a road trip, your dad sounds like an awesome dude! "Lunch won't be done 'til Idaho, stop asking!"

Last edited:
It never works like you think it will. Re heating a burrito on a manifold like the guys did back in the day is different from putting one in the engine bay;
1. its got to be in foil and ON the manifold, most meals like this were on heavy equipment that wasn't blazing trails.
2. Just tossing it in the engine bay wont warm it up, only breed bacteria
A foiled burrito or sausage on the 4.0 fuel rail with an unlouvered hood in warm weather gets hot. Do it all the time.

Edit - I wouldn't necessarily try to cook one from raw. Might work though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
A foiled burrito or sausage on the 4.0 fuel rail with an unlouvered hood in warm weather gets hot. Do it all the time.

Now I want to rig up my wireless probe & see how long it takes to get a tri-tip up to 140 while I wheel. Maybe put a foil container of wood chips in there somewhere for flavor.

I know it works. Like you said it needs to be on direct heat. Just tossing something in the engine bay doesn’t warm things up very well

I remember that pre-Covid routine:

Pick up fresh coffee and gas station burrito on the way to a run.

Put the burrito on the fuel rail. Drink the coffee.

Hot lunch at lunchtime.

In fact, it became a regular thing on last year's overlanding trip to Baja for several of us to order burritos to go from the local cantina after finishing breakfast to put on the engine to keep warm for later in the day.

As my friend Danno put it, "just in case the fish aren't biting by 4:20."

Naturally, I had no idea what he was referring to.

Found another book!!!

1592266724737.jpeg

Reactions: Blondie70
Early 70’s we were transferring between duty stations. Picked up the Chevelle Station Wagon in Florida after it was shipped back from Gitmo and headed for NAS Whidbey. Via Tennessee, Missouri and Iowa to visit family. My mother would make dinner each night on the road big enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. Plopped on the manifold in foil when we travelled on in the morning. I don’t remember ever having a cold hobo lunch, LOL. I’ve never done it traveling with my own vehicles. Mostly because the handiness of lightweight propane or butane stoves and mess gear. Not like the white gas Coleman monster we had back then. The thought of doing it does cross my mind every so often.

Reactions: JLLJ and Apparition
Oh yeah, foil packet of leftovers on the exhaust manifold of the loader or grader in the morning and by lunch it's hot again.
And when 4:20 comes around, chips and salsa are good enough, unless someone makes a run for some tacos.

Campbell's soup on my Freightliner manifold when I stopped for a lunch break. Open the can just a little set it on the manifold with the truck idling and in 15 minutes or so it was good and warm. Burrito on a jeep manifold several times while wheeling!!

Reactions: Apparition
Mom said the potatoes tasted like exhaust.

that's one thing that's kept me from it. All the various offgassing going on in an engine bay just doesn't seem like it's going to do the flavors any favors. I re-heated hot dogs once, but I did it when the engine had just been turned off, so they warmed up a bit while I was doing some other stuff, and came back to them 15-20 minutes later. They weren't cold, but they weren't hot either.

My engine leaks enough oil that it would wouldn't be apple wood smoked, more like essence of 15w-40.

yep - I have a slight front diff cover leak that works its way back to the yoke and gets spun onto the exhaust. Burned gear oil wouldn't be a pleasant taste.